Trent-Lion

Thanks John Weeks & trader4.

The AC has two settings: Exhaust and Closed. I keep it on Closed.

I did not look closely enough at my AC set-up. The closet into which
the back of the AC sticks has a platform on which the AC sits and has a
fairly large screen window (about 2ft by 3ft), at AC level, in the
closet wall that faces the garage. The platform closes off the closet
itself from the space (at the top of the closet) in which the AC sits.
So the part of the closet in which the AC sits gets a good deal of
outside air from the interior of the garage, which has no doors on it.

Room is 400 sq ft. According to dealer I got it from, AC is 9000 btu,
not 14,000 as I remembered. One online formula using sq ft only said
9-10000 btu should do this room. Another one, into which I plugged sq
ft of windows, number of doors, etc., said 18000. This great
difference surprises me.

I guess I just have too small a unit for what I want it to do.

Thx for help.
T-L

In article .com,
wrote:

How hot is it in the closet? That is certainly not where an A/C should
be placed to dump heat. If it's very hot in the closet, that will
limit how effective the unit can be. I'd measure the temp of the air
coming out when you first turn the unit on. Wait about 5 mins, then
see how cold the air is coming out. I'll be it's a lot colder. If it
is, then you're problem is the closet. If you can rig a fan in the
closet to move air in/out, that would fix it.