Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Massachusetts Homestead Filing Questions

I'm in Massachusetts, and I'm about to file homestead declaration using
the form I downloaded from my county register. My lawyer wants to
charge $65 ($35 for self-filing), and trying to save a few bucks. My
family lives in a typical single family with a mortgage.

- What's the difference between 'registered land' and 'recorded land'?
I'm supposed to file one or the other.

- Both my wife and my name are on the deed. Do we both need to sign
it, or just one of us?

Thanks.

Jonathan Kamens

writes:
- What's the difference between 'registered land' and 'recorded land'?
I'm supposed to file one or the other.

See
http://www.lawrencedeeds.com/homestead.asp, which is the
third match that shows up if you Google for "Massachusetts
recorded land". You ought to consider spending two minutes to
do a Web search before posting a message to the entire world.

- Both my wife and my name are on the deed. Do we both need to sign
it, or just one of us?

Just one of you. It covers the whole family. I found the
answer to this question on the fifth match when I Googled for
"Massachusetts homestead declaration".

In misc.consumers.house wrote:

wrote:
In misc.consumers.house
wrote:
I'm in Massachusetts, and I'm about to file homestead declaration using
the form I downloaded from my county register. My lawyer wants to
charge $65 ($35 for self-filing), and trying to save a few bucks. My
family lives in a typical single family with a mortgage.

- What's the difference between 'registered land' and 'recorded land'?
I'm supposed to file one or the other.

- Both my wife and my name are on the deed. Do we both need to sign
it, or just one of us?

Read these links.

http://www.lowelldeeds.com/home.htm

I've read it, but it still doesn't answer my 1st question.

From page one of the PDF that contains the form.

"3. Fill in the correct "Title Reference." For those who own recorded land
(most homeowners) that is the book and page number of the deed by which you
became the owner of the property. These numbers are usually pritnted on
your copy of your deed. You may also look them up on our website or find
them on your property tax bill. If you own "registered land" you should
write your certificate of title number on the "Other" space."

Don't assume I didn't do any search. I searched for 'registered land'
vs. 'recorded land' searching for clarafication.

I had read the FAQ posted by 'someone', and had read the part about
husband/wife, but then got confused by joint ownership with a brother,
hence the question for clarification in my original post. Your reply
'covers the whole family' doesn't answer the joint ownership. It
refers to what happens when the signer dies. The rest of the family is
covered. You answered the wrong question that wasn't asked.

You should spend two minutes to read the question.

On 21 Jun 2005 07:37:49 -0700, someone wrote:

I've read it, but it still doesn't answer my 1st question.

Hire a lawyer to advise you. Of course, that might actually cost
MONEY. Don't get snotty over how free advice doesn't meet your
standards.