Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dan

Default Window A/C installation ?

Hi,

I'm considering installing a 10-12,000 btu window a/c, weight is about 100
lbs.

The window I have is 4'w x6'h. The upper 2' is a horizontal sliding pane and
can be removed easily.That's where the unit would be installed, at the top
not on the window sill part.

I'm concerned about vibrational noise and the weight of the unit.
I'm wondering what would be the best way to install this. Unfortunately I'm
on the 2nd floor and can't really get outside to secure it.
Is there any way that I can create a good secure fit into the window.?

We currently have a 65lb. one in our bedroom, same window design.Seems quite
sturdy but there is a low level bass vibration sound emanating from the
space which is somewhat annoying. The sound is kind of like a truck idling
below our apartment.

Thanks.

OptionARMpopeye

I had a similar situation in the master wing entertainment room. The
central air was not cooling it properly and the rework would have cost
thousands. As a result the worker installed a window unit with a
pre-fabricated steel frame with legs that went from the furthest point
out to the siding. It worked great, looked horrible when it turned
everything green and mossy. I had the worker remove it and tear up the
ceiling and floor above the entertainment room to re work the ducts.
That worked even better. Though it cost nearly $18,000 + the 3,000 I
already invested in the window unit.

ameijers

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

100 pounds static load, much less the vibration, is really pushing it for
the horizontal stile of a window frame. I think you have been lucky with the
smaller unit. Metal frames, I assume? Rental property too, I take it, since
you are second floor, and have no outside access?

About all I can suggest is a jam-fit interior structure, bolted through the
case of the AC, inside the room. If window interior is inset in wall, maybe
within the window well, otherwise between floor and ceiling of room. Use
whatever is tolerable looking, but stiff, for the verticals, and tapered
shims and a protective strip for a very stiff fit against ceiling or top of
window well. Kind of like those tall bookcases that used to be popular-
jammed against ceiling so they won't tip over. If this is an apartment with
hard plaster or concrete ceilings, a jam fit should carry the weight. If you
design it right, there should be little or no weight on window frame itself-
the verticals carry it down to floor, and the upper structure dampens the
vibrations. Make sure AC sticks out of window far enough that side vents are
not blocked.

How do your neighbors have their AC units mounted? If they invented
something that works, they will probably be proud to show it off. Copy what
they did.

aem sends...