Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default New picture window installation questions?

I want to put a picture window on a wall where there is no window.

The view from the side is pretty and the light would enhance the living
room.

The interior wall is plasterboard and the exterior wall is vinyl
siding.

The size of the picturewindow area is appr 7' x 4'.

Has anyone out there had a similar size window installed??

Am looking for advice based on your experience.

What ballpark expense am I looking at for the installation?

Thanks much gor your advice/help!

Jim

On 25 May 2005 08:42:05 -0700, someone wrote:

The interior wall is plasterboard and the exterior wall is vinyl
siding.

And the wall is wood framed? (I think you left that part out.) How
much load is on it, stories, span, direction of framing, any unusual
point loads? Doesn't sound like rocket science, but does sound like
structural framing carpentry, then finish work.

Alan Sung

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to put a picture window on a wall where there is no window.

The view from the side is pretty and the light would enhance the living
room.

The interior wall is plasterboard and the exterior wall is vinyl
siding.

The size of the picturewindow area is appr 7' x 4'.

Has anyone out there had a similar size window installed??

Am looking for advice based on your experience.

What ballpark expense am I looking at for the installation?

Some more info is needed. 1st floor, 2nd floor? How far from the ground on
the outside? Is it 2x4 framing? Are there electrical outlets or lines in the
wall that may need to be relocated? Where are you located?

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

No

It doesn't sound like you are planning to do it yourself. Ignore the other
posters. Get at minimum 3 estimates. Make sure they all quote, off of the
top of my head:
The window, brand and model
relocate any electrical if present
Header if required
drywall repairs
siding replacement as necessary
flashing as recommended by window manufacturer
interior trim
painting

You may do good going to a window showroom for Pella or something. get some
catalogs and pick out the window. Have each installer quote you for the
exact window you want. That way you get an apples to apples comparison.

BTW - I am in SE PA and do this kind of work on the side. Reply here if you
are near by and want a price (After I look at it)

No one can really give you an accurate price via the net, sight unseen. The
window itself may cost $300, it may cost $3000. Depends on a lot of things.
You trim may be stock and molding or it may require custom molder cutting to
match rest of house.

Really rough - Total cost $1000 to $5000 depending on the things I
mentioned.

oups.com...