Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Userb3

Default Pool Cleaner for Concrete Pool

We've inherited a 30 yr old concrete pool with stainless steel sides, and
its a bear to keep clean. We'd like to invest in an automatic pool cleaner
(preferably one that doesn't rely on the pool's main pump) to clean/scrub
algae, dirt, and other debris on the pool bottom.

I've found a "Pool Hog" for around $400. What else can you recommend in the
under $600 range?

--

http://www.gopchoice.org/
Travis Jordan

Userb3 wrote:
I've found a "Pool Hog" for around $400. What else can you recommend
in the under $600 range?

I've owned almost every brand, and the most reliable and trouble-free
cleaners have been Polaris.

Check out the Polaris 180 - should be available on the 'net for $600 or
less.
http://www.mypool.com/Products/Catalog/Data/pol180.htm

Userb3

"Travis Jordan" wrote in news:STmle.302424$Sq.156543
@fe05.news.easynews.com:

Userb3 wrote:
I've found a "Pool Hog" for around $400. What else can you recommend
in the under $600 range?

I've owned almost every brand, and the most reliable and trouble-free
cleaners have been Polaris.

Check out the Polaris 180 - should be available on the 'net for $600 or
less.
http://www.mypool.com/Products/Catalog/Data/pol180.htm

Thanks for the rec.

--

http://www.gopchoice.org/
Userb3

Userb3 wrote:
I've found a "Pool Hog" for around $400. What else can you recommend
in the under $600 range?

I've owned almost every brand, and the most reliable and trouble-free
cleaners have been Polaris.

Check out the Polaris 180 - should be available on the 'net for $600 or
less.
http://www.mypool.com/Products/Catalog/Data/pol180.htm

I notice their website doesn't mention concrete pools. How does the polaris
do on concrete?

--

http://www.gopchoice.org/
Travis Jordan

Userb3 wrote:
I notice their website doesn't mention concrete pools. How does the
polaris do on concrete?

Is your pool really concrete or is it gunite with marsite or a crushed
stone finish?

If it is really finished concrete I think any pool sweep would still
work fine, you'd just have to replace the tires and tail scrubbers a bit
more frequently due to faster wear. (Isn't concrete hard on your skin
when you scuff it against the walls?).

Userb3

"Travis Jordan" wrote in
m:

Userb3 wrote:
I notice their website doesn't mention concrete pools. How does the
polaris do on concrete?

Is your pool really concrete or is it gunite with marsite or a crushed
stone finish?

It's really concrete

If it is really finished concrete I think any pool sweep would still
work fine, you'd just have to replace the tires and tail scrubbers a
bit more frequently due to faster wear. (Isn't concrete hard on your
skin when you scuff it against the walls?).

That's why there are stainless steel sides on the top 4'.

But further looking at the Polaris shows that it uses my existing pump.
I'm looking for something that operates independently of the existing
filter system and pump. I want the skimmers and returns to be free to
circulate and clean surface debris.

--

http://www.gopchoice.org/
Travis Jordan

Userb3 wrote:
But further looking at the Polaris shows that it uses my existing
pump. I'm looking for something that operates independently of the
existing filter system and pump. I want the skimmers and returns to
be free to circulate and clean surface debris.

Um, not the Polaris 180/280, both of which require an external booster
pump. You must be looking at a different model.

Userb3

"Travis Jordan" wrote in news:vDnle.552938$QY2.172246
@fe01.news.easynews.com:

Userb3 wrote:
But further looking at the Polaris shows that it uses my existing
pump. I'm looking for something that operates independently of the
existing filter system and pump. I want the skimmers and returns to
be free to circulate and clean surface debris.

Um, not the Polaris 180/280, both of which require an external booster
pump. You must be looking at a different model.

So its not connected to the pool's filter/circulation system at all? What
is the booster pump boosting?

--

http://www.gopchoice.org/
Travis Jordan

Userb3 wrote:
So its not connected to the pool's filter/circulation system at all?
What is the booster pump boosting?

The booster pump input connects to the circulating pump outlet, and of
course the outlet of the booster pump connects to the pool sweep. That
is pretty much the way they all work.

http://www.polarispoolsystems.com/pdf/180.pdf

Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
http://www.polarispoolsystems.com/pdf/180.pdf

and

http://www.polarispoolsystems.com/pdf/booster.pdf

Bill

On 26 May 2005 16:09:55 GMT, Userb3 wrote:

We've inherited a 30 yr old concrete pool with stainless steel sides, and
its a bear to keep clean. We'd like to invest in an automatic pool cleaner
(preferably one that doesn't rely on the pool's main pump) to clean/scrub
algae, dirt, and other debris on the pool bottom.

get a Polaris pool cleaner...the best

I've found a "Pool Hog" for around $400. What else can you recommend in the
under $600 range?

just go ahead and spring for the Polaris...it ain't cheap but it
really does work...

http://www.polarispoolsystems.com/home.htm

The stench of poor quality lasts much longer than the pleasure of
saving a few bucks on a half assed system...if you can't afford to get
the good one now...just keep cleaning the pool with your manual vacuum
until you can afford the good one!

Regards,
Bill

Pool cleaner floating Mike Home Repair 2 May 5th 04 02:44 PM
Need advice automatic cover for (fiberglass) pool Dolchas Home Ownership 0 March 22nd 04 11:07 PM
Draining pool for Winter Alex Home Repair 0 November 30th 03 07:21 PM
Hayward Navigator pool cleaner gets stuck at steps Pond Scum Home Repair 2 July 31st 03 05:10 PM