Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

js5895

Default gas trimmer won't start

Hi,

I can't get my gas trimmer to start.
The instructions say:
1 Slowly press the primer bulb 7x.
2 Set to "FULL CHOKE".
3 Squeeze throttle trigger fully and pull
starter handle sharply until engine attempts
to run (no more than 8x).
4 Set to "HALF CHOKE".
5 Squeeze throttle trigger fully and pull
starter handle until engine runs
(no more than 6x).
6 Allow engine to run 15 seconds, set to "RUN".
I followed that, and it wouldn't start. My neighbor came over,
primed it 3 times, set it to run, squeezed and held throttle down,
and pulled the starter handle and the engine started, at lease
I think that's what he did because, he did it so fast I couldn't see
it.
I did the same and I can't start it, how do you people start them?
Also, what's with the full choke/half choke lever, I know what it is,
I just don't know when to use it.

Thanks, for all your help.

steve

When first starting my gas (2 stroke) trimmer I set the choke to fully
closed and prime the bulb a few times.

I pull the cord a few times while holding the throttle trigger wide open
until I hear the engine try to start (It typically wont run with full choke)

At this point I will set the choke to about half way and give it another
pull (with throttle trigger held wide open) and it usually starts.

After a 15 or so seconds I open the choke all the way so the motor
doesn't load up with too much fuel.

Pulling on the throttle trigger at the same time I pull the cord seems
necessary to get it to start at all so don't forget.

I think that once you get the hang of the 'trick' for your trimmer you
will remember what its particular needs are and never have another problem.

Good luck, and remember to wear shoes and glasses when using it.

Steve

js5895 wrote:
[...]

Al Bundy

js5895 wrote:
[...]

Your written methodology is correct. The trimmer starts right off when
your neighbor "did it so fast I couldn't see it." Maybe you are just
pulling the starter too slowly.

Kevtrane

After repeated trips back to my lawn shop where I bought my trimmer and
watching the tech guy there start it with virtually no problem I
learned 2 very important lessons.

1) I pulled like a wimp and needed to really put some oomph into it!

2) Old gas sucks. I make sure to only mix a gallon at a time and get
rid of it if it sits for 3 months or more. I also use quality 2 Cycle
oil. I was skeptical of this but have found it to be very important in
helping my machine start more reliably.

Good Luck

js5895

Thanks for your help. I got it running and I'm starting to get the
hang of getting it running and using the choke. yeah I know, I had
to pull it really hard to start it but, now it's easy. Also my gas
is like 4 years old.

Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
js5895 wrote:

Also my gas
is like 4 years old.

So get rid of it.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
js5895

Too late, I only have about 1/2 a gallon left.
so I need to refill anyway. It's a 5 gallon
tank. I put fuel additives in the tank and in the
engine's but, I don't know if it's doing anything.

Thanks.

On 31 May 2005 20:26:48 -0700, someone wrote:

Too late, I only have about 1/2 a gallon left.
so I need to refill anyway. It's a 5 gallon
tank.

So get rid of the 1/2.

And don't fill the 5 gallon tank all the way.

Better yey, buy a one gallon tank, then you can fill that all the way.

js5895

Yeah I know, when I got my trimmer home I just
noticed that I needed a one gallon tank because,
I use the 5 gallon for the mower and filling the
trimmer's little tank would be awkward, Also I had to
mix oil with the gas 50:1, for the trimmer. Currently
I'm using a Gatorade bottle to store the oil and
gas mixture for the trimmer.