Jeff Wisnia

Default Tecumseh HMSK-80 Hard to start, need help

Ignoramus21799 wrote:
I bought a used bolens 24" snowblower with a shot 6hp engine. I
replaced that engine with a new 8hp Tecumseh HMSK-80 engine with a
recoil start. Had to drill new holes in the body of the snowblower,
clean up the transmission for easier shifting, but no big deal.

Anyway, yesterday it started and worked great and I even plowed a
little bit of snow. Then I left the snowblower outdoors overnight, and
in the morning it was approximately 8F or so, quite frosty.

I tried to start it, at no avail. It just would not start. I did push
the primer bulb, opened the choke etc. There is fuel in the
carburetor. It felt as though there is no spark. Any idea whether it
could be the case, or is there anything else I forgot to check?

The gasoline is about 1 year old.

There may be gas in the carb, but if there was any water in that old gas
a tiny bit of ice may be blocking the carb jet.

The quickest way to find out is to give it a whif of "starting spray"
(ether). If it fires up on that, you've got spark. If it doesn't, you
probably haven't.

Put a little Dri-Gas (alcohol) in that old gas, too, or better yet, dump
it in your car's gas tank and buy some fresh gas for the blower.

Just my .02,

Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

to blame it on."

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM