Sandman

Default PC Soft start module.

I am trying to revive an old Speedmatic PC 7535 router. It was bought
about 15 years ago and had no more than a couple of hours of use when it
suddenly failed to start. The original purchaser just let it sit there
for all this time. I can use it if I can revive it.
I checked continuity in all the obvious places. Swithes work. All
circuits, field windings, commutators, brushes all check out fine.
I think it may be the soft start module. But before I drop $45.37 to
replace it, I was hoping to find out if somebody from The Wrecking Crew
may have had a similar experience.

PS... the local PC/Delta repair dude suggested he could make it work
again for $105.00.

Rob
Bob

Is it worth it? You can buy a new Porter cable 690 router at Home
Depot for $99.

Leon

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it worth it? You can buy a new Porter cable 690 router at Home
Depot for $99.

This is true but it would be like going from a cabinet saw to a bench top
saw.

sandman

In article ,
"Charles Spitzer" wrote:

what happens if you jump across the soft start module?

Do I dare do that? I can see where the 'hot' lead goes in and out of the
module which feeds the triac, but that leaves me with a little blue wire.
If I cut that, it would take the whole module out of the circuit.
Hmmmmmm.... okay. I'm used to the kick from the PC production routers
anyway, (those large diameter NO soft start "3 1/2 HP" bodies) every
time I turn one of those on, I end up looking the other way...even with
the 5 speed.
I used to buy a couple of those every two/three years, now I do all the
bull work with Hitachi M12V's and keep the old production routers for
jobs that require the use of specialty base plates/jigs.

I hope to use that router with a full-size lock-mitre bit, and the soft
start is kinda nice for that...... *dreaming of a shaper*

Charles Spitzer

"sandman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Charles Spitzer" wrote:

what happens if you jump across the soft start module?

Do I dare do that? I can see where the 'hot' lead goes in and out of the
module which feeds the triac, but that leaves me with a little blue wire.
If I cut that, it would take the whole module out of the circuit.
Hmmmmmm.... okay. I'm used to the kick from the PC production routers
anyway, (those large diameter NO soft start "3 1/2 HP" bodies) every
time I turn one of those on, I end up looking the other way...even with
the 5 speed.
I used to buy a couple of those every two/three years, now I do all the
bull work with Hitachi M12V's and keep the old production routers for
jobs that require the use of specialty base plates/jigs.

I hope to use that router with a full-size lock-mitre bit, and the soft
start is kinda nice for that...... *dreaming of a shaper*

note, that was a rhetorical question. i don't know what it's supposed to do
if you do so. however, if it starts up, then that narrows it down to where
the fault is. and no, i don't know what the blue wire is for.

Greg O

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it worth it? You can buy a new Porter cable 690 router at Home
Depot for $99.

The 690 is a "baby" router compared to the 7535!
Greg

Greg O

Do you have the number right? I never heard of a 7535, do you mean the
7538???
If so consider buying the 5 speed module for a 7539 instead of the soft
start module. I did it to my 7538 and am not sorry!
Greg

"Sandman" wrote in message
I am trying to revive an old Speedmatic PC 7535 router. It was bought
about 15 years ago and had no more than a couple of hours of use when it
suddenly failed to start. The original purchaser just let it sit there
for all this time. I can use it if I can revive it.
I checked continuity in all the obvious places. Swithes work. All
circuits, field windings, commutators, brushes all check out fine.
I think it may be the soft start module. But before I drop $45.37 to
replace it, I was hoping to find out if somebody from The Wrecking Crew
may have had a similar experience.

PS... the local PC/Delta repair dude suggested he could make it work
again for $105.00.

Rob

Sandman

In article ,
"Greg O" wrote:

Do you have the number right? I never heard of a 7535, do you mean the
7538???
If so consider buying the 5 speed module for a 7539 instead of the soft
start module. I did it to my 7538 and am not sorry!
Greg

7538 indeed.
5 speed module can be retrofitted?
I'd prefer that too.
Greg O

"Sandman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Greg O" wrote:

Do you have the number right? I never heard of a 7535, do you mean the
7538???
If so consider buying the 5 speed module for a 7539 instead of the soft
start module. I did it to my 7538 and am not sorry!
Greg

7538 indeed.
5 speed module can be retrofitted?
I'd prefer that too.

I did it to mine, worked great!
You need,
875087 speed control
874160 control lever
873300 filler plate

Those are the parts that fit mine. Now my 7538 was a fairly current model so
it was not a problem, I do not know if these parts will fit older versions
for sure, I believe they will. Seems to my mine was a type 3, which is
current production.
the parts will set you back close to $100. If that is a problem just buy a
new 7539 from Amazon for $317!!

It took some head scratching as the instructions with the speed control were
pretty vague. Just a drawing of the control with the wires sticking out,
connected to what ever componant in the router. I got it right the first try
which I figure was good as my bet is you will let the smoke out if done
wrong!

The 7538/7539 is a honking router! I can not imagine what you would use it
for hand held, let alone on high speed! I got it just for my router table to
swing big bits. I used a 3-1/2" raised panel bit with it a while back. Low
speed, and hang on! You need to take muliple passes because you will not be
able to hold the work, the router will rip it right out of your hands unless
you are carefull!
Greg