Sant'Agata

Default Hot Surface Ignitor Control Module testing

Gas valve will not open; HSI glows okay.
So far, I have sent 24 v. to the gas valve solenoid to be certain it
works. That leaves the control module which I tested as follows:
Removed it fron the unit, connected a test lamp to the two "valve"
terminals, and energized the 24 v. terminals. The controller cycled
through its series of timed clicks but the light never came on.
Is this enough to prove the control module is bad? Or do I need to have
the 120 v. and HSI connected to get a fair evaluation? I sure don't want
to spend a hundred plus on a new control module if there is any
possibility I have not tested it correctly. Any one know something I have
not thought of?
TIA, Frank

Valve Honeywell
Control Honeywell
Furnace Ruud cross flow

--
"Let peace be your goal, love be your mentor, and joy be your guide" (Sant'Agata)
TimelessMiracles.com
Speedy Jim

Sant'Agata wrote:

[...]

You can download more info he
http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/

Jim
CBhvac

"Sant'Agata" wrote in message
Gas valve will not open; HSI glows okay.
So far, I have sent 24 v. to the gas valve solenoid to be certain it
works. That leaves the control module which I tested as follows:
Removed it fron the unit, connected a test lamp to the two "valve"
terminals, and energized the 24 v. terminals. The controller cycled
through its series of timed clicks but the light never came on.
Is this enough to prove the control module is bad? Or do I need to have
the 120 v. and HSI connected to get a fair evaluation? I sure don't want
to spend a hundred plus on a new control module if there is any
possibility I have not tested it correctly. Any one know something I have
not thought of?
TIA, Frank

Valve Honeywell
Control Honeywell
Furnace Ruud cross flow

Not enough information...

Is it a SmartValve? If so, What model, as some, and thats SOME, send signal
BACK to the board to tell the board to light the HSI.
We need model numbers of the board, valve, and furnace to tell you.
And some Smart Valves....gonna run more than a $100 if they are bad.

--
"Let peace be your goal, love be your mentor, and joy be your guide"

(Sant'Agata)
TimelessMiracles.com
Remove the b from my address to send mail:

Sant'Agata

MORE INFO to go with the problem below. Thanks, Frank

The valve is a Honeywell VR8205A 2008. It has two terminals on the plastic
portion that are used to open the solenoid. There are two other terminals
on the die cast housing that are not used.

The controller is a Honeywell S89J and has connections to 120 v., 24 v.,
HSI, Valve, and Ground. I think the HSI igniter also acts as a flame
sensor on this type.

The unit is a RUUD horizontal model RGUH-??? There are about a dozen
different numbers folowing the RGUH on the list, but I do not know which
one this is. It is a very simple cross flow furnace--nothing unusual.
(Just wish it had a standing pilot instead!)

I can get a Honeywell universal control module to replace it for $115 plus
shipping from Grainger. Just want to be certain it is in need of
replacement first (see below)

In article , "CBhvac"
stephenaddressscfrewedonpurpose@carolinabreezehva c.com wrote:

"Sant'Agata" wrote in message
[...]

CBhvac

"Sant'Agata" wrote in message
MORE INFO to go with the problem below. Thanks, Frank

The valve is a Honeywell VR8205A 2008. It has two terminals on the plastic
portion that are used to open the solenoid. There are two other terminals
on the die cast housing that are not used.

Odd..thats listed as a standing pilot model....or the Honeywell books
wrong..

The controller is a Honeywell S89J and has connections to 120 v., 24 v.,
HSI, Valve, and Ground. I think the HSI igniter also acts as a flame
sensor on this type.

Ok....HSI glows, but no flame....no gas valve open...

this ones simple

1- Check for 24VAC across valve terminals during trial for ignition. No
voltage, replace module.
2- Check ignitor position, and move and adjust if needed...but thats if the
valves opening...of course.
3- Check electrical connections between S89 and gas control. IF ok, replace
gas control.

Thats it...simple.

The unit is a RUUD horizontal model RGUH-??? There are about a dozen
different numbers folowing the RGUH on the list, but I do not know which
one this is. It is a very simple cross flow furnace--nothing unusual.
(Just wish it had a standing pilot instead!)

Those numbers can mean a world of difference. If you dont have them, get
them and make sure they are correct. You wont be able to get correct
information without them

I can get a Honeywell universal control module to replace it for $115 plus
shipping from Grainger. Just want to be certain it is in need of
replacement first (see below)

I dont like the universals, and they only cost about $85. Another reason I
do not do business with Grainger.