Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default What are some fundamental ways for a buyer to avoid get "ripped off" at closing?

I've never bought a house, but I probably will within the next two
years or so. By ripped off I actually just mean paying more than I
could have had I been more "vigilent." Obviously, if a buyer is not a
good shopper in general or doesn't care, then he or she will probably
pay more in closing than someone who shops around for better estimates.
But, the further things go along, the more power the bank,et al, has
over you to "up their estimates" I guess. So what in general should
buyers do?

Banty

In article , Speedy Jim says...

wrote:
I've never bought a house, but I probably will within the next two
years or so. By ripped off I actually just mean paying more than I
could have had I been more "vigilent." Obviously, if a buyer is not a
good shopper in general or doesn't care, then he or she will probably
pay more in closing than someone who shops around for better estimates.
But, the further things go along, the more power the bank,et al, has
over you to "up their estimates" I guess. So what in general should
buyers do?

Library/book store.

There are literally dozens of good books on
"How to Buy a House".

If you don't like paper, GOOGLE the same.

Right - everyone can go to libraries and Google. So let's just close up shop on
USENET now and tell all those awful people who actually ask questions to go
away.

:-\

Banty

Kendall P. Bullen

In article . com,
wrote:

But, the further things go along, the more power the bank,et al, has
over you to "up their estimates" I guess.

True. You start passing various points of no return, or perhaps I
should say points of 'difficult to return' along the way.

So what in general should buyers do?

You need to do your research. When buying our first house, our credit
union had fewer frivolous rip-off charges on the closing estimate, and a
good rate with no points, so we chose them. It's good to check out a
variety of lenders, but keep in mind two things:

1. estimates are a crock sometimes

2. everything on a closing statement is negotiable

So, be a tough negotiator. HUD has a document that lenders are required
to give you, that explain the various charges on the HUD-1...however,
lenders keep getting creative with where they tack on fluff and how they
call it. Even normal things may vary from lender to lender. Some
numbers, like taxes, you can check yourself to make sure they're not
putting on bogus numbers to make the total look nice and make you
overlook the b.s. fees. For insurance, you pick the company/rate. It
may be helpful, in fact, to ignore the #s they *can't* mess with so you
focus more on the ones they *can* -- i.e. ignore taxes (the lines for
tax money go directly to the state/county/jurisdiction) and insurance
(again, you pick your insurer), and look at the other stuff.

Sorry to ramble....

Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen
http://www.his.com/~kendall/

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!

Square ways vs. Dovetailed ways? DeepDiver Metalworking 2 April 5th 05 12:16 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Lathe Ways Mark Forkheim Metalworking 7 August 6th 04 05:57 AM
ways of Gingery metal lathe Allan Adler Metalworking 15 December 8th 03 12:55 PM
finding buyer's agent after first look at a house Dan Home Ownership 21 August 23rd 03 02:59 PM