Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default How do I hook up a 3 phase generator to run my house

I have a three phase genset, lister sr3 engine and three phase 15kw
generator. only two of the three coils are hooked up inside the
generator, the third is wired to the transfer block, but not hooked to
the output anywhere. I hooked the two power wires to my house and have
had no problems. I was just told a few days ago that running a single
phase 220 well pump on what I have will fry the motor. Do I have
anything to worry about? Should I hook up three phase breaker box? Any
recommendations?
Thanks.
William Attwood

Posted to alt.electronics

On Nov 22, 2:19 pm, PeterD wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:58:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I have a three phase genset, lister sr3 engine and three phase 15kw
generator. only two of the three coils are hooked up inside the
generator, the third is wired to the transfer block, but not hooked to
the output anywhere. I hooked the two power wires to my house and have
had no problems. I was just told a few days ago that running a single
phase 220 well pump on what I have will fry the motor. Do I have
anything to worry about? Should I hook up three phase breaker box? Any
recommendations?
Thanks.
William Attwood

how many volts is the generator putting out?

120 volts on each leg to common, 240 leg to leg, which has me
wondering,, shouldn't it be 208?
Posted to alt.electronics

wrote in message
On Nov 22, 2:19 pm, PeterD wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:58:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I have a three phase genset, lister sr3 engine and three phase 15kw
generator. only two of the three coils are hooked up inside the
generator, the third is wired to the transfer block, but not hooked to
the output anywhere. I hooked the two power wires to my house and have
had no problems. I was just told a few days ago that running a single
phase 220 well pump on what I have will fry the motor. Do I have
anything to worry about? Should I hook up three phase breaker box? Any
recommendations?
Thanks.
William Attwood

how many volts is the generator putting out?

120 volts on each leg to common, 240 leg to leg, which has me
wondering,, shouldn't it be 208?

It should be 208 if 120 line to neutral as you indicate. Are you sure that
this is not a 240V delta with one side center tapped for 120/240V. If so you
have effectively a 5KW generator. Can you give more information regarding
the actual connections?
As for your single phase pump motor- there should be no problems.

--

Don Kelly
remove the X to answer

Posted to alt.electronics

On Nov 22, 6:21 pm, "Don Kelly" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 22, 2:19 pm, PeterD wrote:
[...]

On the tag:
Fidelity Synchro Generator
15KW,
18/75 KVA
Phase 3
Amp 52
Continuous Duty.

Model H53-16-1381

Posted to alt.electronics

wrote in message

On Nov 22, 2:19 pm, PeterD wrote:
[...]

Model number is actually H53-46-1381
Posted to alt.electronics

wrote in message

On Nov 22, 2:19 pm, PeterD wrote:
[...]

Inside the rear of the generator where the field coil wires are on the
left side of the box is a terminal plate where there are electronic
components and three terminals to hook the feed wire to the breaker
box mounted on the generator frame, only two of the terminals have
wire hooked to them to the breaker, the third is just a stud with two
nuts on it,, ready for a wire connection but never connected. The
couls at 12 and 8 o-clock are connected, the connection at 4 o-clock
is not. I have not tested the power output on the one that is not
connected. There is an aftermarket solid state voltage regulator
hooked up, could that have anything to do with getting 240 out of it
instead of 208? Oh, This generator was made in the sixties or
seventies, if that makes any difference.
Posted to alt.electronics

----------------------------
wrote in message

On Nov 22, 2:19 pm, PeterD wrote:
[...]

The specs are somewhat confusing:
No voltage or frequency is listed
However the 18KVA and 52A implies a design voltage of 115V line to neutral
( Y connection 200V line to line) and the aftermarket regulator could boost
this to 120/208V-not 120/240V .
The 120/240V implies a delta connection (original rating 100/200) with one
leg center-tapped.
In either case a 3rd wire is needed for dual voltage -probably the tap or
neutral is tied to the chassis or ground.
If 200V delta then the voltage to center tap could be 100V or 120/240 with
the regulator.

The 18/75 KVA may be 18/7.5KVA for 3 phase/single phase operation (at the
original voltage allowing for derating as a single phase machine, although I
would expect 10KVA as the derated value.

Note a voltage rating of 115/230 was the nominal rating in the 60's -this
has crept up to 120/240V.
Also I am not sure that 120/208 was typical in the US- particularly back
then- I am sure that someone can educate me regarding this.
--

Don Kelly
remove the X to answer

Posted to alt.electronics

wrote in message

On Nov 22, 2:19 pm, PeterD wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I missed part of the tag,, it says V 208/120 above the 18/75,
so I guess it would be 7.5, but there isn't a . on the tag. Typo
maybe. So the 240 isn't unusual? and my well pump won't be damaged by
having the power slightly out of phase? Would it be a good idea to get
another breaker box and hook up some of the load to the third leg?
Spread the load? Or do I not need to worry?

Posted to alt.electronics

On Nov 24, 4:56 am, PeterD wrote:
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:59:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Sorry, I missed part of the tag,, it says V 208/120 above the 18/75,
so I guess it would be 7.5, but there isn't a . on the tag. Typo
maybe. So the 240 isn't unusual? and my well pump won't be damaged by
having the power slightly out of phase? Would it be a good idea to get
another breaker box and hook up some of the load to the third leg?
Spread the load? Or do I not need to worry?

"slightly out of phase" ? g

This could get confusing, as at least from my point of view, I can't
tell if it is out of phase or not. Depends (like the previous posts
say) whether it is wired delta or wye. If delta and that is tapped
then it is not out of phase. If wye, and you are using two of the
phases, then things could get bad. Depends on the pump.

Were this me, I'd perhaps put a scope on the outputs and view the
phase angles that way (there may be better ways, but that's what would
be easy for me to do). If they are truely out of phase, I'd check with
the maker of the pump motor to see what they recommend.

(The 120/240 implies that they are in phase to me...)

I think you are correct. I don't have a scope, but will just keep
going like I am and if I have problems, will replace the motor. The
fact that it is 240 and not 208 is what threw me for a loop...this is
the way it was from the factory, so What I probably have is a
generator that if hooked up completely would be 22.5 kw three phase
but they hooked it up delta and only used two of the three so made a
workable ,, well, would I call it a two phase? Or single phase? I
don't know. Just know it is working great and so I won't mess with it
much.
Posted to alt.electronics

If 208/120 it would be Y -now it could be boosted to 240/138 Y which would
be unusual.
Do you have 120/240V for sure? If so that implies a change in connection.
Without knowing just how the coils are connected it is a puzzle. As far as
what the generator can put out- if it is using two legs of a 120V/208 52A Y
machine then the windings can handle 52A and the capability ias about 10KVA
for single phase use. If it is delta 240 52A then in single phase use the
windings can handle 30A so the capability is 7.2KVA single phase 120/240v As
you don't know stick with the lower limit.
In any case, 208-240 connection is fine for nominal 220 single phase.
Coming off two of the phases is NOT a problem for the pump as it sees only a
single phase applied voltage and doesn't care about the phases of the
individual voltages that may have been added to get this voltage. If it
works and you are happy- don't bother with changes such as connecting the
third terminal to a dummy load.
--

Don Kelly
remove the X to answer