Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Crystal vs. TTL Clock ? What's the difference?

Hi,

What's the difference between a TTL Clock and a crystal?

I'm curious to know if I can substitute a TTL clock (1 MHz specifically) for
a crystal.
Thanks for any info.

Farce

Posted to alt.electronics

What's the difference between a TTL Clock and a crystal?

I'm curious to know if I can substitute a TTL clock (1 MHz specifically)

for
a crystal.
Thanks for any info.

It's been a while since I had a course on this but I think crystals are more
accurate.

Posted to alt.electronics

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 08:59:30 GMT, "Farce Milverk"
wrote:

Hi,

What's the difference between a TTL Clock and a crystal?

I'm curious to know if I can substitute a TTL clock (1 MHz specifically) for
a crystal.
Thanks for any info.

---
A crystal is a slab of quartz which, by virtue of its piezoelectric
nature, can be used to construct an oscillator.

A TTL clock is just a device which can supply a clock signal at TTL
voltage levels.

You may be able to substitute a TTL clock for a crystal if the
circuit driving the crystal is designed to allow it. Many circuits
are.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-07-23, Farce Milverk wrote:
Hi,

What's the difference between a TTL Clock and a crystal?

TTL clock runs all by itself, a crystal needs to be part of an oscilator,

I'm curious to know if I can substitute a TTL clock (1 MHz specifically) for
a crystal.

Most probably (if the device attached to the crystal is compatble with TTL
signals). the documentation for the device which the crystal is attached to
will say which crystal pin is the input. connect that to the clock's output.

Bye.
Jasen