Default making a wood clock that looks like a football helmet

I have a great idea of making a clock for our football coach that looks
like our football helmet. I have never made a clock. I so far have
determined that I want the clock to be at least 36" in diameter. The
shape of the helmet would be cut from a cabinet grade 3/4" plywood.
From this point on I am lost! I have gone to Michael's Arts and Crafts

and looked at the clock parts that they have. I do not know what size
of mechanism that I need, what size number, or hands! Is there a rule
to follow? The biggest numbers I saw at Michael's were 13/16", they
seemed like they would be too small. Can anyone offer any suggestions
or help. Thanks

Thanks for all the advise, it has really helped.