DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   making a wood clock that looks like a football helmet (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/84365-making-wood-clock-looks-like-football-helmet.html)

[email protected] January 5th 05 01:20 AM

making a wood clock that looks like a football helmet

I have a great idea of making a clock for our football coach that looks
like our football helmet. I have never made a clock. I so far have
determined that I want the clock to be at least 36" in diameter. The
shape of the helmet would be cut from a cabinet grade 3/4" plywood.
From this point on I am lost! I have gone to Michael's Arts and Crafts

and looked at the clock parts that they have. I do not know what size
of mechanism that I need, what size number, or hands! Is there a rule
to follow? The biggest numbers I saw at Michael's were 13/16", they
seemed like they would be too small. Can anyone offer any suggestions
or help. Thanks

J T January 5th 05 03:01 AM

Tue, Jan 4, 2005, 5:20pm (EST-3) claims:
snip The biggest numbers I saw at Michael's were 13/16", they seemed
like they would be too small. Can anyone offer any suggestions or help.
Thanks

Make your own.

JOAT
EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.
- Death

Nova January 5th 05 03:47 AM

wrote:

I have a great idea of making a clock for our football coach that looks
like our football helmet. I have never made a clock. I so far have
determined that I want the clock to be at least 36" in diameter. The
shape of the helmet would be cut from a cabinet grade 3/4" plywood.
From this point on I am lost! I have gone to Michael's Arts and Crafts

and looked at the clock parts that they have. I do not know what size
of mechanism that I need, what size number, or hands! Is there a rule
to follow? The biggest numbers I saw at Michael's were 13/16", they
seemed like they would be too small. Can anyone offer any suggestions
or help. Thanks

For a clock that large I suggest a high torque movement and balanced hands.
I doubt if you'll find anything like that at Michael's.

Take a look at Klockit's web site:
http://www.klockit.com/

In particular see an example of the balanced hands at:
http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-5__sku-66764.html

and the high torque movement at:
http://www.klockit.com/products/sku-AAAAG.html

You should be able to find other on-line vendors of "clock making supplies"
by doing a Google search.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Charles Krug January 5th 05 04:34 PM

On 4 Jan 2005 17:20:46 -0800,
wrote:
I have a great idea of making a clock for our football coach that looks
like our football helmet. I have never made a clock. I so far have
determined that I want the clock to be at least 36" in diameter. The
shape of the helmet would be cut from a cabinet grade 3/4" plywood.
From this point on I am lost! I have gone to Michael's Arts and Crafts

and looked at the clock parts that they have. I do not know what size
of mechanism that I need, what size number, or hands! Is there a rule
to follow? The biggest numbers I saw at Michael's were 13/16", they
seemed like they would be too small. Can anyone offer any suggestions
or help. Thanks

I'm thinking I'd use a real helmet for this.

[email protected] January 9th 05 02:26 PM

Thanks for all the advise, it has really helped.