Travis Jordan

Jamie wrote:
even though he is trying to make out like nothing was
done wrong, i think i have some money coming my way.

Make it easy on everybody - pack up the radio and send it to Yaseu for
repair. That way there won't be any argument about overcharging, etc,
and you'll know it was fixed right.

This is a lovely trade to be in isn't it?

If you go out of your way to be nice to people including lending out
your own gear - you will only get crapped on from a great height.

If you dont do it then you're labeled an arsehole who doesn't care for
the customer and only concerned about taking their money or ripping
them off.

Goodluck - sounds like a sticky spot to be in.

Cheers,
Sam T

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:56:05 -0800, Jamie
wrote:

to be a nice guy, this morning i loan out a
FT-757GX radio while i repair this persons
older 520 rig.
we did the usually ham radio get to gether
on saturday mornings, i plugged in my truck
(since i had already a lighter plug on it) to
show this person how to use it.
aprox 4 hours later, i get an e-mail telling
me that his friend and him just got around to
hooking it up on a 30 amp+ supply in the house which
he had to remove the lighter plug to do so which i
knew about that and oked. he claims that every thing was
connected properly and checked before hitting the power
switch. results, "Snap"+"Smoke"
you tell me!
even though he is trying to make out like nothing was
done wrong, i think i have some money coming my way.
i am willing to bet that they separated the fuse sockets to
make it easy to connect to the supply getting the polarity
wrong or, the supply they are using has a voltage regulator
problem.
either way, i think i have smoke rig. i know the rig well
and i can now picture the Audio amp ic and maybe the Finals out in
left field. and maybe even some filter caps along with what ever
else that didn't hold up.

Terry

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Jamie wrote:

Make it easy on everybody - pack up the radio and send it to Yaseu for
repair. That way there won't be any argument about overcharging, etc,
and you'll know it was fixed right.

That sounds like an excellent suggestion.
And in the meantime you are holding the 520!
Maybe it suffered a similar fate at the hands of the owner?

Mine: The other day my very good neighbour, but he of little electrical
comprehension, brought over their 14 inch Sharp TV (I'm still trying to find
a circuit for a Sharp 14F24C BTW). Cheap; this is a 1981 set!
The AC 4 amp fuse was blown and indication is that something had also gone
open, probably in the power supply section immediately following the fuse.
Advised neighbour that there was/is a problem and "That's why the fuse
blew". That's what fuses are for!
Also rejected his suggestion that we wrap Al foil around the blown fuse!
Advised him I'd try to get a circuit diagram in order to trouble shoot it!
Today told me he drove all the way into the city and bought some fuses; but
guess what?
That didn't fix it!
He also says that when I tested it previously I had said 'It has a bad
cord'. What I had actually told him was that there was 'No circuit looking
into the set through the AC plug and cord'. Which of course was confirmed by
the blown fuses. But could have been the on/off switch, the cord itself or
as it turns out circuit problem! printed circuit board, 'Ugh'!

Kim Sleep

Actually, the stupid part of the story is the fact that you actually allowed
him to do the installation himself, or allowing him to remove the power jack
himself. The SMART thing to do (other than not loan out expensive items), is
to supervise installation yourself, especially when it involves any sort of
modification.

--
Kim..."A Man Of True Frankenstinean Proportions"
"Jamie" wrote in message
[...]

Terry wrote:
(snip) Mine: The other day my very good neighbour, but he of little

[...]

Based on this sort of story, and what I see most days dealing with
consumer electronics, and the stuff people bring to me to look at, this
kind of sums it all up:

"Scientists claim that Hydrogen, as the most plentiful element, is the
basic building block of the universe. I say that there is more
stupidity than hydrogen, and *that* is the basic building block of the
universe. "
--Frank Zappa

Jamie

Kim Sleep wrote:

Actually, the stupid part of the story is the fact that you actually allowed
him to do the installation himself, or allowing him to remove the power jack
himself. The SMART thing to do (other than not loan out expensive items), is
to supervise installation yourself, especially when it involves any sort of
modification.

well, i have looked at the radio.
apparently the installation was correct how ever,
the wiring in his home is incorrect and thus when the
antenna was connected which is part of his outdoor ground
there was a nice current surge through the neutual from the
power supply.
why his power supply is not isolated from the neutual is
belong me .
but in any case, the radio does not have a fuse on the
- side of the connection, only on the + side.
he is correcting the house wiring today and is willing to
pay for the damage and my time.

P.S.
i try not to loan out expensive equipment to strangers.