Terry wrote:
(snip) Mine: The other day my very good neighbour, but he of little

electrical
comprehension, brought over their 14 inch Sharp TV (I'm still trying

to find
a circuit for a Sharp 14F24C BTW). Cheap; this is a 1981 set!
The AC 4 amp fuse was blown and indication is that something had also

gone
open, probably in the power supply section immediately following the

fuse.
Advised neighbour that there was/is a problem and "That's why the

fuse
blew". That's what fuses are for!
Also rejected his suggestion that we wrap Al foil around the blown

fuse!
Advised him I'd try to get a circuit diagram in order to trouble

shoot it!
Today told me he drove all the way into the city and bought some

fuses; but
guess what?
That didn't fix it!
He also says that when I tested it previously I had said 'It has a

bad
cord'. What I had actually told him was that there was 'No circuit

looking
into the set through the AC plug and cord'. Which of course was

confirmed by
the blown fuses. But could have been the on/off switch, the cord

itself or
as it turns out circuit problem! printed circuit board, 'Ugh'!

Based on this sort of story, and what I see most days dealing with
consumer electronics, and the stuff people bring to me to look at, this
kind of sums it all up:

"Scientists claim that Hydrogen, as the most plentiful element, is the
basic building block of the universe. I say that there is more
stupidity than hydrogen, and *that* is the basic building block of the
universe. "
--Frank Zappa