chaseme5

Default Mitsubishi VS-50703 repair qoute $900.00

I called a shop today and they qouted me $800.00 to $ 900.00 TO FIX a
Mitsubishi VS-50703 that has a leaky projection tube which has leaked onto
and shorted the main board! They said 3 days of work, $800 is just for
labor. Is this legit?

How can they give you any kind of accurate estimate over the phone.
Did you move a phone camera around inside the set so they could see it
and do the troubleshooting measurements for them while on the phone?

You need to PAY to have a Mitsubishi authorized servicer come out and
diagnose the set and give an accurate detailed parts and labor repair
estimate. Then call Mitsubishi to complain and ask them to help. Mitz
knows of the leaking tube issue, if the board needs replaced, they are
most often replacing the entire set at a major trade in discount for
the customer that is way less than the repair would cost. Having ALL
purchase receipts in hand with serial number and a detailed copy of the
repair estimate from an Authorized Mitz servicer will go a long way.

Barring that, you will probably win in small claims court against them
due to the manufacturing defect that occured after the warranty.

chaseme5

This company repaired my tv last year and I did send them pictures via
email.

Jeff Rigby

"chaseme5" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
I called a shop today and they qouted me $800.00 to $ 900.00 TO FIX a
Mitsubishi VS-50703 that has a leaky projection tube which has leaked onto
and shorted the main board! They said 3 days of work, $800 is just for
labor. Is this legit?

Which board main or signal board?? Main is the power supply sweep board and
that's easy to repair, not as many traces. Signal board is harder as there
are more traces and feed thru's on that board. Typically there are three
problems with about 3 hours to repair them and then install a drip shield.

1) clean with alcohol and blow dry with hair dryer.
2) Spray with clear laquor (Krylon)
3) plug in and trace problems to OPENED traces or feed thru's. Repair reseal
again
4) install drip shield and hold TV for at least 48 hours of testing.

In shop repair $300

JURB6006

In my area this would be considered high, but rates do vary geographically.
Hovever if they intend to reseal all three tubes it's not bad.

Do they intend to reseal the tubes or install a gutter ? Resealing the tubes
entails about as much labor as replacing them. What's more is replacing them is
no good anyway because the new ones can leak just as easily. Seen one go within
a month.

If you want to send me the chassis I can do it for about $350-400, but then you
have to deal with the gutter. Also if there are any touch up adjustments needed
they won't be done. There's alot of them you can't do without the native tubes
and cabinet.

Actually I get these done in less than a day, but then I'll have to take it to
work and make sure it works. There are likely to be other issues and the only
way to tell is to hook it up. Then when I find out what else I gotta do then I
do it. Unfortunately this cuts into my work time. I'll have to give the boss a
little bribe as well.

JURB

Ken G.

Get another quote .. 900$ is a ripoff

Leonard Caillouet

Not necessarily. The shop may be an ASC for Mits and knows that Mitsubishis
recommended procedure on these is to replace the CRT and the board. Since
both are NLA, Mitsubishi has been offering pretty good compensation to
customers, as someone else pointed out. The shop gave him an estimate
without seeing the set, remember. If someone called me and wanted some
numbers I would probably tell them this as well, but qualify the estimate
with the statement that we can't know the extent of the damage without
examining it and testing. It could easily have coolant on the signal board
that the owner did not identify. It could also be a much easier repair for
$300, but why would you lead the customer to think that without checking the
set?

Leonard

"Ken G." wrote in message
Get another quote .. 900$ is a ripoff

chaseme5

Thanks for your input lenard. I tried to repair the tv myself and
apparently it's been long and tedious but the tv is working perfectly Now.
I couldn't of repaired it with out all the help from the talk about
network!
You guys wrere right, the initial problem was a coolant leak from the red
projector lamp. The proceedure for repair. I ordered a service manual from
www.servicemanuals.net. Then I rmoved the main board from the VS-50703. I
used a VDM to trace the board. Found that several components were setting
in fluid. That whole section of the board confirmed to be a short. I
removed a large heatsink and 12 or so components. I cleaned the board with
lectra clean. You can buy this at home depot, comes in a spray can. After
I cleaned the board I measured the board for any electrical contact where
the fluid was. Made sure there was none! I then installed the parts back
on the board. I replaced any part that was corroded or damaged with new
parts. Then I made a tray that would collect any fluid that drips from the
projector lamps in the future. Total cost of materials about $70.00.
Mitsubishi charged me $31.00 for 2 coils however I requested 2nd day
shipping. The 2 coils were $16.34 from mit.

Jeff Rigby

"chaseme5" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
I called a shop today and they qouted me $800.00 to $ 900.00 TO FIX a
Mitsubishi VS-50703 that has a leaky projection tube which has leaked onto
and shorted the main board! They said 3 days of work, $800 is just for
labor. Is this legit?

Just serviced one. IF the main board is totaled it's $250 for a new board
and then labor. IF repairable, most of the time it is, labor to repair can
be expensive as you have to find the traces that have been opened by
electrolysis. But it should be less than a new board.

Max for your repair here would be $470.00. The last one I repaired was $220
and I fixed two open traces cleaned and sealed the board as well as
installed a drip shield.

What is the symptom(s)?