E P

Default Video output transistors for Sylvania Superset

Hello all,

I've got this 20 year old Sylvania Superset TV (model # RNE980) and
I'm trying to track down some replacement video output transistors for
it.

They are in a TO-202 package, made by Motorola, and have the following
markings:

513
250-3

Anybody know anything about these? Barring any suggestions, I'm
probably going to try either NTE228A or NTE171, since they're the only
video output transistors with the same pin configuration that I've
found. But I hate to stick random parts in to the TV.

Thanks
--
Elliott
Bill Renfro

The outputs are 250-3. The NTE equivlent is NTE171.
What is the problem with the set. Voltages on the outputs are about
100volts at the collector, 4.0volts on the base, and 3.5volts on the
emitter. Check the dc voltages first then you can scope the base to see if
the correct video waveform is present. If you are missing a color, check
the outputs from the color decoder ic (ic50). Be sure to check the CRT for
shorts as well. Also check for bad solder joints.
Good luck,
Bill
Christian Technology

"E P" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

I've got this 20 year old Sylvania Superset TV (model # RNE980) and
I'm trying to track down some replacement video output transistors for
it.

They are in a TO-202 package, made by Motorola, and have the following
markings:

513
250-3

Anybody know anything about these? Barring any suggestions, I'm
probably going to try either NTE228A or NTE171, since they're the only
video output transistors with the same pin configuration that I've
found. But I hate to stick random parts in to the TV.

Thanks
--
Elliott

James Sweet

"E P" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

I've got this 20 year old Sylvania Superset TV (model # RNE980) and
I'm trying to track down some replacement video output transistors for
it.

They are in a TO-202 package, made by Motorola, and have the following
markings:

513
250-3

Transistors are pretty easy to sub, I'd just find some from a scrap TV or
monitor and try them, if the pinout is different just twist the leads around
to make it fit.

E P

For a while there were big red shadows appearing on the right side of
objects on the screen; they were intermittent at first but now they
seem to always be there, and they're growing. I don't have the proper
tools to diagnose the TV, but I figure I can't do any worse than the
TV repair place I took it to did (they charged a big pile of money and
didn't actually do anything). There's another (presumably unrelated)
problem: when I turn on the TV, it's very fuzzy for about 30 seconds.
I figured I'd start with the color thing, and then tackle the focus
thing with a can of air and see if anything reacts badly to cold.
Then the third thing that bugs me is that the screen overscans about 1
inch too far all the way around. But one thing at a time...

While cleaning dust and grime off of stuff, I've noticed two bad
solder joints on the main chassis board, both on what appear to be
power resistors (R400 and R401). I'd replace them both if I knew for
sure what they are because R400 has a big crack along one of the flat
sides, and R401 has weird bubbles all over it. But they're both
connected to what appears to be high voltage, and I don't want to put
the wrong thing in there (maybe they're bleedoff resistors?).

Anyway, I'm looking at the output transistor for two reasons: first,
the two 12k resistors that are connected to the collector of what
appears to be red's output transistor (Q11) are both severely cooked;
second, if I unplug J18, the screen has this sort of red/brown color
(I assume it should be dark if there's no input signal).

My plan at this point is to replace all three output transistors, and
for good measure I'm thinking I'll also replace the resistors that are
directly in the signal path (for each color, that appears to be four
12k resistors, a 330ohm, a 3.3kohm, a 390ohm, a 150ohm, and a 1.5kohm;
I'm debating the pair of potentiometers).

Am I going about it right? I feel like I should do the same thing to
all three channels; even if balance isn't an issue, if one is dead
then maybe the others are on their way out. And although I'm sure
that most of the resistors aren't bad, resistors are cheap so I don't
see any problem with putting new ones in.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
--
Elliott

"E P" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

I've got this 20 year old Sylvania Superset TV (model # RNE980) and
I'm trying to track down some replacement video output transistors for
it.

They are in a TO-202 package, made by Motorola, and have the following
markings:

513
250-3

Anybody know anything about these? Barring any suggestions, I'm
probably going to try either NTE228A or NTE171, since they're the only
video output transistors with the same pin configuration that I've
found. But I hate to stick random parts in to the TV.

Thanks
--
Elliott

Bill Renfro

Hi Elliott

What did the repair shop tell you?
What you are describing sounds like the CRT is dying. The red gun has low
emission. That will cause the red bleed on the right side of objects. A
weak CRT will also cause the focus problem. Focus gets better after the CRT
warms up. When the set is on and warmed up, if you turn the brightness down
the red trails should go away, or be noticably reduced. The picture will be
dim, but will likely be sharp, and the color will be ok. When you turn the
brightness up the red trails will reappear.
The 12K resistors on Q11 collector connect to the 193volt source and are
likely overheating because of the low red gun emission of the CRT. The
other resistors are probably ok. If the picture colors are ok except for
the red trail the transistor is probably ok.
The only resistors in the signal path are the 330 and the 1.5K. The red
drive pot is also in the signal path, but these are likely ok.
The overscan could be slight blooming because of load on the high voltage
supply.
R400 and R401 are thermistors in the power supply. If the set is working
they are ok.
Remember the set is quite old, and CRTs don't last forever. I think you
may only be seeing the symptoms of the real problem.
To repair the set you would have to replace the CRT, and the 12K resistors
that were overheating.
Of course I haven't seen the set and neither of us has done any voltage
checks or looked at any waveforms or checked the CRT, so I may be totally
wrong. Just my thoughts based on your observations. That's why I wondered
what the repair man told you.
Good luck,
Bill
Christian Technology

om...

"E P" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

I've got this 20 year old Sylvania Superset TV (model # RNE980) and
I'm trying to track down some replacement video output transistors for
it.

They are in a TO-202 package, made by Motorola, and have the following
markings:

513
250-3

Anybody know anything about these? Barring any suggestions, I'm
probably going to try either NTE228A or NTE171, since they're the only
video output transistors with the same pin configuration that I've
found. But I hate to stick random parts in to the TV.

Thanks
--
Elliott

Asimov

"E P" bravely wrote to "All" (12 Nov 04 12:55:17)
--- on the heady topic of " Video output transistors for Sylvania Superset"

EP From: (E P)

EP For a while there were big red shadows appearing on the right side of
EP objects on the screen; they were intermittent at first but now they
EP seem to always be there, and they're growing. I don't have the proper
EP tools to diagnose the TV, but I figure I can't do any worse than the
EP TV repair place I took it to did (they charged a big pile of money and
EP didn't actually do anything). There's another (presumably unrelated)
EP problem: when I turn on the TV, it's very fuzzy for about 30 seconds.
EP I figured I'd start with the color thing, and then tackle the focus
EP thing with a can of air and see if anything reacts badly to cold.
EP Then the third thing that bugs me is that the screen overscans about 1
EP inch too far all the way around. But one thing at a time...

Any change in horizontal scan width sometimes indicates a problem with
the high voltage. If the high voltage is too high the beam gets very
stiff and the set underscans. If the HV is too low then the beam gets
soft and overscans a lot.

The CRT either has a biasing problem or it has reached the end of its
life. The very fuzzy CRT at startup sort of confirms the latter. The
reason is that most modern CRTs use a dynamic convergence system which
depends on the proper beam biasing. The convergence and focus gets
upset as the emission weakens. However it could be a G2 or Screen
problem as well, maybe a leaky bypass cap for example.

The red flames to the right of objects is caused by severe
overloading. Overloading may be a sign of insufficient cathode
emission. Try swapping another gun for the red. If the blooming
problem moves to the new colour then it is a biasing or video problem
but if it remains red then the crt is likely a gonner. You would have
to test the CRT emission to be sure and maybe even measure the HV with
a proper HV probe.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... High voltage can give a dangerously uncomfortable discharge.

Elliott Potter

The repair shop told me they were replacing the safety cap, which they
didn't do (it took them three weeks to not do it). Oddly enough, the
safety cap is the only thing that's ever gone wrong with the TV until
now; it burned a 1/4" hole through the circuit board a few months after
we bought the TV. They didn't say that anything else was wrong, though
I wonder if they even turned it on.

The red trails behave exactly as you say when I turn down the
brightness, I guess that's a bad sign. It seems weird that low red
emission creates more red on the screen, but I don't pretend to
understand how the tube works.

I'll not worry about R400 and R401 except to fix the solder joints.

The set is in fact very old (I remember the phone conversation with the
TV repair people ... none of them had ever seen a TV in a wooden cabinet
before), but it's been rock solid until now so I hate to get rid of it,
especially because I wanted my next TV to hang on the wall, and I can't
afford that yet.

I'll fix the bad solder joints and replace those couple of resistors,
and see what happens. There is a small amount of documentation glued to
the inside of the set that has a bit of diagnostic information; I'll try
to read that a bit more closely and see what kind of voltages happen on
the CRT neck board. Replacing the tube seems a bit excessive given the
age of the set, so I guess I just nurse it along for a bit longer.

On a side note, I read on the Internet (so I know it's true?) that you
can do things like fiddle with the heater voltage to help the tube along
for a bit longer. Is this really safe? It doesn't strike me as a good
idea, but I like to explore all of the options (at least the good ones).

Thanks
--
Elliott

Bill Renfro wrote:
[...]

"E P" wrote in message
om...

[...]

[...]

Elliott Potter

Asimov wrote:
[...]

It's sounding more and more like the tube is going bad, I think. When
you say "swap another gun for the red" does that mean just swap the
signal wires coming in to the neck board? The only diagnosis I've done
so far has been to unplug all of them at once, and the screen had a
definite red tint to it, but I didn't try anything else after that.

I don't have any HV test equipment, and frankly that stuff scares me a
lot so I don't even want to mess with it ... if that's the problem, I'm
getting a new TV

At any rate, I'm in the process of putting stuff back together; when
that's done I'll flip the TV on and try some of the safer checks that
have been suggested.

Thanks
--
Elliott
Bill Renfro

The red trails behave exactly as you say when I turn down the
brightness, I guess that's a bad sign. It seems weird that low red
emission creates more red on the screen, but I don't pretend to
understand how the tube works.

To make it simple, it is not that there is more red. The problem is that
the red that is there can no longer be cut off or focused properly at normal
brightness levels..

I'll fix the bad solder joints and replace those couple of resistors,
and see what happens.

Replacing the resistors might help, but the new ones will likely overheat as
well. The 12K resistors are a series parallel circuit so you would need to
replace all 4 of them. Interesting the total of all 4 is only 12K. I
suppose it was cheaper to use 4 smaller resistors than one higher wattage
resistor. May have also been a heat concern.

There is a small amount of documentation glued to
the inside of the set that has a bit of diagnostic information; I'll try
to read that a bit more closely and see what kind of voltages happen on
the CRT neck board.

The neck board voltages run from under 5.0 volts to over 5 thousand volts.
The voltages on the collectors of the video output transistors are around
100volts. One side of those 12K resistors goes to the 193volt source. The
heavy (usually black or red) wire going to the board is focus voltage
between 5 and 6 thousand volts.

On a side note, I read on the Internet (so I know it's true?) that you
can do things like fiddle with the heater voltage to help the tube along
for a bit longer. Is this really safe? It doesn't strike me as a good
idea, but I like to explore all of the options (at least the good ones).

Yes you could raise the heater voltage and that might help for a while.
But, the heater voltage on your set comes from an internal winding on the
flyback transformer (high voltage). You would have to disconnect it and
replace it with the correct number of windings around the transformer core.
To many turns the voltage would be to high and tube would be instant toast.
I have seen tube brightners for this. They install between the flyback
winding and the tube heaters.
If you had one you could use a CRT rejuvinator on the tube. Neither
solution is going to provide long term reliability. Both could instantly
kill the tube and may require a grey scale setup (adjustment of all the
controls on the neck board and one on the main board) afterwards.

You might want to save your money and put it on a cheap 25" set to last
until you can get that flat screen high def LCD monitor for the wall.

Bill
Christian Technology

NSM

"Bill Renfro" wrote in message

| I have seen tube brightners for this. They install between the flyback
| winding and the tube heaters.

Or install a separate 60 Hz transformer with taps.

| If you had one you could use a CRT rejuvinator on the tube.

From $5 up on eBay, but you need to be able to judge how to configure it to
this tube.

NM

The red trails behave exactly as you say when I turn down the
brightness, I guess that's a bad sign. It seems weird that low red
emission creates more red on the screen, but I don't pretend to
understand how the tube works.

The output transistor for the red colour is driven into saturation
because of low feedback, thereby causing the bleeding effect. This
problem is most likely caused by a low +200V to the CRT board, or by a
weak CRT. Replacing the electrolytics on the +200V line is normally the
first thing to try, turning up the screen voltage (G2) is a good measure
if the CRT turns out to be a bit weak.

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
Ian Malcolm

Bill Renfro wrote:

[...]

Disconnect heater pins at tube. Connect a small bulb (VCR sensor lamp
works fine). Observe brightness. Now disconnect the mainboard end of
the feed from the LOPT (make sure its NOT the return which is often
grounded) thread it once through the core and reconnect it (extending it
if required). Observe the brightness, if its dimmer, remove the wire
and thread it the other way. Remove bulb and reconnect heater. Soak
test it and set up Screen and Focus. Perform grey scale adjustments if
not self adjusting. box it up and rReturn to customer with a 3 mopnth
money back warrenty and a warning to start saving up for a new TV.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.

video producer seeking home inspection company to produce how-to video David Welch Home Ownership 0 February 5th 04 11:03 PM
Composite video output to "AV in" input? CHale Electronics Repair 5 November 3rd 03 05:55 PM
HELP tuning video belmont5 UK diy 8 September 28th 03 06:56 PM
Sony camcorder problem CCD-TR5, no video output Dan Electronics Repair 5 September 24th 03 04:25 AM