CHale

Default Composite video output to "AV in" input?

Hello--I need to take an industrial (Dage/MTI) infrared camera
composite video output signal and get it to play properly on a little
Casio EV-570 LCD TV. The Casio machine has an "A/V in" 3.5 mm phono
type receptacle on it, but I have to say, I don't know exactly what
the heck this input is. I can say that things don't work by simply
connecting the camera composite video signal to this input. Can
anyone tell me just what the "A/V in" format is, and can you direct me
to some simple converter on the market? The Casio has an external
antenna input, too, so that might be workable, too. I know lasers,
but I confess I don't know this video signal stuff! Thanks--

Charley Hale
Coherent Technologies, Inc.
Louisville CO
work email
Jerry G.

If your camera has a compatible video output to the TV unit, you should be
able to order the adaptor from any Casio dealer who sells these sets. I
believe that Radio Shack can have the adaptor for you. If you are in the
US, the camera and TV should be the NTSC standard. For Europe, most places
are using the PAL standard.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"CHale" wrote in message
m...
Hello--I need to take an industrial (Dage/MTI) infrared camera
composite video output signal and get it to play properly on a little
Casio EV-570 LCD TV. The Casio machine has an "A/V in" 3.5 mm phono
type receptacle on it, but I have to say, I don't know exactly what
the heck this input is. I can say that things don't work by simply
connecting the camera composite video signal to this input. Can
anyone tell me just what the "A/V in" format is, and can you direct me
to some simple converter on the market? The Casio has an external
antenna input, too, so that might be workable, too. I know lasers,
but I confess I don't know this video signal stuff! Thanks--

Charley Hale
Coherent Technologies, Inc.
Louisville CO
work email

CHale

Mark wrote in message uth.net...
In article ,
says...
Hello--I need to take an industrial (Dage/MTI) infrared camera
composite video output signal and get it to play properly on a little
Casio EV-570 LCD TV. The Casio machine has an "A/V in" 3.5 mm phono
type receptacle on it, but I have to say, I don't know exactly what
the heck this input is. I can say that things don't work by simply
connecting the camera composite video signal to this input. Can
anyone tell me just what the "A/V in" format is, and can you direct me
to some simple converter on the market?

You were on the right track. The A/V input is a 3 conductor
(sometimes called "stereo") mini jack. It will have
composite video, mono audio, and common ground. The only
question (easily answered thru trial and error) is whether
the tip or ring is the video.

Five minutes of experimentation should put you in business,
and don't worry, you won't hurt anything by hooking it up
"wrong".

Thanks Mark. So, composite video is there in the "A/V" format, is it?
Cool. When I hook up the camera composite video (1 V p-p, by the
way, per the camera manual) output to the Casio's A/V input via a
simple BNC/3.5 mm phono adapter, I get a nasty buzz emitted from the
Casio and no picture at all. If the leads are simply not matched up
right via the little phono adapter, then I can imagine some sort of
audio symptom like this might emerge! I'll sure look at that ASAP.
Thanks--
Charley
red

A BNC adaptor will not help as it is only a single conductor with a ground.
(or 2 conductor) I'm sure there is an adaptor out there somewhere, but have
never seen one. You could easily make one yourself. Buy a Male 3.5mm(mini)
solder type connector (very cheap) and 2 RCA male solder type, also some 2
conductor cable with shielding. at the camera end of the cable take one lead
and split the shield and solder it to a RCA male adaptor. Make sure the
shield is used as ground (duh) The camera likely only has a mono audio
output, so do the same with the other conductor and the other half of the
split shield. At the 3.5 end (this is where you will have to experiment)
Solder one connector to "tip" the other to "ring" and the shield to the
ground.(shield). If you here the nasty buzz again, the reveres the tip and
ring and it should work.

"CHale" wrote in message
om...
Mark wrote in message

uth.net...
In article ,
says...
[...]

CHale

"red" wrote in message ...
A BNC adaptor will not help as it is only a single conductor with a ground.
(or 2 conductor) I'm sure there is an adaptor out there somewhere, but have
never seen one. You could easily make one yourself. Buy a Male 3.5mm(mini)
solder type connector (very cheap) and 2 RCA male solder type, also some 2
conductor cable with shielding. at the camera end of the cable take one lead
and split the shield and solder it to a RCA male adaptor. Make sure the
shield is used as ground (duh) The camera likely only has a mono audio
output, so do the same with the other conductor and the other half of the
split shield. At the 3.5 end (this is where you will have to experiment)
Solder one connector to "tip" the other to "ring" and the shield to the
ground.(shield). If you here the nasty buzz again, the reveres the tip and
ring and it should work.

"CHale" wrote in message
om...
Mark wrote in message

uth.net...
In article ,
says...
[...]

Hello all,
This all worked oput very nicely. I determined that the middle
contact on the 3-contact 3.5 mm phono plug was the composite video in
contact; bottom one ground; top/end contact monaural audio (the IR
camera has no audio out, so this wire/contact isn't used). Made a
BNC/3.5 mm plug adaptor cable and plugged it in; it works great now.
Thanks--Charley Hale