Larry J.

Default TV Repair group..?

Can't find a group specific to TV repair. Is this group
appropriate..?

"Lord, are we worthy of the task that lies before us,
or are we just jerking off..?"
Sam Goldwasser

"Larry J." writes:

Can't find a group specific to TV repair. Is this group
appropriate..?

This is it.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Art

May want to post the appropriate model number, chassis, and make of the
product in question plus any diagnostics that you have preformed, inclusive
of the symptom, etc.
BTW: The links that Sam posted are absolutely great for information

regarding servicing and repair of many diverse products, especially the
safety related notices which all should regard. .
"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Larry J." writes:

Can't find a group specific to TV repair. Is this group
appropriate..?

This is it.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the
excessive
traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is
ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Larry J.

Waiving the right to remain silent, Sam Goldwasser
said:

"Larry J." writes:

Can't find a group specific to TV repair. Is this group
appropriate..?

This is it.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/
Repair | Main Table of Contents:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:
| http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out
the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message
header is ignored. To contact me, please use the feedback form
on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Thanks for the answer and links..!

"Lord, are we worthy of the task that lies before us,
or are we just jerking off..?"
Martin White

If you want to be told to take it to a proper service engineer, then yep,
this is it!

"Larry J." writes:

Can't find a group specific to TV repair. Is this group
appropriate..?

This is it.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the
excessive
traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is
ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Mark D. Zacharias

"Martin White" wrote in message
If you want to be told to take it to a proper service engineer, then yep,
this is it!

Knowledgeable shade tree types are welcome, but the inside of a tv is no
place for the clueless. We do try to protect from themselves those who don't
seem to have the skills necessary.

Mark Z.

snip

Art

That is an open ended question. Many have done fairly well, many have
failed. As with any professional career, diligence, devotion, developed
skills, and major tutoring are mandated. There have been other posts
regarding this question with much said regarding longevity of it as a viable
living for the future. Seeing the complexity and additional lessening of
quality and cost of many of the consumer electronic devices. Recommendation:
Again open ended depending on your specific hopes and many times location.
Cheers
"Amin" wrote in message
m...
Can we make a living to servicing tv?

Martin White

Fair enough!

I did actually think, "ouch, i shouldn't have sent that" after i clicked
send, but obviously, it's too late by then :O)

Just been lurking here for a while and i see it quite a lot that's all. I
guess it's just something that bugs me.

I do this for a hobby, being into old arcade machines i fix monitors that
are 20+ years old all the time and have a few of the relevent tools (high
voltage probe, scope and even a rejeuvenator - amazing how often these
things need that!). Don't understand the theory in the slightest really, but
i certainly do know what to touch and what not to, how to read schematics
and for the stuff that i work on a reasonable amount of "this symptom = this
fix". So for me "get it serviced" is a pointless reply that's really
annoying, especially as no TV repair shops around me are going to tell me to
do anything other than trash the monitors i work on and buy new (not
possible with colour vectors that haven't been made since 1983 or so).

Anyway, enough. I was expecting more of a grilling over that comment and
figured i should explain myself a little :O)

I'll go back to lurk mode again now!

Martin.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
"Martin White" wrote in message
If you want to be told to take it to a proper service engineer, then yep,
this is it!

Knowledgeable shade tree types are welcome, but the inside of a tv is no
place for the clueless. We do try to protect from themselves those who
don't seem to have the skills necessary.

Mark Z.

snip

Leonard Caillouet

No need to lurk. You will get more help here in trying to understand how to
service television products than anywhere else that I can think of. That
is, you will if you don't **** off the people that will otherwise be happy
to help. Once the guys here get to know you a bit you will not get many
"get it serviced" comments unless you appear to be clueless and interested
ONLY in symptom-repair solutions. Ask a reasonable, well thought out, and
well phrased question and you will likely get some good answers if you want
to understand more about TV repair.

Leonard

[...]

Depends on your expected standard of living really.

If you are the "boffin" style of fellow shuffling between piles of
wrecked VCR's and talking to yourself like catweezle then yes, stay
with TV.

If you have wife, ruggies, house, ski boat etc then keep your eyes on
the ball and be flexible enough to roll with whatever technology needs
assistance integrating with normal people.

Lots of luck.

Sam T