CHRIS VINCE

Default cd player repair?

Please can someone advise me regarding a defect on a Kenwood 3 disc player?
It started showing no cd on the front display when this was obviously wrong.
I have replaced the KSS 213B laser unit but with no effect as it still
displays the message.
Whilst I am not an expert I am too stubborn to give in to a plastic box of
wires.
Regards,
Chris

Leonard Caillouet

CHRIS VINCE wrote:
Please can someone advise me regarding a defect on a Kenwood 3 disc

player?
It started showing no cd on the front display when this was obviously

wrong.
I have replaced the KSS 213B laser unit but with no effect as it still
displays the message.
Whilst I am not an expert I am too stubborn to give in to a plastic box

of
wires.
Regards,
Chris

Did you remove the solder short on the new pickup?

Leonard

Ken

CHRIS VINCE wrote:
Please can someone advise me regarding a defect on a Kenwood 3 disc player?
It started showing no cd on the front display when this was obviously wrong.
I have replaced the KSS 213B laser unit but with no effect as it still
displays the message.
Whilst I am not an expert I am too stubborn to give in to a plastic box of
wires.
Regards,
Chris

Make sure that the disc is spinning once it is accessed by the laser.
If it is not, it will act as no disc has been inserted.
Sam Goldwasser

"CHRIS VINCE" writes:

Please can someone advise me regarding a defect on a Kenwood 3 disc player?
It started showing no cd on the front display when this was obviously wrong.
I have replaced the KSS 213B laser unit but with no effect as it still
displays the message.
Whilst I am not an expert I am too stubborn to give in to a plastic box of
wires.

If there was a solder short on the cable of the new pickup, did you remove
it?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Mark D. Zacharias

The solder-short on a KSS-213 is on the little PC board part of the pickup.

mz

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"CHRIS VINCE" writes:

Please can someone advise me regarding a defect on a Kenwood 3 disc

player?
It started showing no cd on the front display when this was obviously

wrong.
I have replaced the KSS 213B laser unit but with no effect as it still
displays the message.
Whilst I am not an expert I am too stubborn to give in to a plastic box

of
wires.

If there was a solder short on the cable of the new pickup, did you remove
it?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the

excessive
traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is

ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

LASERandDVDfan

Please can someone advise me regarding a defect on a Kenwood 3 disc player?
It started showing no cd on the front display when this was obviously wrong.
I have replaced the KSS 213B laser unit but with no effect as it still
displays the message.

1. As advised, if the pickup has a solder short, it must be desoldered to
allow the pickup to operate. This solder short is designed to protect the
pickup electronics from electrostatic discharge damage during shipment, but
must be remove to allow normal operation.

2. Does the pickup use a ribbon cable to connect it to the player? Sometimes,
breaks can develop on the conductors which can cause a malfunction.

You won't have to worry about recalibration of this pickup as it is a Sony
part. Sony pickups are usually precalibrated at the factory. A lot of
manufacturers, including Kenwood and Onkyo, have used Sony pickups in their CD
players. - Reinhart