Jim Beaver

Default Sony Trinitron goes off and on, off and on

I've got a bulky Sony Trinitron XBR exhibiting weird symptoms. First I
noticed that it was taking an inordinately longer time to come on when
turned on. It takes anywhere from thirty seconds to two minutes to get the
degaussing click and for the red light to start flashing on the front of the
cabinet. Once those two things happen, it warms up and pictures up within
the normal time frame.

Then, after a few days of this, it began turning itself off and eventually
back on, usually at but not restricted to times when my air conditioning
system cycled on. There is a dark transluscent strip at the top front of
the cabinet, above the screen, that lights up a dim red after the set has
turned itself off. This dim red glow continues for however long it takes
the set to get back to being ready to come on again. Then the red glow goes
out, the set clicks, the red light starts flashing, then the set comes back
on as though nothing had happened. Ten minutes or five minutes or half an
hour later, it does it again. Like I say, it's usually when the air
conditioner comes on, but not always.

A minor and unrelated problem: I can't find my remote for this set, and
can't figure out how to get rid of the word 'LINE' displayed on the screen
in the lower right. It's been there for weeks. I know there's probably a
menu or display button on the remote, but how can I get rid of it without
the remote?

Sorry I haven't got exact model numbers. It's a huge set, too big for me to
manhandle by myself, and it's in place in a TV armoire and I can't readily
access the back.

Thanks.

Jim Beaver

Jerry G.

The cycling is either from an intermittent on one of the circuit boards, or
some component(s) has become thermo sensitive, and is going in and out of
specs. You mentioned the air conditioning nearby that is effecting the sets
response to operate.

The set will have to be properly serviced. This is not something you will be
able to do yourself, unless you are properly equipped and trained for this
type of work. There are also many safety issues involved for doing TV
service.

As for the status display on the screen, only the original remote control
can turn this on and off. Even the universal ones will not access this
option. The original remote can be ordered from any of the Sony authorized
parts distributors. If the set is too old, they may be able to supply a
substitute replacement type of remote that is from Sony.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
m...
[...]

davexnet02

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:11:19 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
wrote:

[...]

This is remarkable, I'm having almost identical problems with my
27 inch XBR (from 1992). That strip at the top lights up when the
set is plugged in, stays lit for about 2 minutes, goes out by itself,
and the TV immediately turns on.
That strip with the small red lights is the headphone transmitter.
On my set, if I hit the headphones button on the RC, the set
turns off immediately.
How/Why such a thing should be involved seems odd to me, but there
you go. I'm just amazed that two people suffered this same weird
thing at the same time...
I've already started researching repair shops in my area.
Dave
davexnet02

wrote:

|I've got a bulky Sony Trinitron XBR exhibiting weird symptoms. First I
|noticed that it was taking an inordinately longer time to come on when
|turned on. It takes anywhere from thirty seconds to two minutes to get the
|degaussing click and for the red light to start flashing on the front of the
|cabinet. Once those two things happen, it warms up and pictures up within
|the normal time frame.
|
|Then, after a few days of this, it began turning itself off and eventually
|back on, usually at but not restricted to times when my air conditioning
|system cycled on. There is a dark transluscent strip at the top front of
|the cabinet, above the screen, that lights up a dim red after the set has
|turned itself off. This dim red glow continues for however long it takes
|the set to get back to being ready to come on again. Then the red glow goes
|out, the set clicks, the red light starts flashing, then the set comes back
|on as though nothing had happened. Ten minutes or five minutes or half an
|hour later, it does it again. Like I say, it's usually when the air
|conditioner comes on, but not always.
|
|A minor and unrelated problem: I can't find my remote for this set, and
|can't figure out how to get rid of the word 'LINE' displayed on the screen
|in the lower right. It's been there for weeks. I know there's probably a
|menu or display button on the remote, but how can I get rid of it without
|the remote?
|
|Sorry I haven't got exact model numbers. It's a huge set, too big for me to
|manhandle by myself, and it's in place in a TV armoire and I can't readily
|access the back.
|
|Thanks.
|
|Jim Beaver

To me this sounds like classic SMPS pulse by pulse current limiting
due to drying out of electrolytic caps in the power supply. That would
be the first place I would start checking.

Ross H

Hi Ross, I did a visual inspection of the power supply board,
and I couldn't see any signs of degredation. Would the "drying out"
be visible?

On the main circuit board (The A board) I did see a
transformer, a one inch square block that was covered in
a white, powdery-looking substance which didn't clean
off easily. Eventually I was able to get most of it
off using an electronics spray. That was the only component on the
whole board that actually looked sick. This part is known as
T503 HDT in the service manual. Ant relevance?
Thanks,
Dave
davexnet02

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 03:32:43 GMT, Ross Herbert
wrote:

Not having any knowledge of this particular unit I don't know what the
'A' board is. An experienced electronics tech would be able to
determine which components comprised the switch mode power suppy
(SMPS) section and check out the capacitors.

Rgds,

Ross H

Ross - appreciate yur suggestions. The A board is the main circuit
board of the chassis. It's sits flat, and all the other boards rise
from it in a vertical manner.
According to the service manual, this board comprises
Tuner vif/sif
High voltage circuit
H/V deflection
X-rays protection
H.Pin correction
Audio power amp.

The G board is the power supply and degauss circuit.

Regards,
Dave H.

davexnet02

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:14:53 GMT, Ross Herbert
wrote:

Re the lack of a remote control....

I don't think you will be able to get much joy from your set without
one. A search shows that this one
http://www.mjsales.net/items.asp?Fam...=272&Cat2ID=55
suits the 32XBR450, 36XBR450 and 40XBR700

Then you will need some info on the service mode
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_SonySet.html

Ross H

Hi Ross,
actually I have my remote.
I'm not the original poster, I contributed to the post
because I had similar symptms the headphones LED.
The OP never responded back yet. Shame, we might have
been able to find some commonality what with this
very odd symptom and all.
Dave
Jim Beaver

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message

wrote:

|Re the lack of a remote control....
|
|I don't think you will be able to get much joy from your set without
|one. A search shows that this one
|http://www.mjsales.net/items.asp?Fam...=272&Cat2ID=55
|suits the 32XBR450, 36XBR450 and 40XBR700
|
|Then you will need some info on the service mode
|http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_SonySet.html
|
|Ross H
|Hi Ross,
|actually I have my remote.
|I'm not the original poster,

Sorry Dave, I checked back on the wrong post.

Yes, it would have been helpful to see what the OP discovered if
anything. Feedback following suggestions is helpful for everyone
concerned.

I'm the OP, but I haven't learned anything since my previous posts. I am
not a technician (funny, the Marine Corps thought I was one, but that was
thirty-five years ago). I haven't opened the case because I don't know what
I'm doing, and I haven't gotten a service person to do so yet, because I
can't manhandle the set out of the piece of furniture it's in without help.
(Big set. Three people big.) As soon as I can get it out and get it
checked, I'll report back on what's wrong. Or rather, I'll report back on
what the guy from Sony says is wrong.

Thanks for the help.

Jim Beaver

davexnet02

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:36:34 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

|Re the lack of a remote control....
|
|I don't think you will be able to get much joy from your set without
|one. A search shows that this one
|http://www.mjsales.net/items.asp?Fam...=272&Cat2ID=55
|suits the 32XBR450, 36XBR450 and 40XBR700
|
|Then you will need some info on the service mode
|http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_SonySet.html
|
|Ross H
|Hi Ross,
|actually I have my remote.
|I'm not the original poster,

Sorry Dave, I checked back on the wrong post.

Yes, it would have been helpful to see what the OP discovered if
anything. Feedback following suggestions is helpful for everyone
concerned.

I'm the OP, but I haven't learned anything since my previous posts. I am
not a technician (funny, the Marine Corps thought I was one, but that was
thirty-five years ago). I haven't opened the case because I don't know what
I'm doing, and I haven't gotten a service person to do so yet, because I
can't manhandle the set out of the piece of furniture it's in without help.
(Big set. Three people big.)

Thanks for the help.

Jim Beaver

Hi Jim, thanks for the info. I'm the other responder who
has very similar symptoms to you. I've taken the back off
mine, pulled the chassis out, but I wasn't able to find the problem.
At this point I'm ready to get a serviceman myself.
As soon as I can get it out and get it
checked, I'll report back on what's wrong. Or rather, I'll report back on
what the guy from Sony says is wrong.

Likewise -
Dave

Jim Beaver

m...

wrote:

|Re the lack of a remote control....
|
|I don't think you will be able to get much joy from your set without
|one. A search shows that this one

|http://www.mjsales.net/items.asp?Fam...=272&Cat2ID=55
|suits the 32XBR450, 36XBR450 and 40XBR700
|
|Then you will need some info on the service mode
|http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_SonySet.html
|
|Ross H
|Hi Ross,
|actually I have my remote.
|I'm not the original poster,

Sorry Dave, I checked back on the wrong post.

Yes, it would have been helpful to see what the OP discovered if
anything. Feedback following suggestions is helpful for everyone
concerned.

I'm the OP, but I haven't learned anything since my previous posts. I am
not a technician (funny, the Marine Corps thought I was one, but that was
thirty-five years ago). I haven't opened the case because I don't know

what
I'm doing, and I haven't gotten a service person to do so yet, because I
can't manhandle the set out of the piece of furniture it's in without

help.
(Big set. Three people big.) As soon as I can get it out and get it
checked, I'll report back on what's wrong. Or rather, I'll report back on
what the guy from Sony says is wrong.

Following up on this last post of mine: I finally got the thing turned
around enough to see the label. It's a KV32XBR36 -- manufactured in Nov.
1993.

Does this date or model change anybody's mind about whether it's worth
paying to fix it? If it's really 11 years old, isn't it likely to blow
something else pretty soon anyway?

Jim Beaver

davexnet02

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:08:23 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
wrote:

Following up on this last post of mine: I finally got the thing turned
around enough to see the label. It's a KV32XBR36 -- manufactured in Nov.
1993.

Does this date or model change anybody's mind about whether it's worth
paying to fix it? If it's really 11 years old, isn't it likely to blow
something else pretty soon anyway?

Jim Beaver

Hi Jim, mine's a year older than yours and the 27 inch version -
kv27xbr35. I consider the TV worth fixing or at least gettng
a professional diagnosis. Prior to the problem, the TV had
excellent picture and sound.
I've got a service guy coming tomorrow. I should have an update
in the evening.
Dave

davexnet02

wrote:

Following up on this last post of mine: I finally got the thing turned
around enough to see the label. It's a KV32XBR36 -- manufactured in Nov.
1993.

Does this date or model change anybody's mind about whether it's worth
paying to fix it? If it's really 11 years old, isn't it likely to blow
something else pretty soon anyway?

Jim Beaver

Hi Jim, mine's a year older than yours and the 27 inch version -
kv27xbr35. I consider the TV worth fixing or at least gettng
a professional diagnosis. Prior to the problem, the TV had
excellent picture and sound.
I've got a service guy coming tomorrow. I should have an update
in the evening.
Dave

According to the service guy who came today, he believes the
problem is due to the main IC on the "U" board, which he says
from experience needs to be replaced.
This IC is about 2 inches by 1 inch. The U board,
according to my service manual is the comb filter.
He took the chassis with him, and if it goes to plan,
he'll be back with it on Saturday.
I paid him $45 for the home service and
diagnosis, plus he wants $220 to fix it.

Dave
ggulden

Hi Dave,
Did replacing the main IC on the U board fix this problem? I have the
exact same TV, even the year and it is showing the same problem.
Greg

Dave Miller

wrote:

[...]

Hello All --

I have a Sony KV32XBR48 that has similar symptoms. I am very interested to
know if the repair worked.

Thanks

Dave M

davexnet02

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 03:42:54 GMT, davexnet02
wrote:

According to the service guy who came today, he believes the
problem is due to the main IC on the "U" board, which he says
from experience needs to be replaced.
This IC is about 2 inches by 1 inch. The U board,
according to my service manual is the comb filter.
He took the chassis with him, and if it goes to plan,
he'll be back with it on Saturday.
I paid him $45 for the home service and
diagnosis, plus he wants $220 to fix it.

Dave

The service guy was wrong, turned out to be
a problem in the power supply. See here for
more details:
http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic....16149&forum=34

Dave