Jim Beaver

Default Sony Trinitron goes off and on, off and on

I've got a bulky Sony Trinitron XBR exhibiting weird symptoms. First I
noticed that it was taking an inordinately longer time to come on when
turned on. It takes anywhere from thirty seconds to two minutes to get the
degaussing click and for the red light to start flashing on the front of the
cabinet. Once those two things happen, it warms up and pictures up within
the normal time frame.

Then, after a few days of this, it began turning itself off and eventually
back on, usually at but not restricted to times when my air conditioning
system cycled on. There is a dark transluscent strip at the top front of
the cabinet, above the screen, that lights up a dim red after the set has
turned itself off. This dim red glow continues for however long it takes
the set to get back to being ready to come on again. Then the red glow goes
out, the set clicks, the red light starts flashing, then the set comes back
on as though nothing had happened. Ten minutes or five minutes or half an
hour later, it does it again. Like I say, it's usually when the air
conditioner comes on, but not always.

A minor and unrelated problem: I can't find my remote for this set, and
can't figure out how to get rid of the word 'LINE' displayed on the screen
in the lower right. It's been there for weeks. I know there's probably a
menu or display button on the remote, but how can I get rid of it without
the remote?

Sorry I haven't got exact model numbers. It's a huge set, too big for me to
manhandle by myself, and it's in place in a TV armoire and I can't readily
access the back.

Thanks.

Jim Beaver