Jim Beaver

Default Sony Trinitron goes off and on, off and on

I've got a bulky Sony Trinitron XBR exhibiting weird symptoms. First I
noticed that it was taking an inordinately longer time to come on when
turned on. It takes anywhere from thirty seconds to two minutes to get the
degaussing click and for the red light to start flashing on the front of the
cabinet. Once those two things happen, it warms up and pictures up within
the normal time frame.

Then, after a few days of this, it began turning itself off and eventually
back on, usually at but not restricted to times when my air conditioning
system cycled on. There is a dark transluscent strip at the top front of
the cabinet, above the screen, that lights up a dim red after the set has
turned itself off. This dim red glow continues for however long it takes
the set to get back to being ready to come on again. Then the red glow goes
out, the set clicks, the red light starts flashing, then the set comes back
on as though nothing had happened. Ten minutes or five minutes or half an
hour later, it does it again. Like I say, it's usually when the air
conditioner comes on, but not always.

A minor and unrelated problem: I can't find my remote for this set, and
can't figure out how to get rid of the word 'LINE' displayed on the screen
in the lower right. It's been there for weeks. I know there's probably a
menu or display button on the remote, but how can I get rid of it without
the remote?

Sorry I haven't got exact model numbers. It's a huge set, too big for me to
manhandle by myself, and it's in place in a TV armoire and I can't readily
access the back.

Thanks.

Jim Beaver

Jerry G.

The cycling is either from an intermittent on one of the circuit boards, or
some component(s) has become thermo sensitive, and is going in and out of
specs. You mentioned the air conditioning nearby that is effecting the sets
response to operate.

The set will have to be properly serviced. This is not something you will be
able to do yourself, unless you are properly equipped and trained for this
type of work. There are also many safety issues involved for doing TV
service.

As for the status display on the screen, only the original remote control
can turn this on and off. Even the universal ones will not access this
option. The original remote can be ordered from any of the Sony authorized
parts distributors. If the set is too old, they may be able to supply a
substitute replacement type of remote that is from Sony.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
m...
[...]

davexnet02

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:11:19 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
wrote:

[...]

This is remarkable, I'm having almost identical problems with my
27 inch XBR (from 1992). That strip at the top lights up when the
set is plugged in, stays lit for about 2 minutes, goes out by itself,
and the TV immediately turns on.
That strip with the small red lights is the headphone transmitter.
On my set, if I hit the headphones button on the RC, the set
turns off immediately.
How/Why such a thing should be involved seems odd to me, but there
you go. I'm just amazed that two people suffered this same weird
thing at the same time...
I've already started researching repair shops in my area.
Dave