Suraj Singh

Default Where to buy components?

Hi,
I have a touch lamp 3-way dimmer which I wanted to repair. I found
that it uses BT134 Triac which have shorted and lamp remains on all
the time.

I tried to find Triac in RadioShack (New Jersey) but could not find
it.

Can anybody please suggest me where to buy components. I could find
some online stores which are good for bulk buying. I am looking for
stores for buying components in small quantities for hobby purposes. I
am new to component buying in USA, please help?

TIA

Suraj

Tim Schwartz

Hello,

In addition to the 2 companies the other poster mentioned I would add:

www.mcmelectronics.com, good general purpose repair parts source for a
lot of consumer goods. Prices usually reasonable, minimum order not too
high.

Alas, while there used to be several good electronics parts suppliers
in northern New Jersey and in New York City, they have all gone out of
business over the last 20 years, but if you find one, please let me
know!

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Suraj Singh wrote:

Hi,
I have a touch lamp 3-way dimmer which I wanted to repair. I found
that it uses BT134 Triac which have shorted and lamp remains on all
the time.

I tried to find Triac in RadioShack (New Jersey) but could not find
it.

Can anybody please suggest me where to buy components. I could find
some online stores which are good for bulk buying. I am looking for
stores for buying components in small quantities for hobby purposes. I
am new to component buying in USA, please help?

TIA

Suraj

James Sweet

"Suraj Singh" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I have a touch lamp 3-way dimmer which I wanted to repair. I found
that it uses BT134 Triac which have shorted and lamp remains on all
the time.

I tried to find Triac in RadioShack (New Jersey) but could not find
it.

Can anybody please suggest me where to buy components. I could find
some online stores which are good for bulk buying. I am looking for
stores for buying components in small quantities for hobby purposes. I
am new to component buying in USA, please help?

TIA

Suraj

Radio Shack sells a suitable triac, it won't have the same number on it but
it'll work.

Bob Shuman

I've repaired two of these touch lamp 3-way dimmers over the last 5 years
(two different lamps) and both times it was the electrolytic capacitors that
had gone out of spec. Just an FYI to make sure the problem is really with
the triac before you search for the replacement.

Good luck!

Bob

"mike appenzeller" wrote in message
om...
(Suraj Singh) wrote in message

. com...
Hi,
I have a touch lamp 3-way dimmer which I wanted to repair. I found
that it uses BT134 Triac which have shorted and lamp remains on all
the time.

I tried to find Triac in RadioShack (New Jersey) but could not find
it.

Can anybody please suggest me where to buy components. I could find
some online stores which are good for bulk buying. I am looking for
stores for buying components in small quantities for hobby purposes. I
am new to component buying in USA, please help?

TIA

Suraj Singh

Thanks to all who replied! Well I live in Sayreville. This weekend I
am going to try out any available TRIAC with Radio Shack with a
voltage rating of 300V or more even 200V will do with little risk.

When I opened the little box in the base of lamp physically circuit
looked fine, no burn out. next I found the schemetic on google and my
sus****ion was no TRIAC. I do not have a multimeter with me so I
carried out a little experiment to make sure the TRIAC is faulty. I
just disconnected the Gate and left it floating in the air, plugged in
the lamp in supply and the bulb was on. To further make sure (in case
TRIAC is tooooo sensitive) I tied the Gate with Cathode, bulb was
still on, it means the gate has lost control.

I knew this happens with SCRs and TRIACs as I have used them while
designing my own solid state relays, light operated porch lamp and
clap switch.

I will try to put a pre-amplifier and a condenser mic to make this
lamp clap operated along with the touch.... but thats the next step.
James Sweet

"Suraj Singh" wrote in message
om...
Thanks to all who replied! Well I live in Sayreville. This weekend I
am going to try out any available TRIAC with Radio Shack with a
voltage rating of 300V or more even 200V will do with little risk.

One thing I forgot, I don't think the Radio Shack triacs have the tab
isolated from the center pin, so if it mounts to a non-isolated heatsink
(like the casing of the dimmer) you should use a mica insulator. Wouldn't
hurt to check the triac to see if it is isolated though..