Ron Hardin

Default Safe to use WD40 as switch or potentiometer cleaner?

Franky wrote:

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

I have great results with Caig DeoxIT, which prevents oxidation as well. WD40 sounds
very unlikely.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....7&WebPage_ID=3

I use the brush-on mostly, on plugs and jacks; the spray for some pots.
Actually works.
--
Ron Hardin

Agonia

No, it is flammable, doesn't really clean that good, and leaves a residue
that attracts dirt.
Use a real electronic cleaner (usually a heavy freon type) cost is about the
same.

In sci.physics Franky wrote:
Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

Some rambling thoughts:

The carrier and other volatiles may or may not attack plasic parts
depending on the type of plastic.

I've seen contact cleaners that leave a residue detune RF circuits at
VHF and UHF frequencies.

I've seen contact cleaners that leave a residue cause problems with
high voltage (several hundred volts) circuits as well as high impedance
circuits. I'm guessing that the residue caused dust, etc. to stick
which was just conductive enough to cause a problem.

In general, if all you have is WD40 and you are judicious in applying
it, it should be OK.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
John Miller

Franky wrote:
Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

The following is offered for information/trivia value only. If ex-Tek
repair guy Jim Yanik happens to read this, he will be able to confirm,
clarify or refute.

If memory serves, WD-40 has been specified in some Tek service manuals for
certain contact cleaning applications (definitely not all, and please do
not use it on the basis of this anecdotal information.)

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

Life is one long struggle in the dark.
-- Titus Lucretius Carus

kony

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:10:38 +0100, Franky
wrote:

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

Not really, there is nothing particularly good/appropriate about
using it. It will leave oily film behind that dissolves the
grease in moving parts (which should stay in those parts) and
will attract dust.

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Generally a pot will clean itself good enough if you just turn it
back and forth a few times, unless the spring-metal contacts's
tension has been reduced though wear. If that's the case it's
"sometimes" possible to gently pry open the pot and (re)bend
contacts back out, but it's really a last-ditch effort if you
can't find another pot or need immediate fix.

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

Why would anyone want to use a degreaser that leaves behind a
residue of it's own? It may work a bit but mostly if that pot
had decades-old hardened grease, not for parts that were
regularly used. WD40 may help with mechanical function of the
pot but electrical contact should be worse over time.

Michael Black

John Miller ) writes:
Franky wrote:
Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

The following is offered for information/trivia value only. If ex-Tek
repair guy Jim Yanik happens to read this, he will be able to confirm,
clarify or refute.

If memory serves, WD-40 has been specified in some Tek service manuals for
certain contact cleaning applications (definitely not all, and please do
not use it on the basis of this anecdotal information.)

I saw part of one of their bulletins years ago, reprinted elsewhere, and
they said something about using WD-40 to clean the blue case on the scopes.

Michael

Bob Stephens

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:10:38 +0100, Franky wrote:

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

I used to work with a former safe and vault mechanic/locksmith who said
that WD40 was the worst thing you could do to a piece of machinery, because
the residue attracts grit and ends up being more abrasive than if you had
left it alone in the first place.

Bob
--
"Just machines that make big decisions
programmed by fellas with compassion and vision."
Graham W

Franky wrote:
Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

WD40 is a Water Dispersant and should never be used as a switch
cleaner since it isn't, by design, either a cleaner or lubricant.

Sam Wormley

Franky wrote:

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

The product designs for cleaning pots, connectors and switches is
DeoxIT D5 (Caig Laboratories, Inc.)
http://www.caig.com
Mark (UK)

Hi!

??

I think it is a lubricant, but maybe not an electrical one.....

It certainly lubricates parts on my car :-)

Yours, Mark.

Graham W wrote:

Franky wrote:

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

WD40 is a Water Dispersant and should never be used as a switch
cleaner since it isn't, by design, either a cleaner or lubricant.

John Miller

Mark (UK) wrote:

I think it is a lubricant, but maybe not an electrical one.....

It certainly lubricates parts on my car :-)

While it might technically have lubricant properties, it's not a very good
lubricant, having been formulated as a water dispersant. In particular, it
doesn't have much film strength.

It is a pretty good solvent for lots of things, though, and can sometimes be
used to "rejuvinate" dried up lubricants (which is by no means a substitute
for proper cleaning and re-lubing).

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by
one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

nospam

Franky wrote:

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

I have a Philips frequency counter with PCB mounted radio button type
switches. After about 10 years the switches were intermittent and a getting
to be a real pain in the arse.

I tried cleaning them several times with solvents (PCB cleaner and IPA tape
head cleaner) which made little difference I tried some WD40 which worked
wonders. It is probably another 10 years on now and the switches are still
fine.

I have also used WD40 very sparingly as a lubricant for PGA processor pins
in the days before motherboards had ZIF sockets. It made a huge difference
to the force required to get a chip in or out and had no noticeable
detrimental effects.

gothika

wrote:

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

NO! WD40 isn't even a good lubricant and certainly not a contact
cleaner or pot washer.
You didn't give any details as to the type of pot you want to clean.
some of the larger/older pots can be taken apart and washed out, then
relubed(lithium grease) and put back together.
You can use a regular contact cleaner or a solvent such as denatured
alchohol or isobutane(lighter fluid) to clean it out.
Blow it out with clean dry air.(or set it up and let it air dry)
A very thin coat of lithium based lube(I use Lubriplate) then
reasemble it.
If it's a newer style pot that has a sealed plastic case the best you
could do is spray or drip sonme contact cleaner around the base of the
shaft.( Sit unit up on it's back panel to allow gravity to force the
cleaner in.).
Let it sit for a few seconds and work the pot up and down to get the
grit/dust worked off the contact area.
If the pot's seam around the shaft looks like it has enough gap to put
a little air in you can try that to get the dust out.(I turn the unit
facing down, cover the pot with clean white paper towel and blow air
in using a fine point nozzle. You'll see if your getting any dirt out
by looking at the paper towel.)

Art Leonard

Franky wrote:
Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

WD40 is a mixture of kerosene and light spindle oil, not much good for
cleaning since it doesn't evaporate at any rate that would leave a dry
surface in your life time.

Art Leonard
Kim

Why the hell would you want to fill your switch or potentiometer with a
coating of slimy sticky oil, when cans of proper cleaner are only about 1.00
more expensive than a can of WD 40...hell you might as well use PAM!
Kim

"Art Leonard" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Franky wrote:
Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

WD40 is a mixture of kerosene and light spindle oil, not much good for
cleaning since it doesn't evaporate at any rate that would leave a dry
surface in your life time.

Art Leonard

Van Gardner

John Miller wrote in message ...
Mark (UK) wrote:

I think it is a lubricant, but maybe not an electrical one.....

It certainly lubricates parts on my car :-)

While it might technically have lubricant properties, it's not a very good
lubricant, having been formulated as a water dispersant. In particular, it
doesn't have much film strength.

It is a pretty good solvent for lots of things, though, and can sometimes be
used to "rejuvinate" dried up lubricants (which is by no means a substitute
for proper cleaning and re-lubing).

There is an interesting history of WD40 on the web at:

http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

I had used it for a long time to loosen rusted nuts & bolts. One day
I washed my car engine off at the car wash and got water in the
distributor cap and was trying to dry it out with a paper towel and
some man came over with a can of WD40 and sprayed some in the cap and
the engine started immediately. I later saw a program on TV telling
of the development of WD40 as a water displacement solution.

Van Gardner
gothika

Mark (UK) wrote:

[...]

The water displacement properties came about some years back with the
formula of WD40.
Up until then it was really just a light duty oil. And as anyone
versed in corrosion control knows light oils can actually promote rust
by holding water onto a metal surface.
This was WD40's major failing, it might loosen a stuck part up but if
left on would result in rust.
If you want a good lubricant AND corrosion control material then you
go with LPS.
It comes in different grades from very light (LPS1) to very heavy(LPS4
or even 5)
It displaces moisture/water and provides reduction in surface
friction.
You can use LPS 1 or 2 for electromechanical lubrication and it does
have some cleaning properties.
I used it for many years in industrial electronics in relays and
solenoids etc...
Even with the formulation change most professionals still consider
WD40 to be crap.
To clean out your pot use a good contact cleaner followed by the
proper grease.(Lithium based such as Lubriplate)
Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\

wrote:

[...]

My thought is that using something other than clear grease could cause
the pot's resistance to change. Grease with an additive could be less
than an insulator, causing a reduction in the pot's resistance.

ANother point. If a pot is worn, no amount of cleaner or lubricant is
going to make it unworn. It will need to be replaced if the equipment
has to perform like it was when it was new.

Franky wrote:
Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

WD40 is a mixture of kerosene and light spindle oil, not much good

for
cleaning since it doesn't evaporate at any rate that would leave a dry
surface in your life time.

And oil turns to varnish over a longer period of time.

Art Leonard

Graham W

Art Leonard wrote:
Franky wrote:
Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

WD40 is a mixture of kerosene and light spindle oil, not much good
for cleaning since it doesn't evaporate at any rate that would leave
a dry surface in your life time.

Except if you use WD40 to free-up and lubricate some mechanism
it'll all be gone in a fortnight!

Ken G.

There is a large ``cult`` against wd40 because someone chose to start it
then the rest have not tried it and are hell bent that it wont work .

For ordinary pot , switch , control cleaning wd40 works fine . More is
not better . It does not leave gunk behind .

Bob

I refuse to use WD-40 and, in fact, won't allow it in my home or shop. It
smells badly and any good that it can do is far exceeded by using better
stuff. Besides, it's very expensive.

There is another cult that seems to want to use this crap for almost any
purpose.

It's true that if a mechanism is sticky, you can use even plain water as a
lubricant to get it going. That doesn't mean it's a good idea in the long
run.

There is no substitute for careful cleaning and then replacement of proper
lubricant if needed. I have repaired many a noisy control simply by
exercising it, without chemicals. The problem with many controls is that
they sit in the same position so long they lose their function due to dust
and coagulation of lubricant.

Alan Douglas

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

WD40 is a mixture of kerosene and light spindle oil, not much good
for cleaning since it doesn't evaporate at any rate that would leave a
dry surface in your life time.

And oil turns to varnish over a longer period of time.

Referring to the Material Safety Data Sheet and other sources:

WD40 is 70% Stoddard solvent, a controlled-flash-point kerosene.
WD40 also contains 20% petroleum-base (paraffinic) oil, and less than
10% proprietary corrosion inhibitor, wetting agent, and fragrance.
The aerosol cans add 25% isobutane/propane propellant.

Over time, the paraffinic oil will react with atmospheric oxygen
and polymerize, creating what is technically termed a "gummy mess."

If you want a solvent, use a straight solvent. If you want
lubrication, use a good oil (they do vary in resistance to oxidation).
If you need to clean and maintain electrical contacts, use a product
made for that purpose.

Regards, Alan

ptaylor

Franky wrote:
Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

I tried to use it one to clean a dirty volume pot in an older TV.
It worked great,for about 3 minutes,then the volume control was
stiff,and sticky.The carbon resistance trace and become "goo" and the
pot was completely destroyed. WD40 sux for pots. Use DeOxit or something
similar.
RonKZ650

I tried to use it one to clean a dirty volume pot in an older TV.
It worked great,for about 3 minutes,then the volume control was
stiff,and sticky

I haven't had any problems. I've been using it to clean pots since tuner
cleaner turned to crap when it went CFC free. When was that? about 1990? I'm in
the business and have cleaned many thousand controls with WD40 and it works
great.
Ron

RonKZ650

Totally agree - you might as well spray peanut butter in your pots.
It does have its uses however -
the "Iwo Jima" method of flushing out the rat that the cat mislays behind
the woodstove springs to mind.

Well then I guess I've just been darn lucky that the thousands of pots I've
cleaned with WD40 worked out great. I'll find something different now that I
have read the truth.
Ron
John Robertson

My experience in twenty-five+ years of amusement game service leads me
to think that WD-40 is NOT good inside machines. Everything gums up
about five to ten years after some one sprays that stuff on moving
metal bits, then you have to take it apart somehow (lots of solvent)
and clean the glazed crap out.

I only use WD-40 for it's original intent - as a tool preservative.
It's WaterDisplacement-40th formula, anything else is based on it
comes out as a liquid there for it 'must' be good for lubrication.
Never designed as a lub...I'd never use it as a lube.

OK, the web site suggests using it to lubricate a dish washer arm ,
but read the other uses...
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40.cfm I fail to see volume controls or
any valuable electronic equipment mentioned...

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 06:45:47 -0600, (Ken G.) wrote:

There is a large ``cult`` against wd40 because someone chose to start it
then the rest have not tried it and are hell bent that it wont work .

For ordinary pot , switch , control cleaning wd40 works fine . More is
not better . It does not leave gunk behind .

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com

Leonard G. Caillouet

I can't see why there is such a debate about this. Most who have used it
concur that the best cleaner/preservative is, and has been for a couple of
decades, Caig's Deoxit (aka Cramolin). WD40 is what it is, a relatively
poor lubricant and cleaner. Numerous other cleaners and lubricants do a
better job on pots. What is the advantage to even considering WD-40 unless
you are in a pinch and have nothing else? The best products are just not
that much more expensive.

Leonard

"John Robertson" wrote in message
[...]

gothika

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:21:36 -0400, "Leonard G. Caillouet"
wrote:
`Correct, much to much said about it.
I'd just reiterated the obvious the times I did to try and get the
message through that using WD40 was a very bad idea.(If the poster's
pots survived it in the past it could attributed to the pots being of
good quality and very forgiving to such abuse, certainly not to any
"quality" of WD40.)
I've not used Cramolin, mostly the usual stuff from CRC or Chemtool or
LPS.
I'll have to search it out locally and give it a try.
I can't see why there is such a debate about this. Most who have used it
concur that the best cleaner/preservative is, and has been for a couple of
decades, Caig's Deoxit (aka Cramolin). WD40 is what it is, a relatively
poor lubricant and cleaner. Numerous other cleaners and lubricants do a
better job on pots. What is the advantage to even considering WD-40 unless
you are in a pinch and have nothing else? The best products are just not
that much more expensive.

Leonard

"John Robertson" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

gothika

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:10:00 GMT, John Robertson
wrote:

My experience in twenty-five+ years of amusement game service leads me
to think that WD-40 is NOT good inside machines. Everything gums up
about five to ten years after some one sprays that stuff on moving
metal bits, then you have to take it apart somehow (lots of solvent)
and clean the glazed crap out.

I only use WD-40 for it's original intent - as a tool preservative.
It's WaterDisplacement-40th formula, anything else is based on it
comes out as a liquid there for it 'must' be good for lubrication.
Never designed as a lub...I'd never use it as a lube.

You'd get much better results using LPS4 to keep your tools rust free.
It is one of the few lubricants that won't gum up, yet provides a
water resistant coating.
I used it years gone by when I too worked in the vending business
servicing onsite vending machines.
Great for loosening up sticky coin control units and such.

OK, the web site suggests using it to lubricate a dish washer arm ,
but read the other uses...
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40.cfm I fail to see volume controls or
any valuable electronic equipment mentioned...

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 06:45:47 -0600, (Ken G.) wrote:

There is a large ``cult`` against wd40 because someone chose to start it
then the rest have not tried it and are hell bent that it wont work .

For ordinary pot , switch , control cleaning wd40 works fine . More is
not better . It does not leave gunk behind .

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com

Ken G.

The WD-40 that is sent to this town is then different than all of yours
because i have no trouble with it gumming up anything .
You all are using to much or something .. i have sprayed it on things to
just clean them and had to leave them sit . When i returned the next day
all was dry .

I have noticed many people like to just follow the first person who says
something without really trying it . I have a can of Deoxit because it
was bragged about so much and it does work very well but no different
than WD . The Deoxit has a very funny rot smell too .

Ray L. Volts

"Franky" wrote in message
Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

As some have suggested, you can temporarily restore a scratchy/dirty pot or
switch by just moving it thru its range 5-10 or so times. But, as I said,
this is only a temporary fix. I've tried this on hundreds of different
kinds of pots and switches over the years and this method just doesn't last
long at all for controls that aren't in practically constant use afterward.
If you don't use the control often, you'll find the next time you try to use
it, it will once again be scratchy.

To clean scratchy pots and switches that have a case hole, I flush them with
tuner (or contact) cleaner sprays using a plastic extender tube. I've found
these cleaners work very well on the pot wipers and switch contacts over
time. These contact restorers all basically do the same thing, which is to
clean, lubricate and protect without having to disassemble the control. Of
course, if the pot or switch shaft originally had grease on it and the spray
removed it, you'll need to replace it -- GC's Lubriplate is thin and easily
worked down into the shaft housing.

Some pots are designed to offer heavier resistance to movement in order to
appear "smoother" (read high-quality) to the operator. These may employ a
special high-viscosity "damping" lube. This is similar to the lube that's
used on a record player's cue arm to allow it to lower the needle onto the
vinyl slowly and softly. It's also used in cassette decks, et al, to make
the door operation smoother. It is very thick and should be applied
sparingly. This is not readily available; you'll likely have to mail order
it.

Pots and switches in high frequency applications may be better served by
cleaning with a non-residue cleaner and then lubed with special high-freq.
grease (I use GC's Tunerlub).

WD-40 may not be great for pots, but it does last a good while on garage
door wheels and the like. Slick 50 spray is a good alternative for
garden-variety needs.

WD-40 is superb for removing dried contact cement! I use it to clean up DAP
cement after applying laminate (Formica, Wilsonart, etc.). It works better
than many other solvents I've tried. I wouldn't recommend it on porous
surfaces where it can soak in and cause probs, but on non-porous surfaces
such as these laminates it works wonders and it can be cleaned off easily
enough.
WD-40 also dissolves the gum backing from price stickers and the like, but I
prefer to use Chemtronics Label Adhesive Remover because it foams up and
stays in place (handy on vertical surfaces). It also smells a lot better
than WD-40.

But I digress...
Use products designed specifically for electronics use and you'll be happier
with your repairs in the long run.

Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:57:18 GMT, Art Leonard
put finger to keyboard and composed:

WD40 is a mixture of kerosene ...

See http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

What does WD-40 contain?

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40
does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water,
wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing
agents.

... and light spindle oil, not much good for
cleaning since it doesn't evaporate at any rate that would leave a dry
surface in your life time.

Art Leonard

- Franc Zabkar
Michael A. Covington

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret,

Actually, they have to disclose quite a bit in the MSDS:
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/msds_usa.html

Richard Henry

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:57:18 GMT, Art Leonard
put finger to keyboard and composed:

WD40 is a mixture of kerosene ...

See http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

What does WD-40 contain?

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40
does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water,
wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing
agents.

... and light spindle oil, not much good for
cleaning since it doesn't evaporate at any rate that would leave a dry
surface in your life time.

Just this week I used WD-40 to lubricate the garden gate hinges and sprayed
some on the cutters after pruning some shrubs.

Years ago in youthful ignorance I tried to clean a coffee spill out of a
computer keyboard with it. I eventually just got a new keyboard.

Woody

"Ken G." wrote in message
There is a large ``cult`` against wd40 because someone chose to start it
then the rest have not tried it and are hell bent that it wont work .

For ordinary pot , switch , control cleaning wd40 works fine . More is
not better . It does not leave gunk behind .

The old favourite was carbon tetrachloride (if you can still get it) with a
drop if machine oil in it - usually one drop of 3-in-1 in a teaspoonful of
CTC.

--

Woody

gothika

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:43:52 -0400, "Michael A. Covington"
wrote:

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret,

Actually, they have to disclose quite a bit in the MSDS:
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/msds_usa.html

HAHAHAHA! (I love it when someone gets harpooned.)