In sci.physics Franky wrote:
Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

Some rambling thoughts:

The carrier and other volatiles may or may not attack plasic parts
depending on the type of plastic.

I've seen contact cleaners that leave a residue detune RF circuits at
VHF and UHF frequencies.

I've seen contact cleaners that leave a residue cause problems with
high voltage (several hundred volts) circuits as well as high impedance
circuits. I'm guessing that the residue caused dust, etc. to stick
which was just conductive enough to cause a problem.

In general, if all you have is WD40 and you are judicious in applying
it, it should be OK.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.