Old June 3rd 20, 10:01 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Component to HDMI converters

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 7:22:33 AM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 3:03:43 AM UTC-4, bilou wrote:
On 01/06/2020 21:07, John-Del wrote:
I told him to pick up an Component to HDMI converter from Amazon

If the TV has no HDMI input a component to HDMI converter is exactly the
opposite of what could be expected to work.

Well, yeah.. an HDMI to component converter was what I was inaccurately describing. Fox got me good, but he did it by email... He's now out of my will but I don't think that's actually a punishment at all. I think I'll send him some nudes of Rosie O'Donnell..

Did you just admit to owing WMD?

Old June 3rd 20, 10:13 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 3:07:11 PM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
I have an old customer who has a 32" Panasonic CRT HD TV he wants to keep.. He bought a Roku and discovered the TV doesn't have an HDMI input. I told him to pick up an Component to HDMI converter from Amazon and an HDMI and component cable. He called and said he couldn't get it to work, so I took the ride to his town and brought component cables, HDMI cables, and a blu ray player.

Sure enough, there's no picture. When I plug my Blu Ray into the TV via component jacks, it has picture and sound so the component jacks are working as is the HD section of the TV. When I tried connecting the blu ray player through the HDMI adapter, it had sound but no picture, so neither the blu ray nor Roku was working through the adapter. I thought the adapter was bad but took it back to my shop to try and was surprised to find it works on a newer Samsung.

Is it possible the older Panasonic could get a blu ray HD through the component jacks but not work with an HDMI to component adapter?

I use a Roku Express with a sevenn inch HDMI security monitor. They talk to each other, and they didn't work the first try. I had to have the LCD monitor on first, to get them to communicate. After that it has worked OK. If the monitor gets turned off, it will display a 'Do you want to continue watching ????' when it is turned back on. The Roku also has a menu setting to turn off a display or TV. This is the low end version, and I use it in my bedroom, next to my computer. It was bought at Best Buy about six months ago for $30. It only has a USB port for power, and a HDMI port. The OEM power supply is crap. It is too close to the actual current draw of the Roku, so I power it from my main computer. So far, it has worked well. It is on 24/7 to help mask my Tinnitus.
Old June 3rd 20, 05:40 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 4:01:17 AM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 7:22:33 AM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 3:03:43 AM UTC-4, bilou wrote:
On 01/06/2020 21:07, John-Del wrote:
I told him to pick up an Component to HDMI converter from Amazon

If the TV has no HDMI input a component to HDMI converter is exactly the
opposite of what could be expected to work.

Well, yeah.. an HDMI to component converter was what I was inaccurately describing. Fox got me good, but he did it by email... He's now out of my will but I don't think that's actually a punishment at all. I think I'll send him some nudes of Rosie O'Donnell..

Did you just admit to owing WMD?

Well, the destruction would only be considered "mass" in the way it's deployed, no? If I send them to Jeff, it's a direct (and particularly nasty) assault certainly, but I think I'm OK as far as WMD go.

Old June 3rd 20, 08:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 11:40:58 AM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
[...]

Did you stop to think that Jeff might actually enjoy them?
Old June 4th 20, 12:33 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 2:55:45 PM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
[...]

Crap. I did not consider that possibility but clearly I should. You're a spoilsport Michael.

Old June 4th 20, 05:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/3/2020 1:13 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
[...]

You can search on EBay for 1st or 2nd generation Roku boxes; they have
analog outputs
Old June 4th 20, 07:46 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 11:58:04 AM UTC-4, Bennett wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that's a good idea. I ordered a different brand HDMI adapter which should be in Saturday. If that doesn't work, I'm done. He'll either have to do without or replace the TV. The guy is like 40 minutes each way away from me. Not to mention I spent about two hours with him when he was asking about Rokus, terrestrial antennas, etc. to get away from cable. No matter what happens, this was a loss. I've done other stuff for him so I don't mind giving him the time, but I'll give it one more shot with the new HDMI adapter.

If that doesn't work, I'll give him your info and see if he wants to try that (by himself!)
Old June 5th 20, 01:36 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bennett wrote:

You can search on EBay for 1st or 2nd generation Roku boxes; they have
analog outputs

Those aren't supported anymore and don't get software updates.

Most of the apps already on them don't run these days either.

-bruce

Old June 5th 20, 02:52 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 6:33:28 PM UTC-4, John-Del wrote:
[...]

Do you really want him bugging you for more photos?