Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Component to HDMI converters

I have an old customer who has a 32" Panasonic CRT HD TV he wants to keep. He bought a Roku and discovered the TV doesn't have an HDMI input. I told him to pick up an Component to HDMI converter from Amazon and an HDMI and component cable. He called and said he couldn't get it to work, so I took the ride to his town and brought component cables, HDMI cables, and a blu ray player.

Sure enough, there's no picture. When I plug my Blu Ray into the TV via component jacks, it has picture and sound so the component jacks are working as is the HD section of the TV. When I tried connecting the blu ray player through the HDMI adapter, it had sound but no picture, so neither the blu ray nor Roku was working through the adapter. I thought the adapter was bad but took it back to my shop to try and was surprised to find it works on a newer Samsung.

Is it possible the older Panasonic could get a blu ray HD through the component jacks but not work with an HDMI to component adapter?