Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bje@ripco.com is offline

Default Component to HDMI converters

John-Del wrote:

Is it possible the older Panasonic could get a blu ray HD through the
component jacks but not work with an HDMI to component adapter?

What about HDCP getting in the way?

I think when a output device (the player or Roku) is hooked up to a monitor,
there is a bunch of handshaking going on via the HDMI port between the two.

If the HDCP isn't satisfied the display is compliant, the video blanks on
the device.

The component is analog, so either doesn't care.

I know that there is a "black box" fix, rather than a cable, there is a box
that mimics the HDCP handshaking with the HDMI. Usually has some dip
switches to set for the monitors max resolution.

I haven't seen one in 5 or 6 years but I'd guess amazon or ebay may be your
freind. Sort of a fringe product.

Personally I'd give the guy a clue stick and just replace the set. A 32"
flat screen is $100 or less these days.

-bruce