Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Component to HDMI converters

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 6:35:06 AM UTC-4, wrote:
John-Del wrote:

Is it possible the older Panasonic could get a blu ray HD through the
component jacks but not work with an HDMI to component adapter?

What about HDCP getting in the way?

I think when a output device (the player or Roku) is hooked up to a monitor,
there is a bunch of handshaking going on via the HDMI port between the two.

If the HDCP isn't satisfied the display is compliant, the video blanks on
the device.

The component is analog, so either doesn't care.

But that's why it's weird. My blu ray DVD plays HD through his Panasonic's component jacks directly. I would think the problem would have been between the HDMI source (either the blu ray or Roku device) and the adapter, except that the same blu ray player worked with the same HDMI to component adapter on a bit newer TV back at my shop.

I know that there is a "black box" fix, rather than a cable, there is a box
that mimics the HDCP handshaking with the HDMI. Usually has some dip
switches to set for the monitors max resolution.

I haven't seen one in 5 or 6 years but I'd guess amazon or ebay may be your
freind. Sort of a fringe product.

Personally I'd give the guy a clue stick and just replace the set. A 32"
flat screen is $100 or less these days.

-bruce

That's true, but a 32" 4:3 is much larger than a 32" 16:9, but he has several flats in his house elsewhere that have given him a lot more trouble than his Panasonic CRT, which has never had a single problem and, well, he likes it. I also think it cost something like $1800 when he bought it. Older people don't like disposable.

In addition, a $100 32" TV has a lifespan measured in hundreds of hours.

I'm going to try a different brand of HDMI to component adapter and see if it works for him.

Thanks.