Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,163
Default 'scope clock advice please

Well, I've been gone for a month and this group is dead. So maybe
my questions will liven it up some. Or maybe everyone else is also on
vacation. I know, this is a repair group. But I will no doubt need to
repair whatever I build. And besides, I get better electronics advice
here, as in more of it and correct, than on the basics group.
While wasting some time on the computer while being on hold I came
across some small ocsilloscope CRTs, then looking for something to
light one of them up I saw some kits to make oscilloscope clocks. Only
34 bucks for the kit!
So I ordered a two inch CRT with electrostatic deflection. Here's a
link to the CRT I ordered:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5LO38I-Mini...f16e%7Ciid%3A1
Then on to ordering the kit. Hah! No dice. The kits are no longer
available. But I think I can still download the code for the
microcontrollers and the files for the circuit boards. Here is a link
to the page that the kit used to be available from:
http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClockH3-1-Enhanced.htm
The kit was also available from other sources but I can't find it
for sale anywhere. Darn. Maybe someone here bought one of these kits
and never built it and it is collecting dust. If so why not sell it to
me?
I also need to drive the CRT and I found a simple circuit called
the Mullard's Pupil Oscilloscope. Here's a link:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Mul...-Oscilloscope/
So, if I build the Mullard scope circuit will it drive the two
inch CRT I ordered seeing as how it was made to drive a 1 inch CRT?
And if that works will the Dutchtronix clock circuit work with the
Mullard scope and give me a nice looking display?
Look, this is just for fun. I am capable of safely dealing with
the high voltage. But I don't know enough to know if all the parts
will play nice with each other. I have also not built any tube or
valve gear using point to point wiring so a little advice about that
would be greatly appreciated. When it is all done the idea is to have
as much of the tube circuitry as possible exposed with the modern
microntroller stuff hidden away. I like tube stuff and exposed
machinery, always have.
I think a one tube scope with a hand wound xmfr could look pretty
cool sitting on a shelf near my tube amplifier.
Thanks All,
Eric

  #2   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 201
Default 'scope clock advice please

In article ,
wrote:

So, if I build the Mullard scope circuit will it drive the two
inch CRT I ordered seeing as how it was made to drive a 1 inch CRT?
And if that works will the Dutchtronix clock circuit work with the
Mullard scope and give me a nice looking display?


Maybe. :-)

In principle it ought to work, if you get the voltages correct. If
you don't, it'll either not work, or damage the CRT or something else.

Among the things you'll need to look at, in matching up the various
circuits and components, are;

- The required heater (filament) voltage and current for the CRT you
are using.
- The cathode, grid and deflection voltages for the CRT you are using.
- The voltages being created by the clock circuit (microprocessor)
and being fed to the X and Y inputs of the scope circuit

Read through the data sheet for the DH3-91 CRT that the circuit was
designed to work with (http://www.labguysworld.com/1CP1(db3-91).pdf)
and for the CRT you bought.

The physical size of the CRT doesn't matter very much (directly) but
a larger or different CRT may have different voltage or current
requirements.





  #3   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 907
Default 'scope clock advice please

On 2019/06/27 4:28 p.m., wrote:
Well, I've been gone for a month and this group is dead. So maybe
my questions will liven it up some. Or maybe everyone else is also on
vacation. I know, this is a repair group. But I will no doubt need to
repair whatever I build. And besides, I get better electronics advice
here, as in more of it and correct, than on the basics group.
While wasting some time on the computer while being on hold I came
across some small ocsilloscope CRTs, then looking for something to
light one of them up I saw some kits to make oscilloscope clocks. Only
34 bucks for the kit!
So I ordered a two inch CRT with electrostatic deflection. Here's a
link to the CRT I ordered:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5LO38I-Mini...f16e%7Ciid%3A1
Then on to ordering the kit. Hah! No dice. The kits are no longer
available. But I think I can still download the code for the
microcontrollers and the files for the circuit boards. Here is a link
to the page that the kit used to be available from:
http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClockH3-1-Enhanced.htm
The kit was also available from other sources but I can't find it
for sale anywhere. Darn. Maybe someone here bought one of these kits
and never built it and it is collecting dust. If so why not sell it to
me?
I also need to drive the CRT and I found a simple circuit called
the Mullard's Pupil Oscilloscope. Here's a link:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Mul...-Oscilloscope/
So, if I build the Mullard scope circuit will it drive the two
inch CRT I ordered seeing as how it was made to drive a 1 inch CRT?
And if that works will the Dutchtronix clock circuit work with the
Mullard scope and give me a nice looking display?
Look, this is just for fun. I am capable of safely dealing with
the high voltage. But I don't know enough to know if all the parts
will play nice with each other. I have also not built any tube or
valve gear using point to point wiring so a little advice about that
would be greatly appreciated. When it is all done the idea is to have
as much of the tube circuitry as possible exposed with the modern
microntroller stuff hidden away. I like tube stuff and exposed
machinery, always have.
I think a one tube scope with a hand wound xmfr could look pretty
cool sitting on a shelf near my tube amplifier.
Thanks All,
Eric


Looks like a fun project! Make some PCBs and offer them here, I'd
probably buy one just for fun. I've got a few 'scopes sitting around
that aren't doing anything useful...

As for the Mullard scope, it should work with a larger tube, you just
may have to raise the deflection voltage a bit. Find the specs on the
two tubes to see what the deflection differences are - if any!

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd.
MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,249
Default 'scope clock advice please

wrote:


I also need to drive the CRT and I found a simple circuit called
the Mullard's Pupil Oscilloscope. Here's a link:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mul...-Oscilloscope/





** No pics or diagram showing up for me.

Am I missing something?


..... Phil


  #5   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 207
Default 'scope clock advice please

On 28/06/2019 10:05 am, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:


I also need to drive the CRT and I found a simple circuit called
the Mullard's Pupil Oscilloscope. Here's a link:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mul...-Oscilloscope/





** No pics or diagram showing up for me.

Am I missing something?


.... Phil




Might pay to check around, comes up OK for me in Oz



  #6   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 488
Default 'scope clock advice please

On 28.06.19 4:05, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:


I also need to drive the CRT and I found a simple circuit called
the Mullard's Pupil Oscilloscope. Here's a link:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mul...-Oscilloscope/





** No pics or diagram showing up for me.

Am I missing something?


.... Phil



Loads fine here(Netherlands). Interesting circiut diagram.
Needs a few mods, if you dont want a 12v supply.
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,249
Default 'scope clock advice please

Sjouke Burry wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:


I also need to drive the CRT and I found a simple circuit called
the Mullard's Pupil Oscilloscope. Here's a link:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mul...-Oscilloscope/





** No pics or diagram showing up for me.

Am I missing something?




Loads fine here(Netherlands).


** Sites sometimes tell me I am using an "ad blocker" - which must be part of Windows 7 cos I never added one.

Could that be it ?


..... Phil
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,212
Default 'scope clock advice please

On 28/06/19 09:14, Phil Allison wrote:
Sjouke Burry wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:


I also need to drive the CRT and I found a simple circuit called
the Mullard's Pupil Oscilloscope. Here's a link:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mul...-Oscilloscope/





** No pics or diagram showing up for me.

Am I missing something?




Loads fine here(Netherlands).


** Sites sometimes tell me I am using an "ad blocker" - which must be part of Windows 7 cos I never added one.

Could that be it ?


.... Phil


I doubt it. I am using an adblocker and see the page without problem. I
don't know what browser you are using, but try using it with all add-ons
disabled ("Safe Mode" when using Firefox, for instance). If that allows
you to see the page, you have to go back to normal mode and switch each
off add-on in turn until you find the one which is stopping the page
from displaying.

--

Jeff
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,625
Default 'scope clock advice please

http://oscilloscopeclocknixiecrt.com/Kit.htm

https://makezine.com/2007/05/30/35-a...loscope-clock/

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 446
Default 'scope clock advice please

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 4:14:28 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
Sjouke Burry wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:


I also need to drive the CRT and I found a simple circuit called
the Mullard's Pupil Oscilloscope. Here's a link:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mul...-Oscilloscope/





** No pics or diagram showing up for me.

Am I missing something?




Loads fine here(Netherlands).


** Sites sometimes tell me I am using an "ad blocker" - which must be part of Windows 7 cos I never added one.

Could that be it ?


.... Phil



Odd.. You can try converting the web page to a .pdf right on line. If you can open this: https://webpagetopdf.com/ or one the many like it, input the instructables url and it will convert it to .pdf.


  #11   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 242
Default 'scope clock advice please

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oscilloscop...AOSw3dxbTim Z

  #12   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 907
Default 'scope clock advice please

On 2019/06/27 7:59 p.m., Rheilly Phoull wrote:
On 28/06/2019 10:05 am, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:


***** I also need to drive the CRT and I found a simple circuit called
the Mullard's Pupil Oscilloscope. Here's a link:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mul...-Oscilloscope/




** No pics or diagram showing up for me.

*** Am I missing something?


....** Phil



Might pay to check around, comes up OK for me in Oz


Works fine for me in Vancouver, BC...

Nice schematics with valves instead of tubes. Must be some furren idear.

John ;-#)#

  #13   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 73
Default 'scope clock advice please

On 28/06/2019 8:55 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 28/06/19 09:14, Phil Allison wrote:
Sjouke Burry wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:


****** I also need to drive the CRT and I found a simple circuit called
the Mullard's Pupil Oscilloscope. Here's a link:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mul...-Oscilloscope/





** No pics or diagram showing up for me.

**** Am I missing something?




Loads fine here(Netherlands).


** Sites sometimes tell me I am using an "ad blocker" - which must be part of Windows 7 cos I
never added one.

* Could that be it ?


....* Phil


I doubt it. I am using an adblocker and see the page without problem. I don't know what browser you
are using, but try using it with all add-ons disabled ("Safe Mode" when using Firefox, for
instance). If that allows you to see the page, you have to go back to normal mode and switch each
off add-on in turn until you find the one which is stopping the page from displaying.

Works fine here in NZ and I'm using an adblocker AND an anti-tracking add-on (Privacy Badger, I
recommend it highly) in Firefox, works in Chrome too.

--
Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification
in the DSM"
David Melville

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for viruses by any half-arsed self-promoting software.
  #14   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 125
Default 'scope clock advice please

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 7:05:37 PM UTC-7, Phil Allison wrote:

Am I missing something?


.... Phil

Based on all the successful responses, the answer is obviously "YES!"
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 907
Default 'scope clock advice please

On 2019/06/28 1:14 a.m., Phil Allison wrote:
Sjouke Burry wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:


I also need to drive the CRT and I found a simple circuit called
the Mullard's Pupil Oscilloscope. Here's a link:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mul...-Oscilloscope/





** No pics or diagram showing up for me.

Am I missing something?




Loads fine here(Netherlands).


** Sites sometimes tell me I am using an "ad blocker" - which must be part of Windows 7 cos I never added one.

Could that be it ?


..... Phil


Hi Phil,

I use this site when I'm not sure where the problem is:

https://isitdownorjust.me/

Hope that helps!

John :-#)#


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,163
Default 'scope clock advice please

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 16:53:56 -0700, (Dave
Platt) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

So, if I build the Mullard scope circuit will it drive the two
inch CRT I ordered seeing as how it was made to drive a 1 inch CRT?
And if that works will the Dutchtronix clock circuit work with the
Mullard scope and give me a nice looking display?


Maybe. :-)

In principle it ought to work, if you get the voltages correct. If
you don't, it'll either not work, or damage the CRT or something else.

Among the things you'll need to look at, in matching up the various
circuits and components, are;

- The required heater (filament) voltage and current for the CRT you
are using.
- The cathode, grid and deflection voltages for the CRT you are using.
- The voltages being created by the clock circuit (microprocessor)
and being fed to the X and Y inputs of the scope circuit

Read through the data sheet for the DH3-91 CRT that the circuit was
designed to work with (
http://www.labguysworld.com/1CP1(db3-91).pdf)
and for the CRT you bought.

The physical size of the CRT doesn't matter very much (directly) but
a larger or different CRT may have different voltage or current
requirements.




Thanks Dave. I downloaded the datasheet for the Mullard tube and I'll
compare it to my CRT when it arrives.
Eric

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #17   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,163
Default 'scope clock advice please

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 03:59:55 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

http://oscilloscopeclocknixiecrt.com/Kit.htm

https://makezine.com/2007/05/30/35-a...loscope-clock/

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA



I have seen both links. The top one charges $100.00 plus shipping for
the kit minus a CRT. I may go this route. The bottom link is to the
kit that is no longer available. But I can download the files for the
PC boards and the code for the microcontrollers. I did mention this in
my post.
Eric
  #18   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,163
Default 'scope clock advice please

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 16:06:50 +0100, Geo
wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oscilloscop...AOSw3dxbTim Z

Yeah, I saw that kit. $170.00 and he doesnt't even show a picture of
the clock display. It's too bad I didn't think about doing this a few
years ago when a board could be had for $34.00!
Eric
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Tektronix TDS 460 scope acquisition fault please Smeghead Electronics Repair 13 February 22nd 08 07:41 AM
HP1805A Dual Channel Scope plugin (100MHz) for 180 series scope Mike Electronics Repair 0 February 27th 07 04:47 AM
Shower advice please, please help Mickster UK diy 5 January 5th 05 06:18 PM
Advice on buying a tektronix TDS 544A scope Jim Yanik Electronics Repair 1 March 19th 04 03:11 PM
Scope advice needed Jeff Electronics Repair 10 November 18th 03 01:47 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"