Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 134
Default Denon AVR HDMI question

Neither Denon nor NVidia has been able to resolve a problem I have.
My system consists of a Linux Box running MPlayer through an
NVidia GeForce 610 video card. The HDMI output of the card
goes to the DVD input to a Denon AVR-3313CI receiver. The
output of the Denon goes to a 65" LG 4K oled display. The
resulting display on the LG is as if there is a serious interlace
mismatch.

If the HDMI signal goes directly to the LG the picture is perfect.

I have tried other NVidia cards, several versions of the 610 and
all show the same problem. Other NVidia cards such as the 210 and
710 do not show the interlace problem.

As with any receiver, I would expect the Denon would query the
display for its edid capability and forward that information to
any source connected to the Denon's input. Apparently not so.

For the time being I have put a 2-way HDMI splitter in the
line coming from the computer to the Denon. One output of
the splitter goes to the Denon while the other output
goes directly to the HDMI1 of the LG display. Simultaneously
the HDMI output of the Denon goes to HDMI2 of the LG.

This arrangement works, and nvidia-settings shows the display
characteristics are set by the LG, but Denon is mentioned in
the nvidia-settings output.

Starting with power off on all three components, I first
turn on the LG, then the Denon, then I boot the computer.
The computer runs 24/7 thereafter.

Could there be a simple solution for connecting the
components together which might correct the problem?

  #2   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 62
Default Denon AVR HDMI question

On 5/11/2019 2:41 PM, root wrote:
Neither Denon nor NVidia has been able to resolve a problem I have.
My system consists of a Linux Box running MPlayer through an
NVidia GeForce 610 video card. The HDMI output of the card
goes to the DVD input to a Denon AVR-3313CI receiver. The
output of the Denon goes to a 65" LG 4K oled display. The
resulting display on the LG is as if there is a serious interlace
mismatch.

If the HDMI signal goes directly to the LG the picture is perfect.

I have tried other NVidia cards, several versions of the 610 and
all show the same problem. Other NVidia cards such as the 210 and
710 do not show the interlace problem.

As with any receiver, I would expect the Denon would query the
display for its edid capability and forward that information to
any source connected to the Denon's input. Apparently not so.

For the time being I have put a 2-way HDMI splitter in the
line coming from the computer to the Denon. One output of
the splitter goes to the Denon while the other output
goes directly to the HDMI1 of the LG display. Simultaneously
the HDMI output of the Denon goes to HDMI2 of the LG.

This arrangement works, and nvidia-settings shows the display
characteristics are set by the LG, but Denon is mentioned in
the nvidia-settings output.

Starting with power off on all three components, I first
turn on the LG, then the Denon, then I boot the computer.
The computer runs 24/7 thereafter.

Could there be a simple solution for connecting the
components together which might correct the problem?


could it be that the signal going from the Denon to the television is
HDMI 1.4 and the signal out of the video card is HDMI 2.0?

".... the primary reason for the switch to HDMI 2.0 is that 4K Ultra HD
televisions require much more bandwidth to realize their full potential.
Since 4K Ultra HD is four times the resolution of 1080p, the former HD
standard, it requires more throughput to handle extra data going back
and forth. Lots more.

HDMI 1.4 supported 4K resolutions, yes, but only at 24 or 30 frames per
second (fps). That works fine for movies but isnt useful for gaming and
many TV broadcasts, which require 50 or 60 fps. Also, HDMI 1.4 limited
4K Ultra HD content to 8-bit color, though it is capable of 10- or
12-bit color. HDMI 2.0 fixed all of that because it could handle up to
18 gigabits per second plenty enough to allow for 12-bit color and
video up to 60 frames per second."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...t-is-hdmi-2-0/
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 134
Default Denon AVR HDMI question

Mike S wrote:

could it be that the signal going from the Denon to the television is
HDMI 1.4 and the signal out of the video card is HDMI 2.0?

".... the primary reason for the switch to HDMI 2.0 is that 4K Ultra HD
televisions require much more bandwidth to realize their full potential.
Since 4K Ultra HD is four times the resolution of 1080p, the former HD
standard, it requires more throughput to handle extra data going back
and forth. Lots more.

HDMI 1.4 supported 4K resolutions, yes, but only at 24 or 30 frames per
second (fps). That works fine for movies but isn???t useful for gaming and
many TV broadcasts, which require 50 or 60 fps. Also, HDMI 1.4 limited
4K Ultra HD content to 8-bit color, though it is capable of 10- or
12-bit color. HDMI 2.0 fixed all of that because it could handle up to
18 gigabits per second ??? plenty enough to allow for 12-bit color and
video up to 60 frames per second."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...t-is-hdmi-2-0/



Thanks for responding. I bought a replacement (identical) video card
and the problem was fixed. The Denon receiver specs do not indicate
whether it is 1.4 or 2.x, but it talks about 3D passthrough and
4K upconversion. I added a HDMI splitter in front of the receiver
so that one output goes to the receiver, and the other goes
directly to the TV. As I understand HDMI the source interrogates
the display and sends the appropriate output. The TV will respond
with its characteristics, but the receiver is not able to respond
because it has no output. At least that is how I figure it to
work. With this arrangement, and a new video card, the system
is working very well.
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 62
Default Denon AVR HDMI question

On 7/22/2019 7:07 AM, root wrote:
Mike S wrote:

could it be that the signal going from the Denon to the television is
HDMI 1.4 and the signal out of the video card is HDMI 2.0?

".... the primary reason for the switch to HDMI 2.0 is that 4K Ultra HD
televisions require much more bandwidth to realize their full potential.
Since 4K Ultra HD is four times the resolution of 1080p, the former HD
standard, it requires more throughput to handle extra data going back
and forth. Lots more.

HDMI 1.4 supported 4K resolutions, yes, but only at 24 or 30 frames per
second (fps). That works fine for movies but isn???t useful for gaming and
many TV broadcasts, which require 50 or 60 fps. Also, HDMI 1.4 limited
4K Ultra HD content to 8-bit color, though it is capable of 10- or
12-bit color. HDMI 2.0 fixed all of that because it could handle up to
18 gigabits per second ??? plenty enough to allow for 12-bit color and
video up to 60 frames per second."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...t-is-hdmi-2-0/



Thanks for responding. I bought a replacement (identical) video card
and the problem was fixed. The Denon receiver specs do not indicate
whether it is 1.4 or 2.x, but it talks about 3D passthrough and
4K upconversion. I added a HDMI splitter in front of the receiver
so that one output goes to the receiver, and the other goes
directly to the TV. As I understand HDMI the source interrogates
the display and sends the appropriate output. The TV will respond
with its characteristics, but the receiver is not able to respond
because it has no output. At least that is how I figure it to
work. With this arrangement, and a new video card, the system
is working very well.


Your analysis makes sense, glad you solved it.


  #5   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,375
Default Denon AVR HDMI question

On 11/05/2019 22:41, root wrote:
Neither Denon nor NVidia has been able to resolve a problem I have.
My system consists of a Linux Box running MPlayer through an
NVidia GeForce 610 video card. The HDMI output of the card
goes to the DVD input to a Denon AVR-3313CI receiver. The
output of the Denon goes to a 65" LG 4K oled display. The
resulting display on the LG is as if there is a serious interlace
mismatch.

If the HDMI signal goes directly to the LG the picture is perfect.

I have tried other NVidia cards, several versions of the 610 and
all show the same problem. Other NVidia cards such as the 210 and
710 do not show the interlace problem.


Forget the splitter. You need to connect....

PC - TV - Receiver.

One of your TV's HDMI inputs should be supporting ARC (Audio Return
Channel) - this will provide pass-through audio on all channels to the
receiver.

It's an interesting exercise to check all independent channel outputs
actually work from your PC mixer. With all HDMI it should be a breeze.

In my case as my own receiver doesn't support HDMI, I make do with the
optical output from my TV, sending audio to that over HDMI encoded as
Dolby Digital 5.1 using the A52 plugin.

https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/A52_plugin

Just mentioning but you definitely don't need that

--
Adrian C


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 134
Default Denon AVR HDMI question

Adrian Caspersz wrote:


Forget the splitter. You need to connect....

PC - TV - Receiver.

One of your TV's HDMI inputs should be supporting ARC (Audio Return
Channel) - this will provide pass-through audio on all channels to the
receiver.

It's an interesting exercise to check all independent channel outputs
actually work from your PC mixer. With all HDMI it should be a breeze.

In my case as my own receiver doesn't support HDMI, I make do with the
optical output from my TV, sending audio to that over HDMI encoded as
Dolby Digital 5.1 using the A52 plugin.

https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/A52_plugin

Just mentioning but you definitely don't need that


Thanks for responding. I found there is a significant delay in
the sound when the receiver is set to TV. Also the sound is
then stereo instead of 7.2 HDMI.
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,375
Default Denon AVR HDMI question

On 24/07/2019 15:14, root wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:


Forget the splitter. You need to connect....

PC - TV - Receiver.

One of your TV's HDMI inputs should be supporting ARC (Audio Return
Channel) - this will provide pass-through audio on all channels to the
receiver.

It's an interesting exercise to check all independent channel outputs
actually work from your PC mixer. With all HDMI it should be a breeze.

In my case as my own receiver doesn't support HDMI, I make do with the
optical output from my TV, sending audio to that over HDMI encoded as
Dolby Digital 5.1 using the A52 plugin.

https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/A52_plugin

Just mentioning but you definitely don't need that


Thanks for responding. I found there is a significant delay in
the sound when the receiver is set to TV.


That sounds like a delay function has been left active in the receiver,
that should be turned off. It may have been previously enabled, so that
sound and picture are in sync after the time taken for picture processing.

Also the sound is
then stereo instead of 7.2 HDMI.


https://www.techradar.com/news/hdmi-...hould-i-use-it

Looking at the table on the above page, that is from the use of
HDMI-ARC, and not HDMI-eARC.

Your TV needs to support HDMI 2.1 for that.

If you haven't got HDMI 2.1, I think your splitter implementation is
possibly more justified now!

--
Adrian C
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Denon AVR-1804 zone2 preout question. [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 August 31st 06 04:35 PM
NEW AVR ARCHIVE: http://avr.x.am UFO Joe Electronics Repair 3 May 18th 06 06:29 PM
NEW AVR Software Archive: http://avr.x.am UFO Joe Electronics Repair 0 April 25th 06 06:41 AM
Repair Manual / Parts for Denon AVR-900 Receiver (old) Gregory E. Rose Electronics Repair 0 December 6th 03 08:18 AM
Denon AVR-1601 Pete Electronics Repair 2 November 5th 03 11:33 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"