Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LED bulbs with illuminated switch

We have a half bathroom where the light switch is not quite behind the
door when it's open but not readily visible when one walks in, so we put
an illuminated switch there. That was fine with incandescent lamps and
even with 60W-equivalent LEDs, but we decided that the 60W LEDs were too
bright and installed 40W-equivalent LEDs in their place. Now the lamps
never totally extinguish but only dim to a a faint glow.

Any way of using both the illuminated switch and the 40W LEDs?

Perce
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote on 12/22/2017 6:04 PM:
We have a half bathroom where the light switch is not quite behind the door
when it's open but not readily visible when one walks in, so we put an
illuminated switch there. That was fine with incandescent lamps and even
with 60W-equivalent LEDs, but we decided that the 60W LEDs were too bright
and installed 40W-equivalent LEDs in their place. Now the lamps never
totally extinguish but only dim to a a faint glow.

Any way of using both the illuminated switch and the 40W LEDs?

Lol. I have the same thing. I put two LED cans in my bedroom ceiling along
with a pair of lighted dimmer switches. The lighted switch is just a neon
bulb across the switch which then conducts a small current when the switch
is open. This small current won't light an incandescent bulb, but will
light up an LED. So I have two night lights in my ceiling, lol

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The illuminated switch also presents a shock hazard for the same reason. The light socket is not totally dead when the switch is off.

Change the light switch out for a duplex style with a separately wired neon bulb, or a combination switch/outlet. Then plug in a night light.

It might take some hunting, but they are still available.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 3:04:50 PM UTC-8, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
We have a half bathroom where...we put
an illuminated switch there. That was fine with incandescent ...but we ...
installed 40W-equivalent LEDs in their place. Now the lamps
never totally extinguish but only dim to a a faint glow.

Any way of using both the illuminated switch and the 40W LEDs?

Well, sure; let it glow. There's no harm in that, is there?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 23 December 2017 02:17:07 UTC, whit3rd wrote:
On Friday, December 22, 2017 at 3:04:50 PM UTC-8, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
We have a half bathroom where...we put
an illuminated switch there. That was fine with incandescent ...but we ...
installed 40W-equivalent LEDs in their place. Now the lamps
never totally extinguish but only dim to a a faint glow.

Any way of using both the illuminated switch and the 40W LEDs?

Well, sure; let it glow. There's no harm in that, is there?

No. If wanted, add a suitable capacitor across the light socket to pass the slight current, plus a series R to limit peak current.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 22/12/2017 23:04, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
We have a half bathroom where the light switch is not quite behind the
door when it's open but not readily visible when one walks in, so we put
an illuminated switch there. That was fine with incandescent lamps and
even with 60W-equivalent LEDs, but we decided that the 60W LEDs were too
bright and installed 40W-equivalent LEDs in their place. Now the lamps
never totally extinguish but only dim to a a faint glow.

Any way of using both the illuminated switch and the 40W LEDs?

Perce

Can you increase the value of the neon dropper small enough to be
useable still, yet large enough to extinguish the LEDs when "off"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 23 December 2017 09:24:10 UTC, N_Cook wrote:
On 22/12/2017 23:04, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
We have a half bathroom where the light switch is not quite behind the
door when it's open but not readily visible when one walks in, so we put
an illuminated switch there. That was fine with incandescent lamps and
even with 60W-equivalent LEDs, but we decided that the 60W LEDs were too
bright and installed 40W-equivalent LEDs in their place. Now the lamps
never totally extinguish but only dim to a a faint glow.

Any way of using both the illuminated switch and the 40W LEDs?

Perce

Can you increase the value of the neon dropper small enough to be
useable still, yet large enough to extinguish the LEDs when "off"

No, LED lighting has higher efficacy than neon.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 4:32:55 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, 23 December 2017 09:24:10 UTC, N_Cook wrote:

Can you increase the value of the neon dropper small enough to be
useable still, yet large enough to extinguish the LEDs when "off"

No, LED lighting has higher efficacy than neon.

That reasoning is faulty. Neon lamps have a high impedance (large voltage drop),
and a 50V neon lamp in series with a 3V LED, with the same current,
could be one tenth the efficiency of the LED, it'd still be brighter.

Neither the neon, nor the LED, is linear.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 23 December 2017 21:33:07 UTC, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 4:32:55 AM UTC-8, tabby wrote:
On Saturday, 23 December 2017 09:24:10 UTC, N_Cook wrote:

Can you increase the value of the neon dropper small enough to be
useable still, yet large enough to extinguish the LEDs when "off"

No, LED lighting has higher efficacy than neon.

That reasoning is faulty. Neon lamps have a high impedance (large voltage drop),
and a 50V neon lamp in series with a 3V LED, with the same current,
could be one tenth the efficiency of the LED, it'd still be brighter.

Neither the neon, nor the LED, is linear.

That's not right. Mains LED lightbulbs do not run on 3v, they either transform mains to low V, in which case the LED will light, or they use a series RC PSU in which case it will glow too dim to notice.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 18:04:44 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

We have a half bathroom where the light switch is not quite behind the
door when it's open but not readily visible when one walks in, so we put
an illuminated switch there. That was fine with incandescent lamps and
even with 60W-equivalent LEDs, but we decided that the 60W LEDs were too
bright and installed 40W-equivalent LEDs in their place. Now the lamps
never totally extinguish but only dim to a a faint glow.

Any way of using both the illuminated switch and the 40W LEDs?

Perce

Are you using dimmable or non-dimmable LED bulbs?

That may make a difference.... (just a thought).