Old June 1st 17, 01:20 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Brother MDI-30/MDI-40/PDC-100

Hello, all. The above referenced ca. 1980s MIDI sequencers (termed
"Disk Composers" by Brother) all appear to use the same internal 3.5"
FDD. The spindle is belt rather than direct driven. I can't find any
specific belt info for these devices on line except for the FB-100
Brother drive which was intended for use with their line of knitting
machines. I have the MDI-30 and I think a 8.5" or 9" circumference flat
belt might work but if anyone can provide some additional detail it
would be most welcome. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

Old January 19th 18, 01:37 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

responding to
http://www.electrondepot.com/repair/...00-171199-.htm
, John Fanelli wrote:
arl_123234 wrote:

Hello, all. The above referenced ca. 1980s MIDI sequencers (termed
"Disk Composers" by Brother) all appear to use the same
internal 3.5"
FDD. The spindle is belt rather than direct driven. I can't find any
specific belt info for these devices on line except for the FB-100
Brother drive which was intended for use with their line of knitting
machines. I have the MDI-30 and I think a 8.5" or 9"
circumference flat
belt might work but if anyone can provide some additional detail it
would be most welcome. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

I just replaced the belt on a PDC-100. I got it from
https://www.turntableneedles.com. A 9.8" small square belt worked just fine -
their part # SBS9.8. Cost $5.

Old January 19th 18, 03:15 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

, John Fanelli wrote:
arl_123234 wrote:

Hello, all. The above referenced ca. 1980s MIDI sequencers (termed
"Disk Composers" by Brother) all appear to use the same
internal 3.5"
FDD. The spindle is belt rather than direct driven. I can't find any
specific belt info for these devices on line except for the FB-100
Brother drive which was intended for use with their line of knitting
machines. I have the MDI-30 and I think a 8.5" or 9"
circumference flat
belt might work but if anyone can provide some additional detail it
would be most welcome. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

I just replaced the belt on a PDC-100. I got it from
https://www.turntableneedles.com. A 9.8" small square belt worked just fine -
their part # SBS9.8. Cost $5.

I expect he's long gone. If not a stationery belt should do the job.

NT
Old January 19th 18, 08:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 01/18/2018 07:37 PM, John Fanelli wrote:

I just replaced the belt on a PDC-100. I got it from
https://www.turntableneedles.com. A 9.8" small square belt worked just
fine -
their part # SBS9.8. Cost $5.

Hello, and I was the OP on this. I subsequently solved my dilemma with
a replacement flat belt from Suburban Electronics. They have quite a
selection of these small drive belts and at very reasonable prices.
Shipping cost is somewhat less reasonable. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Old March 4th 19, 07:41 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hello, and I was the OP on this. I subsequently solved my dilemma with
a replacement flat belt from Suburban Electronics. They have quite a
selection of these small drive belts and at very reasonable prices.
Shipping cost is somewhat less reasonable. Sincerely,

JB,
why not replace the disk drive with one of these? ::

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=thumb+dri ve
++3.5"+floppy+drive+emulator%2Csimulator&_sacat=0& LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_od
kw=thumb+drive++3.5"+floppy+drive+%28emu

It eliminates the diskette altogether and instead you use a USB flash drive
“memory stick” to move songs to your computer.

These USB floppy drive replacements are drop-in, plug-in replacements with
apparently no fuss.

Old March 4th 19, 09:31 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 22:41:58 -0800, Spare Change
wrote:

Hello, and I was the OP on this. I subsequently solved my dilemma with
a replacement flat belt from Suburban Electronics. They have quite a
selection of these small drive belts and at very reasonable prices.
Shipping cost is somewhat less reasonable. Sincerely,

JB,
why not replace the disk drive with one of these? ::

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=thumb+dri ve
++3.5"+floppy+drive+emulator%2Csimulator&_sacat=0 &LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_od
kw=thumb+drive++3.5"+floppy+drive+%28emu

It eliminates the diskette altogether and instead you use a USB flash drive
memory stick to move songs to your computer.

These USB floppy drive replacements are drop-in, plug-in replacements with
apparently no fuss.

I have a "real" floppy drive that plugs into a USB port.
I needed it to install Windows Server 2003 on a Sunfire server.