Sean Keplinger

Default Projection TV Woes

I have a Hitachi Projection TV (55EX7K) that's about 11 years old. Recently,
black bars have been appearing at the top and bottom of the screen. When you
walk across the floor in front of the TV, the bars flicker and change size and
sometimes go away. After the TV "warms-up" for a while, the screen will return
to normal size without any further problems.

This morning, my wife said she heard a small "pop" and the picture displayed
briefly before going out and then flickering back on. I had her unplug the
whole thing completely, just to be safe.

Before I call a repair-man, is there anything I should check out? I realize
that the TV is getting on in years but if the repair is under $300, I'd like
to keep it.

Thanks for the help,
Sean
--
\___/ Sean Keplinger
|o,o| skeplin at one dot net
\/ ) http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com
----mm-----------------------------------
Art

Suggestion, unless you are deeply in love with this set put your monies on
newer technologies. Much has changed in the decade + since you have
purchased that particular set. Having it repaired can easily exceed the $300
limit that you have already set, just having a tech come out and eveluate
the set may cost you a service call fee plus actual time in the house.
"Sean Keplinger" wrote in message
I have a Hitachi Projection TV (55EX7K) that's about 11 years old.

Recently,
black bars have been appearing at the top and bottom of the screen. When

you
walk across the floor in front of the TV, the bars flicker and change size

and
sometimes go away. After the TV "warms-up" for a while, the screen will

return
to normal size without any further problems.

This morning, my wife said she heard a small "pop" and the picture

displayed
briefly before going out and then flickering back on. I had her unplug the
whole thing completely, just to be safe.

Before I call a repair-man, is there anything I should check out? I

realize
that the TV is getting on in years but if the repair is under $300, I'd

like
to keep it.

Thanks for the help,
Sean
--
\___/ Sean Keplinger
|o,o| skeplin at one dot net
\/ ) http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com
----mm-----------------------------------

Ken G.

By your description it just needs the vertical ic chip and areas
resoldered & probably a god idea to do a quick ESR check on a few
capacitors in the vert.
300$ to do that is robbery .. take the set to a shop where they are
reasonable around 75 to 100$ for that problem .
If you can solder you could do i yourself .
Cleaning the lenses & mirror would be a good idea while its apart .

john

Ken G ..
Boy are you out of touch.

kip

David

$75 to $100 for a projection set, in your dreams.
Given the size, looking at an in home service call, around $50 to the door,
plus around $125 labor plus parts typical. Well under $300 most of the time
for that type of failure. $75 to $100 is not even enough to stay in
business.

David

"Ken G." wrote in message
By your description it just needs the vertical ic chip and areas
resoldered & probably a god idea to do a quick ESR check on a few
capacitors in the vert.
300$ to do that is robbery .. take the set to a shop where they are
reasonable around 75 to 100$ for that problem .
If you can solder you could do i yourself .
Cleaning the lenses & mirror would be a good idea while its apart .

Leonard Caillouet

We have a couple of those here, too. Can't count the times that I have had
to go behind them and fix things that they just leave because they don't
have the skills, equipment, documentation, or will to deal with much more
than cold solder joints.

I have no problem with someone like this supplementing their income, but
when they have to do it by trying to make legitimate businesses look bad
with lies and half-truths, and when they make the profession look bad in
general, there is no justification.

Leonard

Subject: Projection TV Woes
From: "David"
Date: 7/28/04 1:04 AM
$75 to $100 for a projection set, in your dreams.
Given the size, looking at an in home service call, around $50 to the

door,
plus around $125 labor plus parts typical. Well under $300 most of the

time
for that type of failure. $75 to $100 is not even enough to stay in
business.

David

We have a guy like Ken in our area, who works out of his house, has an old

beat
up truck, crappy scope, decent meter (but nothing else), and lives in a

very
modest home. His wife makes excellent money and benefits (for both), and

he
has the nerve to call the professional shops crooks for charging $250 to

repair
big screen TVs. By now, between his using crappy generic parts and

blowing off
appointments, his reputation is crap. The problem is that this

unprofessional
guy is staining the whole profession by association.

John

Sean Keplinger

David wrote:

$75 to $100 for a projection set, in your dreams.
Given the size, looking at an in home service call, around $50 to the door,
plus around $125 labor plus parts typical. Well under $300 most of the time
for that type of failure. $75 to $100 is not even enough to stay in
business.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd rather not junk the TV as it was given to me
and I don't have $3000 to go blow on a new one. I'm confortable with spending
$200 on something that might last me for another few years.

I'm not by any means an electronics guru so I think soldering is out of the
question, but at least I understand what may be wrong with it. Last night, I
opened up the back panel to take a look and didn't see anything out of the
ordinary (blow caps, etc). The thick wires leading into the "caution high
voltage" part scared me a little. Didn't want to get my hand in there. ;^)

On a side-note, can anyone recommend a reliable projection TV repair shop in
Cincinnati?

Thanks!
Sean
--
\___/ Sean Keplinger
|o,o| skeplin at one dot net
\/ ) http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com
john

Call Ken G I am sure he will travel interstate for maybe just $5.00 MORE.

CNR

kip