Don Lancaster

Default Tek 2215 question

Every once in a while one of these comes up with a back panel singing
inductor that up-the-wall whines.

I tried everything reasonable involving damping the tuning fork like
shield, rubber mounts, etc.
Still could not get the noise acceptably low.

This is apparently a chronic problem that infects a significant number
of 2215's and probably 2213's as well.

Any cures or workarounds out there?

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Jeff W

AFAIK, there are no easy workarounds. As you probably are aware, Tek
came out with a retrofit kit that replaced the nasty triac prereg with
a TL594 based MOSFET prereg like in the later 2215A series. Actually,
the TL594 prereg is not that complex; I thought about building up a
small kit myself; but I would have to come up with one part that would
not be easy; the buck transformer. I have a couple of dead 2235's
around here; maybe someday I'll unwind one of those to see about
replicating them.

Jeff

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:58:33 -0700, Don Lancaster
wrote:

Every once in a while one of these comes up with a back panel singing
inductor that up-the-wall whines.

I tried everything reasonable involving damping the tuning fork like
shield, rubber mounts, etc.
Still could not get the noise acceptably low.

This is apparently a chronic problem that infects a significant number
of 2215's and probably 2213's as well.

Any cures or workarounds out there?

Jim Yanik

Don Lancaster wrote in :

Every once in a while one of these comes up with a back panel singing
inductor that up-the-wall whines.

I tried everything reasonable involving damping the tuning fork like
shield, rubber mounts, etc.
Still could not get the noise acceptably low.

This is apparently a chronic problem that infects a significant number
of 2215's and probably 2213's as well.

Any cures or workarounds out there?

Welll,the original TEK cure(mod) was to clip out the original Triac pre-reg
circuitry and install a separate pre-reg PCB based on a TL494 IC.(also
referred to as OPT.48) I have one of these in my 2213.

TEK also tried a rubber cushion,but it didn't work.

Maybe installing a different inductor would work.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik

Jeff W wrote in
:

wrote:

Every once in a while one of these comes up with a back panel singing
inductor that up-the-wall whines.

I tried everything reasonable involving damping the tuning fork like
shield, rubber mounts, etc.
Still could not get the noise acceptably low.

This is apparently a chronic problem that infects a significant number
of 2215's and probably 2213's as well.

Any cures or workarounds out there?

Or you could create a ordinary (60Hz)transformer based 43 volt DC supply to
replace the pre-reg.It would have to supply at least 1 amp at 43V,and would
only work for whatever primary voltage you selected for the XFMR,not the
90-250 VAC range of the Opt.48 pre-reg.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Sam Goldwasser

Jim Yanik writes:

Jeff W wrote in
:

wrote:

Every once in a while one of these comes up with a back panel singing
inductor that up-the-wall whines.

I tried everything reasonable involving damping the tuning fork like
shield, rubber mounts, etc.
Still could not get the noise acceptably low.

This is apparently a chronic problem that infects a significant number
of 2215's and probably 2213's as well.

Any cures or workarounds out there?

Or you could create a ordinary (60Hz)transformer based 43 volt DC supply to
replace the pre-reg.It would have to supply at least 1 amp at 43V,and would
only work for whatever primary voltage you selected for the XFMR,not the
90-250 VAC range of the Opt.48 pre-reg.

Or maybe just a commercial AC-DC 48 V brick adjusted down to 43 V or
dropped to 43 V.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Yanik wrote
(in ) about 'Tek 2215
question', on Tue, 17 Feb 2004:

Or you could create a ordinary (60Hz)transformer based 43 volt DC supply
to replace the pre-reg.It would have to supply at least 1 amp at 43V,and
would only work for whatever primary voltage you selected for the
XFMR,not the 90-250 VAC range of the Opt.48 pre-reg.

I have a small audio weighting filter, made by Dolby Laboratories, which
has a *linear* power supply covering 80 to 250 V without adjustment. It
has two small lamps in series with the transformer primary winding. But
that would be one crazy panel light if you did it with a 43 W output
linear supply!
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:28:22 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Jim Yanik
wrote in :

Or you could create a ordinary (60Hz)transformer based 43 volt DC supply to
replace the pre-reg.It would have to supply at least 1 amp at 43V,and would
only work for whatever primary voltage you selected for the XFMR,not the
90-250 VAC range of the Opt.48 pre-reg.

Its magnetic field might perhaps screw up the display.
Plastic spray worked on line output transformers in TV, not sure it is of
use here.
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Every once in a while one of these comes up with a back panel singing
inductor that up-the-wall whines.
I tried everything reasonable involving damping the tuning fork like
shield, rubber mounts, etc.

Have you considered active noise mitigation - bolt a voice coil to it
and inject a 180-degree-out-of-phase signal to damp the vibration?

Don Lancaster

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:

Every once in a while one of these comes up with a back panel singing
inductor that up-the-wall whines.
I tried everything reasonable involving damping the tuning fork like
shield, rubber mounts, etc.

Have you considered active noise mitigation - bolt a voice coil to it
and inject a 180-degree-out-of-phase signal to damp the vibration?

It makes more sense to sell the unit to a deaf person.

ACID QUESTION my_2¢ Metalworking 9 November 10th 03 04:22 PM
OT - Norstar 3x8 phone system question Ryan Metalworking 10 November 8th 03 10:10 AM
chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 05:41 AM
Pushfit plumbing question Lee Blaver UK diy 18 October 23rd 03 07:58 AM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM