Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Headphone socket on laptop?

Acer laptop with combo headphone/mic socket. The tip of a 3.5m stereo jack
has detached inside the socket and it's cutting off the speakers. If I put
the headphone jack with the missing tip back in the headphones work. It was
either a poor quality plug or the socket gripped the plug so tightly it
pulled the tip off. Problem now is getting the tip out of the socket
without damaging it.
This is not an easy laptop to dismantle, I recently fitted an SSD and it was
awkward work. Been wondering if I put a dab of superglue on the end of the
plug, push it in the socket, leave it for a while to set then pull it out
will it bring the detached part out with it? An obvious pitfall is that the
whole plug would then become lodged in the socket!
Any ideas anyone?

Kenny Cargill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 22/01/2016 10:25, Kenny wrote:
[...]

Superglue in tight spots , goes where it wants to go, not where you want
it to go. Find the utube video of dismantling it , enough to get a
needle or something in there to prize it out, from inside the laptop
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Please learn to properly cross post, rather than multi posting.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I suggest :

Laptop off , put another socket inside the plug (a "normal" one).

Since the plug is endless, the tip of the other will fall somewhere in
the laptop.

Then open and pick it up.

Kenny a écrit :
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Kenny a écrit :
[...]

I dunno, I have seen quite a few with closed backs. But that is a good idea if it is not. And with your method, if it works, it is VERY important to find the end and not have it rolling around in there. Hopefuly the construction of the thing will allow that.

If it is closed back, if that can be accessed it might be possible to melt a hole in it and then use a paperclip to push the piece out. In fact I think the paperclip would be used to make the hole as well.

I remember people breaking off an RCA plug in their TV and with the open back jacks would just push another plug in it, and it would work. However, once the thing gets moved it can travel and short something out if it didn't right away. Saw a $300 signal board turned into scrap over that.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The m/b would have to be completely removed to even see what type of socket
it is. Using a pin I was able to slightly move the tip inside the socket
and I have sound again from laptop speakers, can't get a grip on it with
tweezers to pull it out though. At least I now have sound but can't use
headphones or mic. Don't think the idea of pushing another plug in would be
advisable since I can't see the upper side of socket and even if it did work
the broken bit would be trapped between m/b and casing.

Kenny

Kenny

Kenny a écrit :
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://goo.gl/vWyckv
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tried twice with the glue idea, once using original plug and again using
cotton bud with cotton removed, neither worked. Opened laptop, socket is
closed type so I used a rotary multi-tool with mill attachment to remove
part of back and top then was able to push it out towards the front.

Kenny

om...

Kenny a écrit :
[...]

3.5mm stereo headphone socket that isn't. Gareth Magennis Electronics Repair 29 February 28th 14 01:42 AM
Headphone socket Manticore UK diy 7 February 14th 11 10:34 AM
How can I increasing output voltage/amplify my laptop's soundcard headphone jack. Tia sal2 z Electronics 4 November 7th 08 12:09 PM
malfunctioning headphone jack, hp laptop Jess Electronics Repair 4 December 13th 05 07:38 PM
Adding Headphone socket to TV Michael Murray UK diy 29 September 10th 03 12:28 AM