Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Headphone socket

I have a Marshall MG30FDX guitar amp that has a suspect headphone socket and
believe me, for the sanity of my wife and our neighbours, I _need_ the
headphone socket to work! :-)

I'm not into electronics at all and don't have the necessary equipment to
de-solder the existing socket from the pcb and install a new one, but
luckily a friend of mine does, so he's going to do it for me. As I live
within walking distance of CPC, I was just going to get one from there but
it's not the sort of place where you can go in and ask advice easily. It's
more like Argos and Screwfix where you pick stuff from a catalogue first
then go to the counter with catalogue numbers, so when I searched the
website and it came back with more than a dozen results, I'm lost.

I've opened the case and it physically looks like this one, but switched?
unswitched? I'm assuming switched because as you plug in the headphones, it
cuts out the speaker but I'd be happier if someone could confirm it.
http://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/nmj6h...ose/dp/AV11183

The schematic for the amp, if you need it, is here
http://www.amparchives.com/Amp%20Arc...%20MG30DFX.pdf

or http://tinyurl.com/46enmwj if the above doesn't work.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Manticore wrote:
[...]

Switched is what's needed. The one you found in the catalogue will do
the job. The only problem might be if it's PCB mounted, in which case
you'll need to check that the spacings match.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Manticore wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much John. Yes, it is PCB mounted so thanks for pointing out the
spacings thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2011 18:12, Manticore wrote:
[...]

While you are in CPC look in the book for switch cleaner and spray that
down the socket and on the guitar plug, insert it and remove several
times and see it this solves your problem (I am assuming crackle and
hiss here.)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Close, but that is designed for wire termination not a PCB. Hence you
will probably need:

http://cpc.farnell.com/cliff-electro...pcb/dp/AV10587

or possibly:

http://cpc.farnell.com/cliff-electro...ono/dp/CN02461

The schematic for the amp, if you need it, is here
http://www.amparchives.com/Amp%20Arc...%20MG30DFX.pdf

or http://tinyurl.com/46enmwj if the above doesn't work.

Ah, right, thanks very much John, the first one you linked to looks like the
very beastie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
[...]

Crackle and hiss it is indeed Dave so a good suggestion. I'll get a socket
just in case but will try the cleaner as the easiest option first. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Manticore" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
[...]

Since it's a switched socket virtually anything (long enough and will fit in
the hole) will disconnect the speaker (non-conducting of course).
Is your crackle and hiss therefore in the headphones? Give it (and the jack)
a spray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om, brass
monkey writes

"Manticore" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
[...]

http://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/nmj6h...switched-full-
nose/dp/AV11183

The schematic for the amp, if you need it, is here

http://www.amparchives.com/Amp%20Arc...matics%20&%20L
ayouts/MG%20Schematics/Marshall%20MG30DFX.pdf

or http://tinyurl.com/46enmwj if the above doesn't work.

TIA

While you are in CPC look in the book for switch cleaner and spray
that down the socket and on the guitar plug, insert it and remove
several times and see it this solves your problem (I am assuming
crackle and hiss here.)

Dave

Crackle and hiss it is indeed Dave so a good suggestion. I'll get a socket
just in case but will try the cleaner as the easiest option first. Thanks.

Since it's a switched socket virtually anything (long enough and will fit in
the hole) will disconnect the speaker (non-conducting of course).
Is your crackle and hiss therefore in the headphones? Give it (and the jack)
a spray.

When I was heavily into guitar amps and could still lift one, I hated
that sort of socket. British amps had rigid pcb's that broke when you
dropped the amp and hopeless jack sockets.
American amps like Fender had cardboard-like bendy boards and sockets
like
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/mo...cpc/256643.xml
which had much better spring tension and any dirt could be seen and
washed away.

I know Neutrik are a good make, but I still hate those plastic enclosed
jack sockets. I have some EchoAudio computer soundcards that use strange
double decker enclosed jack sockets and they are terrible when asked to
cope with the normal variations in the shape of jack plugs.
--
Bill