Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #141   Report Post  
Old September 22nd 15, 11:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2012
Posts: 214
Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's beingtested?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:37:03 -0400, Mayayana wrote:

It's the difference between *maybe* risking their
bonus and definitely risking years in jail.


I must agree, unfortunately.

At this point, we don't know WHO was involved.

Please post when anyone finds out WHO the guilty PEOPLE were.


  #142   Report Post  
Old September 22nd 15, 11:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2012
Posts: 214
Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's beingtested?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 16:04:25 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The Justice Department reached an agreement
with GM over the faulty ignition switches. Prosecution
is deferred and the GM execs promise to be goodie two
shoes. http://preview.alturl.com/ctzff Over 100
people died.
I don't think Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy
are running the Justice Department.


You have to keep in mind that there are DIFFERENT laws when
safety is involved (NHTSA) versus the environment (EPA).

The NY Times, I think it was, discussed the difference, which
essentially said that the EPA actually has more power to fine
them than does the NHTSA.

We should look up the details, but, my point is that the laws
and maximum penalties are totally DIFFERENT for safety violations
versus emissions violations.

Inexplicably, the emissions violation laws appear (at first
inspection) to be more stringent.

Go figure.

  #143   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 15, 12:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2012
Posts: 214
Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's beingtested?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:32:46 -0400, Mayayana wrote:

I'd forgotten about the GM issue. It's hardly
surprising these things happen when the executives
in charge have no liability. Even the companies
often find the deals to be profitable. If a company
cuts corners to save $100 million and gets fined
$20 million, with no arrests, then that seems to be
a good business plan.


Again, let's remember the laws and maximum fines are very
DIFFERENT for emissions laws versus for safety laws.

Different laws.
Different agencies.
Different penalties.

You could be arguing that we should make the laws more consistent
between SAFETY violations and EMISSIONS violations; but the fact
is they are very different - so - you can't really compare them
that way and be fair.



  #144   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 15, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,554
Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:32:46 -0500, Mayayana
wrote:

| The Justice Department reached an agreement
| with GM over the faulty ignition switches. Prosecution
| is deferred and the GM execs promise to be goodie two
| shoes. http://preview.alturl.com/ctzff Over 100
| people died.
| I don't think Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy
| are running the Justice Department.
|

I'd forgotten about the GM issue. It's hardly
surprising these things happen when the executives
in charge have no liability. Even the companies
often find the deals to be profitable. If a company
cuts corners to save $100 million and gets fined
$20 million, with no arrests, then that seems to be
a good business plan.


My dad had a 1976 Chevy pickup. It was one of those
with the gas tank outside of the rails. GM was supposed to
allow an extra $1000 as trade in value as part of a settlement
with the government. That deal smelled bad from the
beginning.


--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
  #145   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 15, 02:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 539
Default EPA full of ****, VW was not cheating!

On 9/18/2015 8:19 PM, Ewald Bhm asked:
My question is HOW did the car *know* it was being *tested* for emissions?


From the NY Times: "The software could silently deduce that an inspection
was taking place based on the position of the steering wheel (cars hooked
up to emissions meters dont make turns), the speed of the vehicle, how
long the engine had been running and barometric pressure."

Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).


  #146   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 15, 02:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,362
Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 00:19:10 +0000 (UTC), Ewald Böhm
wrote:

Apparently Volkswagen/Audi cheated on the USA emissions tests since
2009 to 2015 by turning off the EGR to lower nitrogen oxide emissions
ONLY when the car was being tested for emissions.

REFERENCES:
http://blog.ucsusa.org/volkswagen-ca...cle-recall-887
http://www.engineering.com/AdvancedM...EPA-Tests.aspx
http://hothardware.com/news/vw-inten...-482k-vehicles
etc.

My question is HOW did the car *know* it was being *tested* for emissions?


The most important thing here is that puts an end to those incessant
and tasteless TDI ads on TV, with those offensive dirty old women.
Good.
  #147   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 15, 02:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,660
Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

On 9/22/2015 8:15 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

My dad had a 1976 Chevy pickup. It was one of those
with the gas tank outside of the rails. GM was supposed to
allow an extra $1000 as trade in value as part of a settlement
with the government. That deal smelled bad from the
beginning.


GM's answer to any problem was always to buy a new one. I no longer
drive GM cars and the associated problems.
  #148   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 15, 02:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,586
Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 00:19:10 +0000 (UTC), Ewald Böhm
wrote:

Apparently Volkswagen/Audi cheated on the USA emissions tests since
2009 to 2015 by turning off the EGR to lower nitrogen oxide emissions
ONLY when the car was being tested for emissions.

REFERENCES:
http://blog.ucsusa.org/volkswagen-ca...cle-recall-887
http://www.engineering.com/AdvancedM...EPA-Tests.aspx
http://hothardware.com/news/vw-inten...-482k-vehicles
etc.

My question is HOW did the car *know* it was being *tested* for emissions?


The most important thing here is that puts an end to those incessant
and tasteless TDI ads on TV, with those offensive dirty old women.
Good.

There may be others cheating too, just not caught yet.
Big corp. mentality like VW cheating. They should be fined $$$
as an example and top guy should do some jail time as well.
VW chief said, "we screwed up" So they intentionally cheated.

  #149   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 15, 03:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,362
Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:52:57 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 00:19:10 +0000 (UTC), Ewald Böhm
wrote:

Apparently Volkswagen/Audi cheated on the USA emissions tests since
2009 to 2015 by turning off the EGR to lower nitrogen oxide emissions
ONLY when the car was being tested for emissions.

REFERENCES:
http://blog.ucsusa.org/volkswagen-ca...cle-recall-887
http://www.engineering.com/AdvancedM...EPA-Tests.aspx
http://hothardware.com/news/vw-inten...-482k-vehicles
etc.

My question is HOW did the car *know* it was being *tested* for emissions?


The most important thing here is that puts an end to those incessant
and tasteless TDI ads on TV, with those offensive dirty old women.
Good.

There may be others cheating too, just not caught yet.
Big corp. mentality like VW cheating. They should be fined $$$
as an example and top guy should do some jail time as well.
VW chief said, "we screwed up" So they intentionally cheated.


Yeah, those disgusting ads on TV should have been a clue that VW was
an immoral company. A thorough investigation is necessary.
When the congressional Benghazi committee wraps it up in the next
10-12 years, they should take this up.
They'll get to the bottom of it.
  #150   Report Post  
Old September 23rd 15, 03:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,660
Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

On 9/22/2015 9:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:


There may be others cheating too, just not caught yet.
Big corp. mentality like VW cheating. They should be fined $$$
as an example and top guy should do some jail time as well.
VW chief said, "we screwed up" So they intentionally cheated.


I cannot imagine a big corporation intentionally doing something like
that and figure they would not get caught. Too many people work on
projects like that and superiors have to sign off. The cost t fix it is
in the billions and for what?


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheating Contractors Twice Retired Home Repair 26 October 4th 08 12:57 AM
Cheating Contractors Twice Retired Home Ownership 0 October 1st 08 10:38 AM
How to find out if your boyfriend is cheating [email protected] UK diy 6 December 10th 06 11:03 PM
How to find out if your boyfriend is cheating [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 8th 06 02:30 AM
Cheating at dovetail jointery Tom H Woodworking 6 November 6th 05 09:47 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017