Old October 1st 08, 10:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheating Contractors

It always amazing me as to what contractors of all types will try to get
away with. They go to extremes in order to bypass codes and inspections. In
many cases their violations are a danger to the life/safety of people,
especially children, and domestic animals.
There is a swimming pool contractor in the area that has been violating the
construction codes and bypasses the final inspection by never calling for an
inspection and letting the permit expire. I learned of this when he did a
job for a neighbor and I viewed his installation and there were many code
violations. I photographed the visible violations and delivered copies to
the county inspection department. The inspector informed me that there had
been no inspection. The inspector came out, as a courtesy to me as the
permit holder had not called, and verified the violations. That’s all it
took. My neighbor’s system was extensively re-worked and is now code
compliant.
The county has now gone into their closed files to find the jobs where no
inspection was called. It appears that there may be upwards of 17 instances
of letting the permit expire without performing the inspection. The county
is taking action.
I have reviewed my neighbor’s system before and after corrections and the
interesting fact to me is that if the system was installed in accordance
with the code to begin with, the actual material/labor cost would have been
slightly less than the violation installation. Go figure!
If you have a job performed, be certain that there is an inspection that
ascertains that the installation complies with local codes/ordinances.

Old October 1st 08, 12:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Twice Retired" wrote in message
[...]

There are shady people doing business in every field that exists. You, as an
individual must take responsibility, and be your own advocate, regardless if
it's a trip to the dentist, or buying a swimming pool. Unfortunately, in our
over-regulated society, we're being brought up to believe that "others" are
responsible for our well being, that if I can stick my fingers in the fan
blade, someone didn't build it right, that if I manage to fall off of my
ladder, it's the manufacturer's fault. How does someone have construction
done, of the magnitude that the taxes on the real property will increase,
like a swimming pool, and not get the particulars from whatever local,
county, or state agency is in charge? Yes, there are plenty of thieves out
there, but it sounds like these folks invited them in, and opened the safe

Old October 1st 08, 12:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I frequently meet customers who tell me up front that they don't want
permits or inspections on any work being done. I actually have to sell them
on the virtues of having a third party inspect the work.

Old October 1st 08, 01:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Twice Retired wrote:

It always amazing me as to what contractors of all types will try to get
away with. They go to extremes in order to bypass codes and inspections.

(snip)
Sometimes it's too easy:

Ten years ago, a builder put up three large homes on adjacent lots near me.
It appears that all three were sold either before construction began, or
soon after. Work proceeded on all three in parallel until the buildings
were weatherproof: roofing, siding, doors and windows installed. Then the
builder declared bankruptcy and walked away.

There are no sewers on the street (the several existing homes have septic).
Since a septic system is no longer allowed in new construction, these homes
are uninhabitable. The owners had long and totally unproductive
discussions with the city about extending sewers to this street. Now the
homes stand unfinished and abandoned.

I don't know whether the builder got permits or not. Either way, three
homeowners saw their dreams turn into a nightmare.

Old October 1st 08, 05:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:12*pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 1, 4:39*am, "Twice Retired" wrote:

[...]

People dont realise that pulling a permit is buying cheap insurance,
you get a free inspection, and you can write a contract to not pay
till it passes inspection. People see permits as a tax and pain in the
ass, in reality permits are the only reason houses are still standing,
Look at Chinas massive building failures because of the earthquake,
not only did the government ignore Melamine poisoning its always
ignored construction issues.- Hide quoted text -

Yes apparently the Chines populace themselves nicknamed some of the
too readily collapsed schools "Tofu buildings" because they were built
on the cheap with allegations of corruption and pay-backs! Whereas
'Party Buildings' were/are unduly luxurious or well built.

Pity isn't it. A GOOD contractor will hardly get a mention; even if
they were to go out of their way to absorb some of or all of a
condition that no one knew about beforehand.

Yes (not often) but there are such highly ethical plus people; the
sort who say "We found a bit of rot while were in there working
anyway, so fixed it up for you. It's OK now. No extra charge".

Also unbiased government involvement seems to be necessary in any
society (even if the government itself) contracts or licences others
to do the actual work. You cannot just say "Any government is too much
government".

You can't have companies making fireworks that go off if you pick them
up by hand, cars where the wheels fall off, bread or milk that
poisons people or clothing that contaminates peoples skins, or roof
trusses that collapse at the first rain! There have to be standards,
even minimum ones.

Many European countries seem to be getting the balance between
government and private enterprise right. Possibly why so , many new
countries are trying to join the EU?

For example: There is currently a a major fuss in our country because
of an outbreak of Listeriosis contaminated food from meat packing
which has caused deaths.

This is occurring during our election following a government that has
reduced the numbers of an already understaffed food inspection
division. At very least we know who to blame; not that restores anyone
to life! Either false government economy or too much industry lobbying
to allow looser standards maybe?
Old October 1st 08, 06:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

So let me see if I got this right. You took it upon yourself to sic the
government on your neighbor, trespass his property, put him at risk for
having to pay another contractor to bring the project up to code (he not the
contractor is liable, you know) .... and you're so proud of your behavior
that you publish it here for all the world to see?

If you had done that to me, I'd probably poke you in the nose....

Old October 1st 08, 07:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Reggie Dunlop" [email protected] wrote in message
. ..

[...]

You're not very bright. My neighbor asks for my assistance in many ways, the
pool being just one. Screw around in this area and you'll be carried out.

Old October 1st 08, 07:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

BTW the county inspection department forced the pool installer to correct
all deficiencies w/o cost to the owners of any of the properties.