Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheating Contractors

It always amazing me as to what contractors of all types will try to get
away with. They go to extremes in order to bypass codes and inspections. In
many cases their violations are a danger to the life/safety of people,
especially children, and domestic animals.
There is a swimming pool contractor in the area that has been violating the
construction codes and bypasses the final inspection by never calling for an
inspection and letting the permit expire. I learned of this when he did a
job for a neighbor and I viewed his installation and there were many code
violations. I photographed the visible violations and delivered copies to
the county inspection department. The inspector informed me that there had
been no inspection. The inspector came out, as a courtesy to me as the
permit holder had not called, and verified the violations. That’s all it
took. My neighbor’s system was extensively re-worked and is now code
compliant.
The county has now gone into their closed files to find the jobs where no
inspection was called. It appears that there may be upwards of 17 instances
of letting the permit expire without performing the inspection. The county
is taking action.
I have reviewed my neighbor’s system before and after corrections and the
interesting fact to me is that if the system was installed in accordance
with the code to begin with, the actual material/labor cost would have been
slightly less than the violation installation. Go figure!
If you have a job performed, be certain that there is an inspection that
ascertains that the installation complies with local codes/ordinances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twice Retired" wrote in message
[...]

There are shady people doing business in every field that exists. You, as an
individual must take responsibility, and be your own advocate, regardless if
it's a trip to the dentist, or buying a swimming pool. Unfortunately, in our
over-regulated society, we're being brought up to believe that "others" are
responsible for our well being, that if I can stick my fingers in the fan
blade, someone didn't build it right, that if I manage to fall off of my
ladder, it's the manufacturer's fault. How does someone have construction
done, of the magnitude that the taxes on the real property will increase,
like a swimming pool, and not get the particulars from whatever local,
county, or state agency is in charge? Yes, there are plenty of thieves out
there, but it sounds like these folks invited them in, and opened the safe

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I frequently meet customers who tell me up front that they don't want
permits or inspections on any work being done. I actually have to sell them
on the virtues of having a third party inspect the work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twice Retired wrote:

It always amazing me as to what contractors of all types will try to get
away with. They go to extremes in order to bypass codes and inspections.

(snip)
Sometimes it's too easy:

Ten years ago, a builder put up three large homes on adjacent lots near me.
It appears that all three were sold either before construction began, or
soon after. Work proceeded on all three in parallel until the buildings
were weatherproof: roofing, siding, doors and windows installed. Then the
builder declared bankruptcy and walked away.

There are no sewers on the street (the several existing homes have septic).
Since a septic system is no longer allowed in new construction, these homes
are uninhabitable. The owners had long and totally unproductive
discussions with the city about extending sewers to this street. Now the
homes stand unfinished and abandoned.

I don't know whether the builder got permits or not. Either way, three
homeowners saw their dreams turn into a nightmare.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:12*pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 1, 4:39*am, "Twice Retired" wrote:

[...]

People dont realise that pulling a permit is buying cheap insurance,
you get a free inspection, and you can write a contract to not pay
till it passes inspection. People see permits as a tax and pain in the
ass, in reality permits are the only reason houses are still standing,
Look at Chinas massive building failures because of the earthquake,
not only did the government ignore Melamine poisoning its always
ignored construction issues.- Hide quoted text -

Yes apparently the Chines populace themselves nicknamed some of the
too readily collapsed schools "Tofu buildings" because they were built
on the cheap with allegations of corruption and pay-backs! Whereas
'Party Buildings' were/are unduly luxurious or well built.

Pity isn't it. A GOOD contractor will hardly get a mention; even if
they were to go out of their way to absorb some of or all of a
condition that no one knew about beforehand.

Yes (not often) but there are such highly ethical plus people; the
sort who say "We found a bit of rot while were in there working
anyway, so fixed it up for you. It's OK now. No extra charge".

Also unbiased government involvement seems to be necessary in any
society (even if the government itself) contracts or licences others
to do the actual work. You cannot just say "Any government is too much
government".

You can't have companies making fireworks that go off if you pick them
up by hand, cars where the wheels fall off, bread or milk that
poisons people or clothing that contaminates peoples skins, or roof
trusses that collapse at the first rain! There have to be standards,
even minimum ones.

Many European countries seem to be getting the balance between
government and private enterprise right. Possibly why so , many new
countries are trying to join the EU?

For example: There is currently a a major fuss in our country because
of an outbreak of Listeriosis contaminated food from meat packing
which has caused deaths.

This is occurring during our election following a government that has
reduced the numbers of an already understaffed food inspection
division. At very least we know who to blame; not that restores anyone
to life! Either false government economy or too much industry lobbying
to allow looser standards maybe?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

So let me see if I got this right. You took it upon yourself to sic the
government on your neighbor, trespass his property, put him at risk for
having to pay another contractor to bring the project up to code (he not the
contractor is liable, you know) .... and you're so proud of your behavior
that you publish it here for all the world to see?

If you had done that to me, I'd probably poke you in the nose....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reggie Dunlop" slap@shot wrote in message
. ..

[...]

You're not very bright. My neighbor asks for my assistance in many ways, the
pool being just one. Screw around in this area and you'll be carried out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

BTW the county inspection department forced the pool installer to correct
all deficiencies w/o cost to the owners of any of the properties.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Carried out? Not by you little girl...and perhaps if you'd mentioned in your
OP that your neighbor had asked you for your help.....

And BTW, crooked contractors routinely bankrupt themselves every 3-6 months
leaving an empty corporate shell that no one-- gov't bodies included-- can
come back on and "force" to do anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twice Retired wrote:
[...]

SO IT WAS YOU! YOU DARN SNITCH! THOSE PESKY INSPECTORS WILL BE CRAWLING
ALL OVER THE DANG BLASTED JOB!

Inspectors around here are actually not that hard to work with if you
just follow the code and standards. Sometimes a municipality will have
a little different standards than a national code book so we don't
argue with them and everything works out. I have a job going on right
now where I have to move old equipment and install new. It's not just
inspectors we have to deal with, it's all the other guys doing different
things for the project.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

: lid (Bryce)
Twice Retired wrote:
[...]

----------------------------------

I don't think you know WTF you're talking about.. In a later post you
say they were built W/O permits. You wouldn't be able to build a house
anywhere in the socialist USA these days.. So, try again.

Why would septic no longer be allowed. They don't have a public system
according to you...Something doesn't smell right. Do you make things up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
Inspectors around here are actually not that hard to work with if you
just follow the code and standards. Sometimes a municipality will have
a little different standards than a national code book so we don't
argue with them and everything works out. I have a job going on right
now where I have to move old equipment and install new. It's not just
inspectors we have to deal with, it's all the other guys doing different
things for the project.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Most inspectors are OK and they know the contractors that will try to get by
and the ones that will follow the code all the time. There are always a few
inspectors that are on a power trip and like being a PITA, especially to the
homeowner. Of course, some of them deserve the hard time too.

I've seen inspections done over the phone and I've seen some not done at
all. You find good and bad everywhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:52:08 -0400, Bryce
wrote:

There are no sewers on the street (the several existing homes have
septic).
Since a septic system is no longer allowed in new construction, these
homes
are uninhabitable. The owners had long and totally unproductive
discussions with the city about extending sewers to this street. Now the
homes stand unfinished and abandoned.

How did they ever get permitting without a plan for the septic or
sewer?That usually happens before you can even submit your building
plan, in the zoning process.

Can yew spell troll?

I knew yew could.

Every place I have lived, the project would have been red tagged before the
foundation was poured. There is a sequence of things, one of them being the
inspection process. "Homes" are not built without each stage being
inspected and okayed. And that starts with the dirt.

Someone has been smoking too much ganja.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Lemmee see if I understand this ..........

The people were too stupid to do it right the first time, so the homeowner
let them try it again?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reggie Dunlop" slap@shot wrote in message
. ..

Reggie named for the "Becker" character? Sounds like a real good neighbor
who lived about a half mile up the road. Hated everybody, wouldn't assist a
blind woman to cross the street, suspicious of everyone in the neighborhood,
peeked out from behind the curtains at the neighborhood, called the cops
about kids waiting for the school bus, put out poison for area dogs. And
those were just some of her good points. She actually had been busted for
growing pot. The folks in the area tried to humor her as long as she wasn't
destructive. She had to have everything explained to her in minute detail as
she had no cognizant ability to understand other than exactly what she was
told. There are a couple of us who tried to help her by cutting her grass,
painting the trim on her home, and my wife, and Fred's wife, actually would
drive her to grocery and doctor. She moved to FL about 2 years ago.
Reggie sounds like the same person. Don't ever assist anyone and be
suspicious of everybody and their intent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Neil Phillips" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0016462/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

:
lid (Bryce)
Twice Retired wrote:
[...]

Nope. It's hard to believe but true. The county auditor's property
records are available at

http://auditor.cuyahogacounty.us/repi/default.asp

and the three homes are 2541, 2543, 2545 Hilltop in Richmond Heights (OH).
Have a look at market values for previous years under the tax/cert values
tab. You'll see big decreases, the latest probably about right for a
home that's completely unfinished inside.

2541 and 2543 are listed as sewer = SP, 2545 shows sewer = none. EPA
does not allow septic in new construction in this area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 04:39:44 -0500, "Twice Retired"
wrote:

[...]

If I were your neighbor I'd come over there and stomp the living ****
out of your snitching little ass, but then that's just me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nah, you're just another snivellin, cheat. You are the kind who screws their
neighbor instead of helping them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Crank up Google Maps and search for 2541 Hilltop Road, Richmond Hts, OH.
Click on satellite and zoom in for a look at these homes as they are now.
No landscaping, no driveways, no people. Not visible in the photo: no
sewers.

Unbelievable but true.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, but I'm with the group that figures if you're too stupid to be able
to handle a project, you should opt out.

Neighbor or no.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yep, I will admit, some of the group are pretty stupid. No questions were
asked, only irrational judgments made.
1. My neighbor asked me to look at the installation as even he had some
doubts.
2. Conversations with the county inspection department revealed that this
pool builder had discovered a flaw in the inspection system.
3. The flaw was, if no inspection was called the permit expired in 6 months
with no further action.
4. The county searched records for 5 years, their record limit, and found 17
instances of no final inspection.
5. Pool builder was contacted by county attorney and the result was that
recipients of the builder's services could have the builder make corrections
or engage a private contractor to make corrections with cost born by the
pool builder.
6. Of the 17, 12 elected private contractors at an average cost of about
$500.00 (per info from county).
7. One lady is suing the pool builder as her granddaughter received an
electrical
shock as a result of the faulty work. Her foot was burned pretty badly
according to
Martha (Grandama).
My neighbor is an active pneumatics engineer and I am a retired EE. I served
on electrical code committees during my active years and still assist small
contractors.
I wonder how the "stupid members" of the group would feel if I had reported
that a child had been electrocuted by the faulty installation. From previous
comments probably just laugh it off as they are probably laughing about the
7 year old with the burned foot.
Ah well, you could have had a real belly laugh if it would have been your
child or grandchild.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Oct 1, 5:39*am, "Twice Retired" wrote:
[...]

Yeah, anything that's not going to be easily visible when finished
needs a few surprise drop-ins "just to see how it's going", such as
how deep the gravel is under the driveway, etc. or, for that matter,
how thick are they putting the bondo on your dented fender....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twice Retired" wrote

Yep, I will admit, some of the group are pretty stupid. No questions were
asked, only irrational judgments made.

Happens but keep in mind, many here are just learning with their first
house. They tend to make somewhat rash judgements, often caused by
insufficient information in the first post. Instead of asking, like they
should, they jump to conclusions.

1. My neighbor asked me to look at the installation as even he had some
doubts.

This makes it all clear (and yes, I saw you mentioned this right away after
someone didnt like your handling as they presumed you were just acting on
your own). Inadvertant on your part, I was thinking of asking if such was
the case myself when I read on and saw it was your neighbor asking for you
to take a look and help out. Totally different there.

5. Pool builder was contacted by county attorney and the result was that
recipients of the builder's services could have the builder make
corrections or engage a private contractor to make corrections with cost
born by the pool builder.

That or he'd lose his license I gather?

I wonder how the "stupid members" of the group would feel if I had
reported that a child had been electrocuted by the faulty installation.
From previous comments probably just laugh it off as they are probably
laughing about the 7 year old with the burned foot.

No, if you had said only that, they would have been mad at you for not
taking earlier action! Usenet...

Meantime, I've gotten and given quite a bit in this group as far as advice
for queries. Advice where I do not know a thing is generally fairly good
with a few exceptions, and given only in areas I have reasonable experience
in with specifics on what that experience is. Probably longest thread for
me, was helping a fellow with how to rescreen a wood porch with ancellary
advice on how to make proper 'pet borders' to keep them from damaging it too
much. (I have a 44ft wood porch fully screened at the back of the house, and
pets. I rescreen some portion of it annually but it may just be one small
bit where a fat cat made it bow out a little as the ledge is not that wide.
Got back from Japan after 6.5 years and had to do the whole thing again.)