Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryce Bryce is offline

Default Cheating Contractors

Twice Retired wrote:

It always amazing me as to what contractors of all types will try to get
away with. They go to extremes in order to bypass codes and inspections.

(snip)
Sometimes it's too easy:

Ten years ago, a builder put up three large homes on adjacent lots near me.
It appears that all three were sold either before construction began, or
soon after. Work proceeded on all three in parallel until the buildings
were weatherproof: roofing, siding, doors and windows installed. Then the
builder declared bankruptcy and walked away.

There are no sewers on the street (the several existing homes have septic).
Since a septic system is no longer allowed in new construction, these homes
are uninhabitable. The owners had long and totally unproductive
discussions with the city about extending sewers to this street. Now the
homes stand unfinished and abandoned.

I don't know whether the builder got permits or not. Either way, three
homeowners saw their dreams turn into a nightmare.