Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair

Default My 5GHz Wi-Fi is broken (how to add an internal 5GHz 802.11 n/acadapter)?

I just got a new home broadband router that has both 2.4GHz & 5GHz
and only then did I realize that both the Windows and Linux laptops
don't have a 5GHz Wi-Fi card (both only have 3.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n).

Neither has either 5GHz or 802.11 ac.
What are my options?

Note: I called Dell Hardware Sales for the "Inspiron 15 3521" at
800-289-3355 but they don't even have a part number for an internal
5GHz NIC, so they suggested an external USB stick, Dell part number:
$60 + tax (free shipping) Netgear A6068352
$50 + tax (free shipping) Linksys A8024912

Googling, I find some of the specs he

"Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter"
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...sku=A6068 352

"Linksys Mini AC Adapter AC580"
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...sku=A8024 912

My question is whether any of you experts has experience fitting an
*internal* 5GHz NIC into a Dell laptop, and whether it's true what
Dell said, which is that no internal Wi-Fi card will work?

If I must add 5GHz Wi-Fi externally, do you have suggestions as to how
to get a good 5GHz (ac) Wi-Fi USB stick that is both convenient and
powerful at a good price?

FS: NEW Minicircuits ZKL-1R5 RF MICROWAVE AMPLIFIER(s) 0.01-1.5GHz.$50 on Ebay (LOT of TEN) Mark Levitski Electronics Repair 10 November 3rd 09 12:54 PM
NEW Minicircuits ZKL-1R5 RF MICROWAVE AMPLIFIER(s) 0.01-1.5GHz. $50on Ebay (LOT of TEN) Mark Licetti Electronics 0 October 28th 09 05:22 AM
Internal BBQ [email protected] UK diy 7 September 22nd 07 11:47 PM
Trinitron Monitor Broken - Made Clicking Noises, Now Broken [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 3rd 05 10:57 PM
FA: Broken PIONEER DVL-V888 Laserdisc DVD / Broken sharp VL-H860U Hi8camcorder w/ LCD Screen robotron -X- Electronics Repair 0 March 24th 04 03:30 AM