Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair

Default My 5GHz Wi-Fi is broken (how to add an internal 5GHz 802.11 n/ac adapter)?

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 05:32:55 +0000 (UTC), ceg
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 10:52:16 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Please post back with comments on how the USB WiFi worked out.

I hooked up that Archer T4u today, and I'm not too happy with
it (as Jeff Liebermann had correctly predicted).
http://i.imgur.com/pAc1YYC.jpg

I knew it was big, but not that big. If you want speed, you'll need
MIMO (802.11n) spatial diversity support, which means more than one
antenna. 2x2 requires 2 antennas, 3x3 requires 3 antennas. If it
only has one antenna, you don't get spatial diversity, but still get
beam forming, assuming it's supported by your access point, and that
one of the two conflicting standards actually work. In order to get
decent separation of multiple streams, the antennas need to be some
distance apart. I don't know the magic minimum, but my guess(tm) is
about 2cm or so. That means a 3 antenna affair is going to be mostly
antennas, with maybe some electronics stuck into a corner.

Might as well look it up. The Archer T4u is rated at AC1200:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_Archer-T4U.html
n600 = Simultaneous dual band, both 300Mbps
n900 = Simultaneous dual band, both 450Mbps
ac1750 = Simultaneous dual band, 2.4GHz n450 and 5GHz ac1300
ac1900 = Simultaneous dual band, 2.4GHz n450 +QAM and 5GHz ac1300
I'm having problems remembering and finding the others. Duz anyone
have a good chart?

We're not done yet... With 802.11ac, which can use both the 2.4 and
5GHz bands simultaneously, using one antenna for both bands
simultaneous antenna is problematic because it might transmit one
band, while trying to receive on the other. Some claim that it works,
but I'm not a believer. So, you might get separate antennas for 2.4
and 5GHz, times the number of streams, which could easily mean 6
antennas. Dig out the FCCID number and see if there are any photos.
http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

Incidentally, with antennas, bigger usually is better. The rule of
thumb is: Small size, gain, bandwidth... pick any two.

The funny thing was that, at this college-friendly atmosphere,

Atmosphere? In the local colleges, that's the smell of beer accented
with marijuana. During finals week, add the smell of sweat.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D