Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron D. Ron D. is offline

Default My 5GHz Wi-Fi is broken (how to add an internal 5GHz 802.11 n/ac adapter)?

I know your all done, but the performance of Wireless AC can only be utilized with USB 3.0. The USB 2.0 limit of 480 Mbps

That said, I grabed a USB to MINI PCI contraption to try out an Intel Wireless AC/BT card. Glad I did. The card is not supported by the linux 12.04 kerna. You have to backport and compile an older Kernal for it to work. I haven't done that nor upgraded.

I'm still on the slow end of the stick with DSL, but I had a hard time convincing Verizon that I had NO use for a Wireless N router with a 100 MBPS Ethernet port.

Besides that, my AP is where it belongs (the center of the house) and the DS modem where it belongs (within 6' of the NID). Before running wires, I used a power over Ethernet to make that connection. Long long ago before DSL and Cable modems, I had wireless b WIFI over a DIAL-UP.

Ok, great, you you get say wireless n at 300 mbps and say you can sustain it, the Ethernet pipe is still limited to 100 Mbps. For "NORMAL" people that may be OK, but not when you want to connect to a Networked attached server with gigabit ports.