Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,sci.electronics.repair
ceg[_2_] ceg[_2_] is offline

Default My 5GHz Wi-Fi is broken (how to add an internal 5GHz 802.11n/ac adapter)?

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 10:52:16 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Please post back with comments on how the USB WiFi worked out.

I hooked up that Archer T4u today, and I'm not too happy with
it (as Jeff Liebermann had correctly predicted).
http://i.imgur.com/pAc1YYC.jpg

The thing worked, even though the bands were crowded:
http://i.imgur.com/nnZJY0J.jpg

But, the bad is that it's HUGE (way larger than a USB stick)
and as a result, it's a pain to plug in the USB adapter, and,
if *directly* plugged in, it kept getting bumped, causing the
operating system to beep and to lose connectivity momentarily.

Luckily, the manufacturer saw fit to include a usb-extension
cable, which is really the *only* way you'd want the TP-Link
Archer T4U (as you can see in the photo).

However, the good is that while Comcast nominal 45Mbps speeds
were about 30 to 38Mbps down on 2.4GHz (whether I used the
internal 2.4GHz NIC or the external Archer T4U 2.4GHz NIC), the
5GHz speeds were *phenomenally* better at 90Mbps down, which
you can see in the picture below:
http://i.imgur.com/pAc1YYC.jpg

Notice that the *wired* speed coming out the modem was about
90Mbps; and that the wired speed coming out of the back of
the router was similar; so the 5GHz speeds from the external
USB NIC were as good as wired.

The funny thing was that, at this college-friendly atmosphere,
the 5Ghz band was pretty crowded, as compared to the 2.4GHz
band; but I'm not exactly sure how to read this side-by-side
output from my Android WiFi-Analyzer app in the 5GHz bands.
http://i.imgur.com/nnZJY0J.jpg