Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DIY cushion for bread machine

We have a bread machine. The pan fits into a socket inside the machine,
with a small gasket to keep it tight. The parts places all call it a
cushion.

We lost it. The machine still works, but it rattles during kneading.

There are many places that sell them, in the end the cheapest I could get
including postage to Israel was $20. One place wanted 40 UKP for postage.

That's 1/3 of the price of a new machine.

Since it reaches over 400f while the bread is baking, I don't want to
put just any old rubber washer in there.

Does any have any suggestions for a locally available material (or even
from China via eBay) that could be cheaper and used to make it?

If you are familar with Srugu, do you think it would work, or would the
temperature be too high?

TIA,

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 15:39:03 +0000 (UTC) "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote in Message id:
:

We have a bread machine. The pan fits into a socket inside the machine,
with a small gasket to keep it tight. The parts places all call it a
cushion.

We lost it. The machine still works, but it rattles during kneading.

There are many places that sell them, in the end the cheapest I could get
including postage to Israel was $20. One place wanted 40 UKP for postage.

That's 1/3 of the price of a new machine.

Since it reaches over 400f while the bread is baking, I don't want to
put just any old rubber washer in there.

Does any have any suggestions for a locally available material (or even
from China via eBay) that could be cheaper and used to make it?

If you are familar with Srugu, do you think it would work, or would the
temperature be too high?

TIA,

Geoff.

Not sure about Srugu, but something like this?
http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/silic...mperature.html

In the US, though...

You didn't say what size or shape, but
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-SQUARE-SIL...em339ecd 6c25
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 21/04/2015 16:39, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
We have a bread machine. The pan fits into a socket inside the machine,
with a small gasket to keep it tight. The parts places all call it a
cushion.

We lost it. The machine still works, but it rattles during kneading.

There are many places that sell them, in the end the cheapest I could get
including postage to Israel was $20. One place wanted 40 UKP for postage.

That's 1/3 of the price of a new machine.

Since it reaches over 400f while the bread is baking, I don't want to
put just any old rubber washer in there.

Does any have any suggestions for a locally available material (or even
from China via eBay) that could be cheaper and used to make it?

If you are familar with Srugu, do you think it would work, or would the
temperature be too high?

TIA,

Geoff.

There's all sort of kitchen bakeware made of silicone rubber around
these days. Cut the perimeter band off an 8/10 or 12 inch pie mould , it
can stretch quite a lot, to wrap around a pan.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JW wrote:

Not sure about Srugu, but something like this?
http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/silic...mperature.html

In the US, though...

You didn't say what size or shape, but
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-SQUARE-SIL...em339ecd 6c25

Thanks, probably either would work, but the cheapest one is $20 including
postage.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

There's all sort of kitchen bakeware made of silicone rubber around
these days. Cut the perimeter band off an 8/10 or 12 inch pie mould , it
can stretch quite a lot, to wrap around a pan.

Thanks, that probably would do. It's about 3 inches in diameter and 1/4 of an
inch thick.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 21/04/2015 19:14, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

There's all sort of kitchen bakeware made of silicone rubber around
these days. Cut the perimeter band off an 8/10 or 12 inch pie mould , it
can stretch quite a lot, to wrap around a pan.

Thanks, that probably would do. It's about 3 inches in diameter and 1/4 of an
inch thick.

Geoff.

There are loads of moulds for cakes,pies or something of the order 3
inch diameter, you can always overlay strips to bulk up width .
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 04/21/2015 11:39 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
We have a bread machine. The pan fits into a socket inside the machine,
with a small gasket to keep it tight. The parts places all call it a
cushion.

We lost it. The machine still works, but it rattles during kneading.

There are many places that sell them, in the end the cheapest I could get
including postage to Israel was $20. One place wanted 40 UKP for postage.

That's 1/3 of the price of a new machine.

Since it reaches over 400f while the bread is baking, I don't want to
put just any old rubber washer in there.

Does any have any suggestions for a locally available material (or even
from China via eBay) that could be cheaper and used to make it?

If you are familar with Srugu, do you think it would work, or would the
temperature be too high?

TIA,

Geoff.

Food grade RTV silicone, e.g. http://tinyurl.com/oy9wnxl .