Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default BlackBerry charger doesn't charge Motorola V3xx Razr

Hi. I have a Motorola V3xx Razr phone. It has a USB Mini-B jack for charging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-US...cro_connectors

I tried charging it with a BlackBerry wall wart. I can't make out the model number of the wall wart due to the small size of the type. I can come up with that later. When I plugged the BlackBerry wall wart into the phone, the phone came on, but the battery did not charge.

I tried another wall wart. It's a Verizon wireless model PW-1BGT charger, which can source 800 mA at 5.0 V. When I plugged it into the phone, the phone's "charging battery" screen lit up. It did charge the phone's battery pack. When I disconnected it, the phone turned itself off.

The pinout chart at Wikipedia makes me think that there is difference in the way pin 4 is wired, rather than an inability of the BlackBerry charger to source sufficient current.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-USB#Pinouts

Am I right?

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Perhaps, but my guess is that the problem is elsewhere.

Read down a bit further to the "Charging ports and accessory charging
adapters" section.

My guess is that the Razr phone has a different method/protocol to
determine the amount of charging current available from the "upstream"
device than the BlackBerry wall wart. As a result, the Razr isn't
able to identify the wart as a source that can supply the amount of
current that the Razr's charging circuitry requires.

A USB-connected device is supposed to behave as a "low power" device
(drawing no more than one 100 mA unit load) unless/until it
successfully negotiates with the upstream device and is granted
permission to draw more power, or unless it successfully identifies
the upstream device as a dumb "dedicated charger". My guess is that
neither of these things happens when you connect to the BlackBerry
wart, and so the Razr is "playing by the rules" and is drawing only
the minimum amount of power.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/20/2013 4:05 PM, Beloved Leader wrote:

The pinout chart at Wikipedia makes me think that there is difference in the way pin 4

is wired, rather than an inability of the BlackBerry charger to source
sufficient current.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-USB#Pinouts

Am I right?

Thanks.

Solder pin 4 to pin 1, it will charge then.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, December 20, 2013 4:05:11 PM UTC-5, Beloved Leader wrote:
I can't make out the model number of the wall wart due to the small size of the type. I can come up with that later.

== == == ==

Thanks for the answers.

I managed to make out the model number of the BlackBerry wall wart. It is PSM05R-050CHW (R) P {though I think the (R) and P are not part of the model number.} The RIM part number is ASY-07559-001. It is able to source 500 mA at 5V.

Hmm: someone's trying to sell one at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-BlackB.../dp/B0050G3AO2

And here too:

http://esparestore.com/goods-122-PSM...Cellphone.html

They call it a charger. I guess it has enough output for the models of BlackBerry devices listed, but not enough to charge the V3xx Razr. Either that, or I wouldn't have to solder pins 1 and 4 for the device to charge one of the specified BlackBerrys, as one respondent said would make it charge the Razr.

I left the Razr at home, but a search shows that it uses a BZ60 battery, said by at least one seller to be good for 900mAh.

Thank you again.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, December 20, 2013 5:04:41 PM UTC-5, David Platt wrote:
Perhaps, but my guess is that the problem is elsewhere. Read down a bit further to the "Charging ports and accessory charging adapters" section.

Thanks. I found that thread, from last September, "USB chargers, anyone?"

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/sci.electronics.repair/charging$20ports/sci.electronics.repair/nTjHvzmHZtU/xO_39aTypQwJ

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:05:11 -0800 (PST), Beloved Leader
wrote:

[...]

I think so...
There appears to be a 200k resistor /inside/ the motorola charger
cable moulded mini USB plug:-
http://pinoutsguide.com/ChargersAdap...r_pinout.shtml

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hi. I have a Motorola V3xx Razr phone. It has a USB Mini-B jack for charging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-US...cro_connectors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-USB#Pinouts

There appears to be a 200k resistor /inside/ the motorola charger

cable moulded mini USB plug:-

http://pinoutsguide.com/ChargersAdap...r_pinout.shtml

Thanks for the link. The page at Pinoutsguide seems not to use the same nomenclature for number pins as the page at Wikipedia. It's easy enough to figure out what they mean.

My takeaway from this is that universal chargers are not as universal as they seem.

Thanks again for everyone who has helped me.