Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Charge gel cell with car charger?

A friend has a battery powered Ryobi lawn trimmer ("weed whacker") which
doesn't work. The 12vdc wall wart puts out only ~ 12.4v.

I charged the lead-acid gel cell using a car charger. The charge rate
(selectable) was 0.5A. Afterward the trimmer seemed to work as new.

Can the car charger be used to charge this battery? He can install a timer to
limit charge time if that's something required.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

The gel cell is 12v.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On a sunny day (Sun, 24 Feb 2013 00:06:18 -0800) it happened Mike Cook
wrote in
:

A friend has a battery powered Ryobi lawn trimmer ("weed whacker") which
doesn't work. The 12vdc wall wart puts out only ~ 12.4v.

I charged the lead-acid gel cell using a car charger. The charge rate
(selectable) was 0.5A. Afterward the trimmer seemed to work as new.

Can the car charger be used to charge this battery? He can install a timer to
limit charge time if that's something required.

Thanks.

Old trick was to put a car headlight or some other low voltage bulb (break light)
in series as current limiter.
Maybe modern car has only LEDs, dunno, :-)

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 02/24/2013 12:06 AM, Mike Cook wrote:
A friend has a battery powered Ryobi lawn trimmer ("weed whacker") which
doesn't work. The 12vdc wall wart puts out only ~ 12.4v.

I charged the lead-acid gel cell using a car charger. The charge rate
(selectable) was 0.5A. Afterward the trimmer seemed to work as new.

Can the car charger be used to charge this battery? He can install a timer to
limit charge time if that's something required.

Thanks.

You answered your own question. As long as the battery doesn't heat up
on a big charge you're probably OK. Trickle chargers can do more harm
than good. I'd find a smartcharger with a "lead-acid" setting.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 02/24/2013 12:30 AM, Mike Cook wrote:
The gel cell is 12v.

Most lead acid batteries are ca. 13.6 Vdc If your car battery ever got
down to 12 Vdc the car would have trouble starting. Lead acid cells are
about 2.22 Vdc.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"dave"

You answered your own question. As long as the battery doesn't heat up on
a big charge you're probably OK.

** SLA or "gel cells" are prone to gassing when overcharged.

The pressure builds up inside until something gives - then you have bits
of battery and acid all over the place.

Voltage & current limited charging is the only safe and sensible way.

.... Phil

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"dave"
Phil Allison

You answered your own question. As long as the battery doesn't heat up
on
a big charge you're probably OK.

** SLA or "gel cells" are prone to gassing when overcharged.

The pressure builds up inside until something gives - then you have
bits
of battery and acid all over the place.

Voltage & current limited charging is the only safe and sensible way.

They have vents.

** So you have no ****ing idea what really happens.

..... Phil

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Mike Cook wrote:
A friend has a battery powered Ryobi lawn trimmer ("weed whacker") which
doesn't work. The 12vdc wall wart puts out only ~ 12.4v.

I charged the lead-acid gel cell using a car charger. The charge rate
(selectable) was 0.5A. Afterward the trimmer seemed to work as new.

Can the car charger be used to charge this battery? He can install a timer to
limit charge time if that's something required.

Thanks.

THe OEM charger most likely is unfiltered. Put a cap on the output but
do not connect it to the battery and then do a voltage check.

If you see a jump in voltage then this means the battery is on its
last leg and you really shouldn't push it.

A good test for this condition is to fully charge it with your auto
charger and disconnect it and test the voltage a day later or few hours
later to note the discharge.

It is possible the charger is bad but I am going with a
bad battery. You can always get a weak battery to appear good with an
extra current source but the charge will dwindle.

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Otherwise known as/a-k-a LER.. light emitting resistor, and they work well
for current limiters.
Brake light, side marker light, license plate light etc all have different
current ratings.

Measure the current at full operating voltage, which can be written on the
bulb/lamp base.
Sockets with leads can be purchased at auto parts stores, or leads can be
soldered to many lamps.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message

Old trick was to put a car headlight or some other low voltage bulb (break
light)
in series as current limiter.
Maybe modern car has only LEDs, dunno, :-)

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 00:06:18 -0800, Mike Cook wrote:

A friend has a battery powered Ryobi lawn trimmer ("weed whacker") which
doesn't work. The 12vdc wall wart puts out only ~ 12.4v.

I charged the lead-acid gel cell using a car charger. The charge rate
(selectable) was 0.5A. Afterward the trimmer seemed to work as new.

Can the car charger be used to charge this battery? He can install a
timer to limit charge time if that's something required.

Thanks.

Go to a boat shop, feed store, hardware store, whatever, and get a float
charger.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Mike Cook wrote:

A friend has a battery powered Ryobi lawn trimmer ("weed whacker") which
doesn't work. The 12vdc wall wart puts out only ~ 12.4v.

In or out of circuit? If the thing doesn't have any filter caps, the
out of circuit reading will be low.

I charged the lead-acid gel cell using a car charger. The charge rate
(selectable) was 0.5A. Afterward the trimmer seemed to work as new.

Can the car charger be used to charge this battery? He can install a timer to
limit charge time if that's something required.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

dave wrote:

On 02/24/2013 05:14 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
"dave"

You answered your own question. As long as the battery doesn't heat up on
a big charge you're probably OK.

** SLA or "gel cells" are prone to gassing when overcharged.

The pressure builds up inside until something gives - then you have bits
of battery and acid all over the place.

Voltage & current limited charging is the only safe and sensible way.

... Phil

They have vents.

They are damaged long before they can vent.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Mike Cook wrote:
A friend has a battery powered Ryobi lawn trimmer ("weed whacker") which
doesn't work. The 12vdc wall wart puts out only ~ 12.4v.

I charged the lead-acid gel cell using a car charger. The charge rate
(selectable) was 0.5A. Afterward the trimmer seemed to work as new.

Can the car charger be used to charge this battery? He can install a timer to
limit charge time if that's something required.

Thanks.

THe OEM charger most likely is unfiltered. Put a cap on the output but
do not connect it to the battery and then do a voltage check.

More bad bad advice from Maynard Philbrook, as usual. Does the
voltage across the battery go up when the charger is connected?

If you see a jump in voltage then this means the battery is on its
last leg and you really shouldn't push it.

Bull****, as always. The connector for the charger may be bad,
especially if it disconnects the battery from the tool while on charge.
I've seen connects melted, or the solder overheat 7 the wires fall off
poor designs.

A good test for this condition is to fully charge it with your auto
charger and disconnect it and test the voltage a day later or few hours
later to note the discharge.

It is possible the charger is bad but I am going with a
bad battery. You can always get a weak battery to appear good with an
extra current source but the charge will dwindle.

You're long overdue for replacement.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 07:56:18 +1000, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 00:06:18 -0800, Mike Cook wrote:

A friend has a battery powered Ryobi lawn trimmer ("weed whacker") which
doesn't work. The 12vdc wall wart puts out only ~ 12.4v.

I charged the lead-acid gel cell using a car charger. The charge rate
(selectable) was 0.5A. Afterward the trimmer seemed to work as new.

Can the car charger be used to charge this battery? He can install a
timer to limit charge time if that's something required.

Thanks.

Go to a boat shop, feed store, hardware store, whatever, and get a float
charger.

Get a gel-cell float charger. The recommended terminal charging voltage
for a gel-cell is slightly lower than for a standard lead acid.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
On a sunny day (Sun, 24 Feb 2013 00:06:18 -0800) it happened Mike Cook
wrote in
:

A friend has a battery powered Ryobi lawn trimmer ("weed whacker") which
doesn't work. The 12vdc wall wart puts out only ~ 12.4v.

I charged the lead-acid gel cell using a car charger. The charge rate
(selectable) was 0.5A. Afterward the trimmer seemed to work as new.

Can the car charger be used to charge this battery? He can install a timer
limit charge time if that's something required.

Thanks.

Old trick was to put a car headlight or some other low voltage bulb (break
light)
in series as current limiter.
Maybe modern car has only LEDs, dunno, :-)

Its a trick I often use if I have to, but increasingly I turn to the more
modern electronic/microcontroller type chargers that automatically switch to
trickle charge.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"dave" wrote in message
On 02/24/2013 05:14 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
"dave"

You answered your own question. As long as the battery doesn't heat up
on
a big charge you're probably OK.

** SLA or "gel cells" are prone to gassing when overcharged.

The pressure builds up inside until something gives - then you have
bits
of battery and acid all over the place.

Voltage & current limited charging is the only safe and sensible way.

... Phil

They have vents.

How very convenient - till you have to pry off the glued on cover plate to
refill the gassed off electrolyte, then glue/tape it all back together.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Jamie" t wrote in message
Mike Cook wrote:
A friend has a battery powered Ryobi lawn trimmer ("weed whacker") which
doesn't work. The 12vdc wall wart puts out only ~ 12.4v.

I charged the lead-acid gel cell using a car charger. The charge rate
(selectable) was 0.5A. Afterward the trimmer seemed to work as new. Can
the car charger be used to charge this battery? He can install a timer to
limit charge time if that's something required.

Thanks.

THe OEM charger most likely is unfiltered. Put a cap on the output but do
not connect it to the battery and then do a voltage check.

The old "iron-transformer" chargers were usually impedance limited, so the
off load voltage will be significantly more than nominal (enough to get a
mildly sulphated battery going). In addition a capacitor would charge to the
AC peak so what you read would be even higher still.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:36:52 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

[...]

---
That's a good thing, since it puts you squarely into the rank of a
"consumer", where you clearly belong, instead of into the ranks of
designers, where you've clearly demonstrated you don't belong.

I could be wrong of course, and I'd welcome any rebuttal you might
want to proffer with respect to the lamps and loads you used for
eliciting your various "tricks".

--
JF
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 24/02/2013 08:06, Mike Cook wrote:
A friend has a battery powered Ryobi lawn trimmer ("weed whacker")
which doesn't work. The 12vdc wall wart puts out only ~ 12.4v.

I charged the lead-acid gel cell using a car charger. The charge
rate (selectable) was 0.5A. Afterward the trimmer seemed to work as
new.

For how long?

Can the car charger be used to charge this battery? He can install a
timer to limit charge time if that's something required.

Lead acid batteries are fickle things but last a long time if looked after.

I would prefer to use a charger that could detect end point and either
turn off or supply a constant voltage. There are some car battery
chargers that do this.

A final thing is to check battery terminal voltage. During a fast
charge you might accept a voltage of 14.5V, but under long term (float
charge) I wouldn't want the charger to push out more that 13.8V.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:46:14 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

But, more than likely not, since I requested that you elaborate with
an explanation of your "tricks" and you reply with snippage and
dodging.

--
JF
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

No you didn't (the senility really is robbing your faculties!) The trick was
already described by someone else - I merely replied I do that too (and no -
I can't be bothered drawing pictures because you're too thick to
understand).

You're not only wrong, but stumbling about in a state of advanced dementia.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

My request was about having you describe the dynamics of a
light-bulb-in-series-with-a-battery current limiter which, no matter
how loudly or how long you squeal excuses about why you can't, you
can't, of course.

Unlike you, I've done empirical work which has resulted in published
plots of tungsten lamp filament resistances being functions of
voltages across, and currents through the filament.

I'll email you the plots, if you like.

Your admission to being a copycat hardly qualifies you as an
authority, and certainly explains why you "can't be bothered drawing
pictures" of what you can't envision.
---

You're not only wrong, but stumbling about in a state of advanced dementia.

---
Wow, with your super-quick response, you must really want me to notice
you and have you suck my dick or have me **** you up the ass...

Sorry, Charlie...

--
JF
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

m...

wrote:

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message

On a sunny day (Sun, 24 Feb 2013 00:06:18 -0800) it happened Mike Cook
wrote in
al-september.org:

[...]

One of your fetishes?

Jamie

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 18:44:16 -0500, Jamie
t wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Wow, with your super-quick response, you must really want me to notice
you and have you suck my dick or have me **** you up the ass...

Sorry, Charlie...

One of your fetishes?

Jamie

---
No, just conjecture, but it's interesting how, when the conversation
turns lewd, you people are drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

--
JF
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

The bulb trick isn't that great because of its pronounced PTC
characteristic - as the filament voltage decreases the current doesn't
decrease in due proportion.

I did try to dumb it down for you - I do hope I didn't use too many big
words for you!

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

om...

wrote:

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message

On a sunny day (Sun, 24 Feb 2013 00:06:18 -0800) it happened Mike
Cook
wrote in
nal-september.org:

[...]

I'm not so sure "victim" is quite the right word for whoever JF singles out
for a tirade of foul mouthed abuse. He's a sad pathetic figure who's antics
serve only to further demonstrate to onlookers that he's lost the plot.

He's clearly too demented to have any embarassment about being so brave
from behind his keyboard.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

t wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Wow, with your super-quick response, you must really want me to notice
you and have you suck my dick or have me **** you up the ass...

Sorry, Charlie...

One of your fetishes?

Jamie

---
No, just conjecture, but it's interesting how, when the conversation
turns lewd, you people are drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

As you're so keen - you can pick up butt pirates while you're standing on
street corners shouting at the passing traffic.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:17:04 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
.. .

My request was about having you describe the dynamics of a
light-bulb-in-series-with-a-battery current limiter which, no matter
how loudly or how long you squeal excuses about why you can't, you
can't, of course.

The bulb trick isn't that great because of its pronounced PTC
characteristic - as the filament voltage decreases the current doesn't
decrease in due proportion.

---
???

If a you want the current to change linearly with voltage, then a
simple resistor will do the trick so, obviously, you don't understand
how the bulb trick works.
---

I did try to dumb it down for you - I do hope I didn't use too many big
words for you!

---
The words are no problem but it seems, for you, the theory _is_.

Would you like me to explain how the bulb trick works in terms even
you could understand?
--
JF
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Posted the same thing twice, huh?

Must be exciting to have some old dude ruffle your feathers to the
point where you don't know whether you're coming or going!

Strange, but that reminds me of an old limerick:

There once was a young man from Kent
whose dick was so long that it bent.
To save him some trouble,
he stuck it in double,
And instead of coming he went.

Certainly a problem you'll never have to contend with.

--
JF
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:22:39 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

I'm not so sure "victim" is quite the right word for whoever JF singles out
for a tirade of foul mouthed abuse. He's a sad pathetic figure who's antics
serve only to further demonstrate to onlookers that he's lost the plot.

---
You pretend to sagacity and literacy and yet use a contraction when
the use of a possessive pronoun is de rigueur?

Tsk, tsk, tsk.
---

He's clearly too demented to have any embarassment about being so brave
from behind his keyboard.

---
It's amazing how semi-macho you faggot pukes get when you've been
cornered.

--
JF
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

t wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Wow, with your super-quick response, you must really want me to notice
you and have you suck my dick or have me **** you up the ass...

Sorry, Charlie...

One of your fetishes?

Jamie

---
No, just conjecture, but it's interesting how, when the conversation
turns lewd, you people are drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

As you're so keen - you can pick up butt pirates while you're standing on
street corners shouting at the passing traffic.

---
It seems to me that you're the captain of that ship, you're flying the
"Jolly Roger" with crossed dicks, and there's never shore leave for
your crew.

Another limerick comes to mind:

Columbus had a cabin boy,
and Ian was the nipper.
He lined his ass
with broken glass
and circumcised the skipper.

--
JF
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

news:2dvni890e0mu6d56odaunfsqgu8ssjt7qm@4ax. com...
wrote:

[...]

Actually I was wondering if WLM is yet another flaky POS designed by you -
it sometimes jams up in the outbox, then sends it twice next time the app is
started.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

You're so scattered I wouldn't trust anything from you even if it "looked"
right!

All that weed you keep smoking has given you dopers crott.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

t wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Wow, with your super-quick response, you must really want me to notice
you and have you suck my dick or have me **** you up the ass...

Sorry, Charlie...

One of your fetishes?

Jamie

---
No, just conjecture, but it's interesting how, when the conversation
turns lewd, you people are drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

Well, a lot of us love to watch a circus side show..

Jamie

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

t wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Wow, with your super-quick response, you must really want me to notice
you and have you suck my dick or have me **** you up the ass...

Sorry, Charlie...

One of your fetishes?

Jamie

---
No, just conjecture, but it's interesting how, when the conversation
turns lewd, you people are drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

Well, a lot of us love to watch a circus side show..

And it was JF who opened the door with his reference to his favourite
pastime of cocksucking.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I understand how the light bulb works, but I'm very interested in
hearing YOUR explanation.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:54:29 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message
.. .

Posted the same thing twice, huh?

Actually I was wondering if WLM is yet another flaky POS designed by you -
it sometimes jams up in the outbox, then sends it twice next time the app is
started.

---
Certainly if WLM was my creation it would work as advertised, as
everything I do does.

If it doesn't, for you, then I'd suspect cockpit error is the problem
and you should get in touch with Microsoft instead of whining about
your problems to me.

An easy solution for your problem would be for you to get a real
newsreader and blow off Microsoft, but how likely is that to happen
when all you want to do is fix the blame instead of the problem?

--
JF