Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geo[_3_] Geo[_3_] is offline

Default BlackBerry charger doesn't charge Motorola V3xx Razr

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:05:11 -0800 (PST), Beloved Leader
wrote:

Hi. I have a Motorola V3xx Razr phone. It has a USB Mini-B jack for charging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-US...cro_connectors

I tried charging it with a BlackBerry wall wart. I can't make out the model number of the wall wart due to the small size of the type. I can come up with that later. When I plugged the BlackBerry wall wart into the phone, the phone came on, but the battery did not charge.

I tried another wall wart. It's a Verizon wireless model PW-1BGT charger, which can source 800 mA at 5.0 V. When I plugged it into the phone, the phone's "charging battery" screen lit up. It did charge the phone's battery pack. When I disconnected it, the phone turned itself off.

The pinout chart at Wikipedia makes me think that there is difference in the way pin 4 is wired, rather than an inability of the BlackBerry charger to source sufficient current.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-USB#Pinouts

Am I right?

I think so...
There appears to be a 200k resistor /inside/ the motorola charger
cable moulded mini USB plug:-
http://pinoutsguide.com/ChargersAdap...r_pinout.shtml

Thanks.